Oregon Store Front Required for FFL

Discussion in 'Firearm Laws & Legal' started by CRohde, Apr 16, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Tags:
  1. CRohde

CRohde
    Happy Valley, OR

Any of you procured a FFL within the last year or so...? If you have, is a person required to have a "store front" in the state of Oregon. I found a thread from 2012 and it seemed like they were cracking down on issuing FFLs to individuals that want to work from their home.

Thanks.

Kurt82 and MilitantBEEMER like this.
  2. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER
    Eugene
    Refugee from the People's Republic of Illinois Gold Supporter

I spoke with ATF in Portland late last year and they said they have no problem with home based FFL. As long as where you live is not prohibited by local policies

CRohde, IOM and Kurt82 like this.
  3. CRohde

CRohde
    Happy Valley, OR

I'm in the early stages of research so forgive my ignorance. What local policies are common that would prohibit a person from working with an FFL from home? Does your home become your "business" so zoning issues comes into play?

4. SIG34

SIG34
    Lynnwood WA

I’ve heard you need a storefront in Washington state, but C&R license homebased. I’m not a lawyer or have played one on Tv so just my 2 cents :D

FireArm and CRohde like this.
  5. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER
    Eugene

For us it was making sure the City had not prohibited home based Businesses in our area. Simple visit to City Clerks office was all it took.

CRohde likes this.
  6. MilitantBEEMER

MilitantBEEMER
    Eugene

If you call the ATF in Portland they are very helpful in answering questions.

7. CRohde

CRohde
    Happy Valley, OR

I'm on it! Thanks for the good info.

MilitantBEEMER likes this.
  8. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

9. CRohde

CRohde
    Happy Valley, OR

Yes that's a good read, I'm about 98% convinced but then I realized I could have some local restrictions. Figured someone on here must have a little first hand experience in dealing with Oregon.

10. DuneHopper

DuneHopper
    Time Is Now
    Last Time For Everything Bronze Supporter

In Roseburg there is a gun shop been here quite awhile and is located in a persons home, they sell from there to the public.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 12:45 PM
  11. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Lifetime Supporter Gold Supporter

spookshack and sealine like this.
  12. RicInOR

RicInOR
    Washington County
    I aim to misbehave Silver Supporter

Don't forget CC&R and or Home Owners Associations.

A neighbor got "shut down" they had some kind of e-Bay business. All the UPS trucks attracted attention.

CRohde and DuneHopper like this.
  13. jordanka16

jordanka16
    Albany, OR
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

As long as it's not prohibited where you live, the ATF doesn't care, I deal with several home based FFLs all the time.

Some of the big gun distributors won't give you dealer pricing without a storefront however.

Argonaut and CRohde like this.
  14. jbett98

jbett98
    NW Oregon
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you're located right next door to a school might be a problem.

CRohde likes this.
  15. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon
    Lucky Sporting Goods in Banks, OR Silver Vendor

100% Correct! I made sure to have a letter from my HOA blessing my home based business/FFL and I am in a school zone, so special hoops. to jump thorugh. Can I buy from Sports South? Nope, but I find a way to get what people ask for. I see it is getting harder to start a FFL as home-based, many of the places I buy from now would not have me as a new customer.

Jeremy

16. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon

I actually was looking at a former credit union property that is a cut out from the local elementary school, but someone else got their financing together first and it will be a convenience store one day. It is never a NO as long as you deal with concerns respectfully.

CRohde likes this.
  17. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon

There are zero legitimate local laws to prohibit gun stores, that is managed at the state level and they are very specific in their control. You will win in court if you choose to fight/spend the money. I moved out to Banks from Happy Valley, it would be a great location off Sunnyside Rd to have a storefront, parking in a neighborhood is typically the number 1 concern or your neighbors, so hopefully you have a long driveway!

CRohde likes this.
  18. LuckySG

LuckySG
    Banks, Oregon

I started July 2016, no zoning changes, just a city business license and HOA approval

CRohde likes this.
  19. KKG

KKG
    Western Washington

A Store Front is NOT required in the State of WA. But a State License to sell Pistols is.

CRohde likes this.
  20. The Heretic

The Heretic
    Oregon
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I think the big thing several times in the past was people getting FFLs while not actually being in the business of selling the guns; i.e., they would use the FFL to get good prices for themselves and their buddies, and/or just be someone convenient to order guns they wanted. Most of those people doing that did not have an actual place of business.

If you are actually in the business, then as far as the ATF is concerned, you are good. Conversely, if you are in the business of selling guns and do NOT have an FFL, then you may attract their attention and if you do, the sky will fall on your head.

MilitantBEEMER and LuckySG like this.