JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
The police dash cam footage was released today of the late August incident on I-84. I just saw this on the news and didn't realize at the time what it was. I just thought "Wow, there's no way the cop didn't get shot", then thought "Holy hell, how did the bad guy escape without being shot?"
Well as we know, the bad guy indeed WAS shot. Fatally. Yet somehow he escaped the scene and was able to drive his car down the road a ways. I didn't see any account of what caliber it was but I assume .40. It just goes to show how inane all the arguments about stopping power of different pistol rounds are. I think this should be a big reality check on what happens in real world shootouts vs. All the long-range, one-shot, instant kills that happen with handguns on our TV screens.

Dashcam vid: Suspect opens fire on trooper in deadly shootout - KPTV - FOX 12

By the way, I'd like to keep the conversation on what we can learn about this from a self-defense perspective if possible. Its obvious this man was mentally ill and extremely tragic that his kids were in the car. The events look pretty cut-and-dried. I just don't want this to devolve into the type of crap that takes place in the comments section in the article I linked to. Not that I think this audience is that low-functioning as anonymous internet commenters.

Yeah, one-shot kills like you see on tv and movies and video games are not realistic. A lot of home defense ones I've heard go like this: bad guy breaks into house, homeowner shoots the bad guy, bad guy runs off and is found dead a couple blocks away. Unless you get a direct hit to the brain or heart, they'll keep going until the bleed out internally. Crazy watching that video and knowing the guy running back to his car is dead, and just doesn't know it yet.

I'd be interested to know how many times the cop fired and if he remembered which round was the kill shot..... maybe first shot and recoil & flyers? Or last shot? I agree, the cop had good cause to shoot earlier on this one.

Brutus Out

Yeah, I didn't read how many rounds actually struck him besides the fatal one. Obviously several were fired.

It also says the cop was hit in the chest but not seriously injured. I would assume that's because he was wearing armor but the article didn't explain that. There seems to be a lot the article didn't explain actually. Most cops carry .40, right?

Yeah, I didn't read how many rounds actually struck him besides the fatal one. Obviously several were fired.

It also says the cop was hit in the chest but not seriously injured. I would assume that's because he was wearing armor but the article didn't explain that. There seems to be a lot the article didn't explain actually. Most cops carry .40, right?

OSP swapped from Glock 22's to M&P 40 cals a few years ago. Trooper was hit in the lower abdomen and suspect in the chest.

By the way, I'd like to keep the conversation on what we can learn about this from a self-defense perspective if possible.
practice firing under stress cause if you don't hit a CNS the criminal isn't going down immediately and can still fight or flee. It doesn't matter what caliber you use if you hit your mark.

Unless you get a direct hit to the brain or heart
False statement. Even with hits like this a man can function. The heart would have to substain extreme damage for a direct hit to drop a man instantly. (think a kill shot on a deer)
The only quarenteed kill shot is the brain stem. figure maybe a 1/2 inch sq target.

As to the event to me it appears as a suicide by cop. There are a lot of questions the video does not answer.
But i really feel for the kids.

I find that stopping power is unquestionable. If you have a 40 180gr HP at the rage this engagement was I can hardly see how that guy moved after getting hit.SW

The hit was good enough to make him bleed out within moments and yet when hit with the "unquestionable" power of the .40 the guy seemed completely unaffected...

Uhm.. thats cause handgun bullets regardless of caliber poke itty bitty holes in the body and there are many places in the body that isn't such a big deal and only a few places that could have instant effect.

Mostly a "drop" is the psycho / physiological phenomena known as the vasovagal response i.e. they faint.

So if you're saying that if you knew what caliber you were being shot with, you'd be more likely to faint if it was a dreaded .40 then ok...

C'mon you haters and deniers... If the trooper had been flinging .45ACP+P CorBon 230gr JHP traveling @ 1100+FPS, all that would have been needed was a push broom, a couple plastic garbage bags, and a hose to spray away the poop and innards sucked out of the bad guy's back from the exit wound!

;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads