JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Any of you procured a FFL within the last year or so...? If you have, is a person required to have a "store front" in the state of Oregon. I found a thread from 2012 and it seemed like they were cracking down on issuing FFLs to individuals that want to work from their home.

Thanks.

I spoke with ATF in Portland late last year and they said they have no problem with home based FFL. As long as where you live is not prohibited by local policies

I'm in the early stages of research so forgive my ignorance. What local policies are common that would prohibit a person from working with an FFL from home? Does your home become your "business" so zoning issues comes into play?

I'm in the early stages of research so forgive my ignorance. What local policies are common that would prohibit a person from working with an FFL from home? Does your home become your "business" so zoning issues comes into play?
For us it was making sure the City had not prohibited home based Businesses in our area. Simple visit to City Clerks office was all it took.

Yes that's a good read, I'm about 98% convinced but then I realized I could have some local restrictions. Figured someone on here must have a little first hand experience in dealing with Oregon.

In Roseburg there is a gun shop been here quite awhile and is located in a persons home, they sell from there to the public.

Last Edited:
As long as it's not prohibited where you live, the ATF doesn't care, I deal with several home based FFLs all the time.

Some of the big gun distributors won't give you dealer pricing without a storefront however.

As long as it's not prohibited where you live, the ATF doesn't care, I deal with several home based FFLs all the time.

Some of the big gun distributors won't give you dealer pricing without a storefront however.
100% Correct! I made sure to have a letter from my HOA blessing my home based business/FFL and I am in a school zone, so special hoops. to jump thorugh. Can I buy from Sports South? Nope, but I find a way to get what people ask for. I see it is getting harder to start a FFL as home-based, many of the places I buy from now would not have me as a new customer.

Jeremy

If you're located right next door to a school might be a problem.
I actually was looking at a former credit union property that is a cut out from the local elementary school, but someone else got their financing together first and it will be a convenience store one day. It is never a NO as long as you deal with concerns respectfully.

Yes that's a good read, I'm about 98% convinced but then I realized I could have some local restrictions. Figured someone on here must have a little first hand experience in dealing with Oregon.
There are zero legitimate local laws to prohibit gun stores, that is managed at the state level and they are very specific in their control. You will win in court if you choose to fight/spend the money. I moved out to Banks from Happy Valley, it would be a great location off Sunnyside Rd to have a storefront, parking in a neighborhood is typically the number 1 concern or your neighbors, so hopefully you have a long driveway!

I started July 2016, no zoning changes, just a city business license and HOA approval

I think the big thing several times in the past was people getting FFLs while not actually being in the business of selling the guns; i.e., they would use the FFL to get good prices for themselves and their buddies, and/or just be someone convenient to order guns they wanted. Most of those people doing that did not have an actual place of business.

If you are actually in the business, then as far as the ATF is concerned, you are good. Conversely, if you are in the business of selling guns and do NOT have an FFL, then you may attract their attention and if you do, the sky will fall on your head.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top