JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to get a sense of how people store their firearms with regard to moisture. The air where I store mine isn't completely try year round and I'm concerned that they will start to rust. They are in their original foam lined cases, which I'm told is a moisture magnet.

I don't have a safe, so I can't use a dehumidifier of any sort. What method do you guys use?

And for those of you who aren't concerned with rust, but don't have a safe, how do you store your rifles and handguns? In their original cases, in a range bag or just in a corner?

Well, since you've said a safe is not an option for you at the moment, I'd recommend storing them cleaned in silicone impregnated gun socks. Something like this: <broken link removed>

For longer term storage I also use the silicone socks. For pistols, you can also put the socked gun into a blue-bag.

Break Free now makes a product known as "Collector", which is a product intended to be used on guns that sit around "in storage". Unlike other longer term storage products, it is not a PITA to apply and you don't have to remove it or clean the gun prior to using the gun.

Do not storage firearms in leather holsters or in typical padded cases. You are asking for it if you do.

And if you do use a safe... be sure to get a properly sized pack of hydrosorbent silica gel to sit in the bottom of it that way it absorbs any moisture in the air inside the safe itself. :s0155:

Mine are pretty much out in the open, AR hanging on wall, G21 sitting in a SERPA holster on the bed bridge (like a headboard), S&W in holster on pants, and 1911 in a Galco Miami Classic rig hanging on a coat hook by the front door.

If there's any 'method' to this then it's that it doesn't get too cold in here, I use Mil-Comm B25 oil on all of 'em, and it's pretty good at corrosion resistance too.

The Silicone as mentioned works great. I grew up on the Southern Oregon Coast in an old House that was built in the 30's. Needless to say it was not sealed very well, guns tended to rust even after cleaning and oiling. So I bought the Silicone impregnated socks and used them, they work great! Its a cheap method, just clean your guns, put a light coat of oil after cleaning and put in bag, you should be good to go.

A couple of places make volatile corrosion inhibitor (VCI) sacks. I have them for some of the collector handguns. Once cleaned up and in the sealed bag, they are good for years - some even use them for very long-term storage.

I use Bore-stores for long-arms that I will use frequently, and a VCI capsule in the safe, along with a safe heater. Belt and suspenders.

Bob

Raising this thread from the dead. I found this thread on google looking for ways to keep my sig 556 from rusting. I was thinking one of those inexpensive Bi mart safes, I had one before but ended up taking it back for something else....or maybe I got it at dicks, but I know the price was around 100 bucks, Would you guys reccomend a inexpensive safe & some dessicant packs or one of those silicone gun socks

I thought this would be a good thread to pull back up for others who are wondering the same thing

Get the best safe you can afford and put a Goldenrod or equivalent in it. BiMart is selling an off brand version of the Goldenrod pretty reasonably, at least in the Coos Bay/ North Bend area. I personally use both Goldenrods and the Remington mini dehumidifiers in my safes, maybe overkill but who cares as long as it works

I'm trying to get a sense of how people store their firearms with regard to moisture. The air where I store mine isn't completely try year round and I'm concerned that they will start to rust. They are in their original foam lined cases, which I'm told is a moisture magnet.

I don't have a safe, so I can't use a dehumidifier of any sort. What method do you guys use?

And for those of you who aren't concerned with rust, but don't have a safe, how do you store your rifles and handguns? In their original cases, in a range bag or just in a corner?

Foam is not good. I have seen new handguns in the factory foam lined cases, that start to rust.

Before I had safes, I used the linen closet at the end of the hallway. I changed out the original doorknob to one that locked with a key. I also used a big black desiccant holder and desiccant, the kind you can find in the Walmart sporting goods section.

My dad uses the goldenrod in his safe, but he encountered a rust issue on some of his firearms, while I have never have had that problem. Dad also uses Rem oil to wipe his firearms down with, while I use grease. He now has desiccant in his safe along with the goldenrod. Time will tell, if this works for him or not.

I still use the big desiccant holders in my safes, which is overkill, but I only need to dump the water out a couple times a year.
I also use a cotton cloth soaked with TW25b grease to wipe down the firearms in the safes, it works the best out of all of the products I have used over the years. I just put that cloth in a plastic zip lock bag and keep reusing it. It does not smell like the petroleum based lubricants, which is a big plus to me and I do not need to wipe them down prior to use.

X3-30CUft rechargeable desiccants and a crap ton of small desiccants from the warehouse I work at that come in various packages. Both on the floor of the safes, back of the corners of the safes recharge as necessary.

Raising this thread from the dead. I found this thread on google looking for ways to keep my sig 556 from rusting. I was thinking one of those inexpensive Bi mart safes, I had one before but ended up taking it back for something else....or maybe I got it at dicks, but I know the price was around 100 bucks, Would you guys reccomend a inexpensive safe & some dessicant packs or one of those silicone gun socks

I thought this would be a good thread to pull back up for others who are wondering the same thing
I avoid the gun socks like the plague. Had a shotgun in one and I guess if any moisture is tracked into it, its like a rust incubator... Horrible results, for me anyway.
For firearms not taken out daily or used frequently I pack them in oil/grease and put them in a plastic storage bag. I do the same with the steel magazines I don't keep loaded but I do so in plastic 50cal ammo boxes along with silica packets.

I keep my firearms in a safe. I first place them in one of the silicone socks and then I do put the silica packets in the safe as well. I drilled a small hole at the base of my safe in the back and ran an electrical line into the safe and I have a "Golden Rod" hanging in the safe. I would imagine they come under other names, but it is a dehumidifier. I have never had even the slightest problem.

Properly oiled, you shouldn't need to sweat rust much out here. Back east with 80-90% humidity routine, it's a different matter. as long as you're running a bore cleaner through once a year or so and keeping the gun well oiled, rust isn't going to be a problem on a madern gun. Antiques or a blued gun where the bluing is wearing off, make sure you oil them THOROUGHLY before putting away fro storage.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top