JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was shocked to see them selling this as retail.

20221205_113625.jpg 20221205_113623.jpg

If the original price tags are on them then that Win 540 would be added to my collection! Just finished at tin from the same vintage for 38 Super and HS6 (the replacement) is currently spendy. I love new, old stock but caveat emptor with old powders. There was a reloading shop that opened up in SoCal about 6-7 years ago that was mostly old stock when they opened. I was very cool because I'm a geek for 70ish stuff like this. Picked up some cools stuff on my driving trips for work down there.

That's some pretty old powder, they haven't packaged with those metal cans for at least 20 years. The 630 and 680 haven't been made for at least that long. It's very surprising to see a big store like that dealing with it.

The 630 and 680, those I'm familiar with from the past. But people today are going to have to search for data to use them. 630 was one of the powders that had recommended data for .32-20 revolver when not many others could be found. I'd forgotten this, 630 and 630-P turned out to be sensitive in some of the same ways that 296 is. For instance, sensitive to charge reduction. There were many blow-ups reported where 630 was used.

680 didn't have all that many applications. As I recall, .30 Carbine was one. .22 Hornet was another. Somebody gave me a can of it, I tried for a long time to find data for .223 Rem. but it was just too fast. I wasn't brave enough to experiment with it in that way.

I wasn't familiar with 540 and 571 so I looked those up. They are obsolete shotgun powders and likewise data is going to be some work to find.

My library of reloading books includes many obsolete pamphlets from the powder companies, including Winchester. If I was looking, these are what I'd start with; they might be online somewhere. Or extracts for specific powders. Older reloading books from the bullet manufacturers may have data, but you're gonna be looking in 1970's editions, I'd think.

This is why some people keep obsolete pubs. Because they never know when some old powder will come along. My oldest reloading book is dated 1937. I used it a few years ago for data on HiVel#2.

I have reloading books from 1967-68 that were dads when I get into the toy closet tomorrow I can look and see if these are listed. NO way would I buy powder this old without knowing its history and how it was stored.

I still have 8#'s of 571. Was/is my go to powder for 20ga heavy field loads. I understand 571/hs7 is a wonderful heavy bullet powder for 10mm auto. It is on my list to try it out.

OK Speer book #11 has some data for

630 loading .30 carbine pistol

680 loading .22 Hornet .30 carbine 30-30 winchester

and a few others

My old Hornady book is almost all IMR powders.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top