JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A great read from COP's magazine. Article is very informative as to how novice shooters function in a shooting.

I was taught to shoot until the target disappears, changes shape, or falls down.
Besides, is a tight two-shot group any better than those 2 shots a little farther apart in terms of how it affects the assailant?
The 5-shot group is gonna leave that Chief's Special empty.

Thanks @Lennie for the interesting read. It has some good information to consider and I'm going to check into the report he discusses as well. The author is someone who has been in combat and can related to both techniques and human nature.

I also think this is one of those situations where we need to be careful relating both military and law enforcement tactics, techniques, skills, training to citizen armed defender use. I agree that the training scar of always shooting controlled pairs should be avoided. Just like always shooting five fast rounds should be as well. Just this week we saw how 3 rounds out of a long gun by and LEO ended with tragic results (not placing any blame on this officer, simply that every round counts (as being discussed in another thread here)). The pitfall of teaching five shots with fast splits is that the likelihood of some of the rounds entering behind lateral midline (i.e., in the "back") increase significantly. We even saw this with KR with JoJo falling forward. A good example of this (as a positive example) was another LAPD shooting where an officer / competition shooter who could have been placing five accurate shots very rapidly chose three sets of controlled pairs in a situation with enormous danger to bystanders.

Articles like this provide great food for thought for reflection and evaluation with our training. The author is someone who kept our enemies up at night so the rest of us could sleep and these folks are always in my family's prayers. Good on him for sharing a valuable perspective with us.

Flexible thinking / adaptable mindset / using what you know or experienced and applying it to the situation at hand is a good thing.
Getting caught in the " I was trained this way / this is how I practiced " trap ain't such a good thing.

Now the above don't mean that one should not practice or practice a certain way / method or technique....
It does mean that life won't play by your rules...or even care that you learned how to deal with something a certain way.

Doing something the same way every time...may work in a particular set of circumstances...but life ain't like that.

Use what you know....apply it to the issue at hand....and continue to assess the situation until it is resolved.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews