JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If you purchase this or something like it to carry in a compact SUV type vehicle (5 seater), that will have children (gun(s) will be aways transported empty chamber with loaded or unloaded magazine(s) NOT inserted and separate from the gun(s), with a trigger lock on gun(s), per most of Oregon "Open Carry" laws), where is the safest (and most legal, "not easily accessable") seat to attach it to if the child rides in the passenger rear seat? Rather ask a maybe stupid question now than make a stupid decision later.

Screenshot_20200924-200357.png

If you do not have a CHL, I believe that in a vehicle that does not have a secure compartment (e.g., trunk, locking console) then a handgun has to be carried in a locked container.

But if the handgun is readily accessible (not in a locked container or not in control of an adult) to a minor under the age of 18 then that is most likely prohibited the way I read the law, whether it is concealed or not?

If you do not have a CHL, I believe that in a vehicle that does not have a secure compartment (e.g., trunk, locking console) then a handgun has to be carried in a locked container.

But if the handgun is readily accessible (not in a locked container or not in control of an adult) to a minor under the age of 18 then that is most likely prohibited the way I read the law, whether it is concealed or not?
There are exceptions for single compartment vehicles such as SUVs from my understanding, and I think a trigger lock counts from what I read, but that's why I'm in here, better be safe than a felon.

If you purchase this or something like it to carry in a compact SUV type vehicle (5 seater), that will have children (gun(s) will be aways transported empty chamber with loaded or unloaded magazine(s) NOT inserted and separate from the gun(s), with a trigger lock on gun(s), per most of Oregon "Open Carry" laws), where is the safest (and most legal, "not easily accessable") seat to attach it to if the child rides in the passenger rear seat? Rather ask a maybe stupid question now than make a stupid decision later.

View attachment 754177
"To carry in a compact suv."? That's not "carry", a gun on your hip is carry.. why not do that?

Skip it.

Meth head bob or sally will smash a window for loose change a minute after your gone. Seeing something like such, even without anything in it?

Sad to say.

As towards legal storage? I'm pretty sure @The Heretic nailed it, for non-CHL holders, and having other occupants.

No worries, I wasn't specific on purpose, I plan to own several types just staring with an AR cause I can't get the handgun I want right now, and the carry rules should apply equally.

They don't

And I see nothing in the ordinance about a trigger lock.

Understand that if it isn't in the ordinance then it doesn't "count". A trigger lock is not a "locked compartment".

They don't

And I see nothing in the ordinance about a trigger lock.

Understand that if it isn't in the ordinance then it doesn't "count". A trigger lock is not a "locked compartment".
Yeah you're right, I was confusing ATV rules with SUV, see, that's why it's good to double check, saves a felony! Guess I'll need to get a stupid, expensive car safe. Or know where all open gun ranges are in the state and just say I'm on the way to whichever is closest.

Even if you have a CHL, in a car "the weapon must be under your control". If you are driving and have a pistol in the glove box (not the console) and you have a child in the shotgun seat technically the child is considered 'in control'.
That said, they do make mag well inserts that lock, and can quick-release.

Have considered a truck gun also but am hesitant to leave it in the truck. Which leaves it to a backpack sized one.

As a CHL holder and driver of an SUV, I have attached to the seat frame a VaulTek
LifePod. I still have on my person whatever carry Gun the season and clothing dictate I carry, but the VaulTek LifePod gives me another option. The "gun safe" is attached by an easily defeatable cable, so be sure to slide the thing under your seat so it's out of view.

1601047630566.png

Just while we're on the topic. Make sure you brush up on Portland's laws too if you plan to drive anywhere near the city without a Chl.

If I remember correctly, you can't drive through Ptown with a loaded mag unless you have a chl. (It could have changed, no longer a concern)

I don't remember how old your chillen(s) are from your other post. But I personally would be loath to have a softcase where a child could get the gun out, even with all the other safety measures you mentioned. I can just picture you going into a store and the kid gets the gun out and is waving it around and pointing it Pew Pew at people out the window. :eek::eek::eek:

Hardcase, yeah. Pistol case locked in the console. Or rifle case locked bolted to the rear compartment side or floor. (For permanent storage. For transportation, none of that is needed.)

Just while we're on the topic. Make sure you brush up on Portland's laws too if you plan to drive anywhere near the city without a Chl.

If I remember correctly, you can't drive through Ptown with a loaded mag unless you have a chl. (It could have changed, no longer a concern)

I believe that if the mag is separate from the firearm then you are ok - but I could be wrong.

For handguns, a simple and inexpensive locking container meets the definition of the law (IMO - IANAL) and a secure one is a good idea as there are times that you may wish to leave the firearm in the vehicle when not with the vehicle.

As a CHL holder and driver of an SUV, I have attached to the seat frame a VaulTek
LifePod. I still have on my person whatever carry Gun the season and clothing dictate I carry, but the VaulTek LifePod gives me another option. The "gun safe" is attached by an easily defeatable cable, so be sure to slide the thing under your seat so it's out of view.

View attachment 754321
Yeah I'm actually looking at the biometric TK model on Amazon now too, it's a little bigger, could probably fit the AR mags a little more comfy. And quick open for when I'm carrying the handgun instead of the AR.

Portland, and Multnomah county is THE WORST, unloaded, both gun AND mags, ridiculous sauce.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top