Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Storing a rifle in hard case.

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by Jacketed, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jacketed

Jacketed Edmonds,WA Member

Hi all,

I was wondering how do you store the rifle in a hard case? Do you put a rifle sock on it before putting it away?

I have heard that a sock will catch moisture and can rust the rifle?

Thanks.

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The only type of hard case I would ever store a rifle in is a top opening vertical mount style. Where the rifle is placed in the box in the same orrientation and when you are holding it to shoot it. Then the rifle should only touch the case at the butt plate and under the end of the forearm. Same way it does when standing in a rifle rack vertically.

I have two such travel cases I built from 5/8" Plywood. One a HD bang around in the back of a Pickup that will hold to 24" barrel bolt action hunting rifles. and another that is lighter built with 3/4" square frame and 1/4" plywood covering for my 26 and 28" barreled rifles.

You can see photos of the long case here:

Rifle travel box pictures by UJ78 - Photobucket

This way air can circulate around the rifles. But I always store my rifles cleaned and oiled standing in a rifle rack with a piece of felt or wool blanket padding the top section of the rack where it touches the rifle. I use a light grease in the bore to prevent dripping and to protect the bore. I always clear the bore with a couple patches on a jag before shooting.

3. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Firearm Storage & Preservation Bags

Manufactured in the USA, by Heritage Packaging

The original ZCORR bags use a heavy duty VCI impregnated foil laminated material to provide years of corrosion protection. They also incorporate an industrial grade reusable Velcro closure to ensure that your firearm stays in the bag and safe from rust & corrosion.

Including...
    Compact Tactical Weapon Bag
    Long Rifle Bag
    Tactical Weapon Bag
    Universal Pistol Bag
    Universal Shotgun/Rifle Bag

4. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

you are thinking too much. ;)

Clean and lube before storing away. By the way I use gun sock and no issue at all.

5. Jacketed

Jacketed Edmonds,WA Member

Yeah I guess you are right :)

I was looking at the sock at Walmart and was tempted to buy, good to hear that it works ok.

6. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

This is what I use, sackups but I am only using those to avoid scratches.

7. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

Do the sox's affect the stocks at all????

8. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

As always I will have to say Protective Gun Cases Silicon Treated - Bore Stores

I had 3 guns in these for 3 years in a hard case,without any extra detectable rust.
    Nice and thick like your fleece coat and they wick the moisture away from the gun
    The newest gun was from the early 70s and the oldest was from close to 1900.
    I would never store a gun in anything but these if not in a safe.
    Man I should get free stuff from these guys as much as I promote their site.