Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Storage Question

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by Timbertodd, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Timbertodd

Timbertodd Aloha Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2016 Volunteer

This is my first post after introducing myself. I am looking to store Mountain House prepared meals that I purchased at BiMart into 5 gallon buckets. Do I need to use oxygenator pouches or an additional mylar bag in the bucket before sealing the lid? My goal is for long term storage. Currently they are stored with canned goods in a plastic tote.

2. gundog10

gundog10 Member

I would check the package on the Mountain House items. Most are freeze dried with a 10-20 year expiration dates. I don't care for totes to much as buckets have a tighter sealed lid. I wouldn't bother with oxygen absorbers and mylar, i would just put them in a 5 gallon bucket and put the lid on tight to keep any roudents out.

loucfir, Ura-Ki and Joe13 like this.
  3. Timbertodd

Thank you the help. That was the direction I was leaning towards, but just wanted to be sure and do it correctly.

4. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

^^ that one.

If it's already packaged for long term storage then there isn't much else you can do except try to keep it a constant cool temp and out of the light.

On a side note, if you take silicone caulking and make a small bead around the top of the bucket (very thin) and let it dry; when you go to put the lid on it will completely seal it. Don't put the lit on before it's 100% dry or you will glue your lid to the bucket - which will also seal it but make getting into it hard and won't be reusable.

gundog10 likes this.
  5. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Winco sells "Gamma Seal" lids and combined with a clean food grade buckets they are very handy for items that you want access to during the year.
    I use them for oatmeal and rice products that I buy in bulk and periodically need to refill the smaller containers stored in the cupboard.

loucfir and Joe13 like this.
  6. Hayshaker

Hayshaker Irrigon Active Member

Safeway bakery gives those bucket away. most supermarkets will give you the empty bucket for free;););)

Joe13 likes this.
  7. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

WoW!

I did not know that and will be calling around today to see if any of my local stores will do that - free is my kind of price!:)

8. Timbertodd

I was not aware of that either. Thank you for the lead and to everyone's help.

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Sub Light Speed Well-Known Member

Exactly. Mt. House are sealed quite well and should require no additional storage prep, other then to "Harden" them!