JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This is my first post after introducing myself. I am looking to store Mountain House prepared meals that I purchased at BiMart into 5 gallon buckets. Do I need to use oxygenator pouches or an additional mylar bag in the bucket before sealing the lid? My goal is for long term storage. Currently they are stored with canned goods in a plastic tote.

I would check the package on the Mountain House items. Most are freeze dried with a 10-20 year expiration dates. I don't care for totes to much as buckets have a tighter sealed lid. I wouldn't bother with oxygen absorbers and mylar, i would just put them in a 5 gallon bucket and put the lid on tight to keep any roudents out.

I would check the package on the Mountain House items. Most are freeze dried with a 10-20 year expiration dates. I don't care for totes to much as buckets have a tighter sealed lid. I wouldn't bother with oxygen absorbers and mylar, i would just put them in a 5 gallon bucket and put the lid on tight to keep any roudents out.
Thank you the help. That was the direction I was leaning towards, but just wanted to be sure and do it correctly.

^^ that one.

If it's already packaged for long term storage then there isn't much else you can do except try to keep it a constant cool temp and out of the light.

On a side note, if you take silicone caulking and make a small bead around the top of the bucket (very thin) and let it dry; when you go to put the lid on it will completely seal it. Don't put the lit on before it's 100% dry or you will glue your lid to the bucket - which will also seal it but make getting into it hard and won't be reusable.

Winco sells "Gamma Seal" lids and combined with a clean food grade buckets they are very handy for items that you want access to during the year.
I use them for oatmeal and rice products that I buy in bulk and periodically need to refill the smaller containers stored in the cupboard.

Winco sells "Gamma Seal" lids and combined with a clean food grade buckets they are very handy for items that you want access to during the year.
I use them for oatmeal and rice products that I buy in bulk and periodically need to refill the smaller containers stored in the cupboard.
Safeway bakery gives those bucket away. most supermarkets will give you the empty bucket for free;););)

Exactly. Mt. House are sealed quite well and should require no additional storage prep, other then to "Harden" them!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top