JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just returned from 10 days at Lake Billy Chinook and was sickened by the number of people who think Snagging is just OK. I saw many boats out there with two and three genrations of people on the ( Pontoons with Grandpa and the whole family) that cast out a lure and yard it back six to eight feet at a time and say there are jigging! Thats not jigging its snagging..If your bringing in more fish backwards or hooking them in the top of the back YOUR DOING IT WRONG...I caught my limit every day and only foul hooked one fish all week..
I used a Orange on silver hammered spoon that I tipped the trebble hook with Green Giant shoepeg white corn. When I open the Corn I drain it and then open a can of tuna packed in Oil and mix the two together. keep the mixture on ice and place a couple curnels on each hook. when cast out let it settle for about a count of three then slow retrieve...stopping the retrieve every few feet and letting the spoon flutter down. thats when they will hit..good luck :s0155:

were they keeping there foul hooked fish? if so i would have went to one of the rangers or leo's that occupy the park and let them know who they should keep an eye on, there is always plenty of them there. i was fishing warrendale saturday and watched a guy catch 2 daily limits of chinook, bring them to his car and come back for more. i was really hoping for a fish checker to come through so i could let them know what was going on but no luck with that.
i left and headed to hood river for some sturgeon, managed to foul hook one of them (happens every time for some reason) he was not a keeper but even if he was he would have been set free.

You shouldn't confront people. Let the guys with badges & guns & a SALARY do that :) You should, however make a note of the following: description of people, clothing, vehicle, activity; time of day; vehicle make, model, ID (lisence plate or boat ID #); witnesses & contact info. You should then turn it in to OSP: by either calling 1-800-452-7888 or online/fax at <broken link removed> . You can submit info anonymously if you want, and you can get a reward from $100-$500, depending on the violation. More importantly, you will preserve YOUR ability to continue enjoying what you love. I have personally lost access to several fishing spots that were great to take kids/newbies, that have been permanantly closed due to snagging/poaching. I will never let the theft of natural resources and snagging/poaching go unreported again. I urge you all to take this approach as well. Not to be a narc, but these people really need to have respect for others and know that their actions can adversely affect many innocent people. Remember...its never too late to turn info in. OSP compiles info on problem offenders, so every bit of info helps a case.

Snagging, foul hooking, gigging or flossing, it's all illegal and is poaching period. The mindset that teaches the next generation that this is the way it's done is of the lowest character, with morals, self respect and ethics lacking in most other principles in their lifestyles.

Look son, I've got another one, your just not pulling hard enough! Or Boy, reach in the back seat and grab me another beer, or throw that @#$! thing out the window. Yes, it's a learned way of life, and far to many are failing the test as role models.

Yes they kept them ....I confronted several people who had been snagging and keeping fish..was shouted down by the other mouth breathers that fish the same way. When I called the troopers at the tip line four days in a row I still saw no enforcement ..I called one of the local OSP troopers I know and he Said not to confront the people.....these Kind of A-hole just dont realize that over 80 % of the fished stressed like that will die even if released...this sort of behavior can destoy a run..

Idiots with no moral compass. It's O.K. if I can get away with it, if I get caught I can always say "I'm sorry" and get away with it. Inbred bunch of hillbilly, mouth breathing, lying, cheating, stealing, dog fornicating, hominids I wouldn't piss on to keep from freezing.

I'm not even worked up yet

Can destroy a fishery! I have seen snaggers jigging for brood trout in a breading stream. It was the whole family, huge ice chest and harvesting 2# - 3# Rainbow breeders. Those People, are really stupid!!

I can't comment on the circumstance of which this may or may not have happened, I don't know. Times are tough for people right now and if this is what it takes to feed their family I can't respond negatively to this post. On the other hand if this is a couple drunk guys doing it for kicks and giggles thats a different story.

Don't care if someone is feeding their family,. the resource is intended to be protected, not raped. Let one person rationalize that it is OK, and tomorrow there will be twelve doing it, then thirty. before long there won't be a crawfish left, much less game fish!

If you don't care about people you are IMHO outta touch with reality.
Don't care if it someone feeding their family,. the resource is intended to be protected, not raped. Let one person rationalize that it is OK, and tomorrow there will be twelve doing it, then thirty. before long there won't be a crawfish left, much less game fish!

Not sure where the raping is at. This post doesn't mention how many one person may have or may not of snagged a fish. It is pure speculation that snagging was even happening. What I am saying is if you have a tag to catch a certain amount of fish and putting food on the table is a priority how you may catch a fish or may not you still caught one. I didn't condone catching more than the legal amount you are allowed....
I just returned from 10 days at Lake Billy Chinook and was sickened by the number of people who think Snagging is just OK. I saw many boats out there with two and three genrations of people on the ( Pontoons with Grandpa and the whole family) that cast out a lure and yard it back six to eight feet at a time and say there are jigging! Thats not jigging its snagging..If your bringing in more fish backwards or hooking them in the top of the back YOUR DOING IT WRONG...I caught my limit every day and only foul hooked one fish all week..
I used a Orange on silver hammered spoon that I tipped the trebble hook with Green Giant shoepeg white corn. When I open the Corn I drain it and then open a can of tuna packed in Oil and mix the two together. keep the mixture on ice and place a couple curnels on each hook. when cast out let it settle for about a count of three then slow retrieve...stopping the retrieve every few feet and letting the spoon flutter down. thats when they will hit..good luck :s0155:

So, by your logic it is OK to steal if it is to feed your family. It is OK to poach fish, deer, elk if it is to feed your family. Do you believe that someone paid $33 for themselves and $9 for each of their kids to go out and intentionally foul hook fish? My bet is that they weren't licensed (hard times you know)....

Last Edited:

If anybody thinks that fishing (non shellfish) & hunting (big game) is a viable way to "provide" food for a family, then they are the ones who are out of touch with reality. I remember a study in 2002 quantified the 'value' of what a sport-caught salmon in Oregon was and it came out to be just under $100/fish. Divide that by the average weight ($100/19.8lbs) you get roughly $5/lb for the fish. I believe that is what Rancher's Reserve steak is currently going for at Safeway. You can't tell me that is an economical way to put food on the table? NOW, if you extrapolate that number from the year 2002 (to 2012 to account for inflation and high fuel prices) I'm sure that $5/lb skyrockets! Does this mean that fishing is limited as a 'rich man's activity': Absolutely not...but the argument that illegal fishing is justified in order to provide a meal is null as well.

You need to realize that bag limits and quotas are NOT arbitrary numbers that are just pulled out of thin air. Fisheries managers have data on what types of techniques are more efficient and what the success rates for each are. They then look at the predicted population and decide the necessary escapement and survivability needed to maintain the species. A quota is then set to stay within MSY boundaries via direct displacement & bycatch. The next step is to obtain an effort estimate to predict on average how many people will be fishing/day. Restrictions are then placed to keep the catch per angler-day ratio consistent with the length of season in order to stay within the MSY model.

These restrictions are purposefully meant to inhibit success in order to maintain both the viable population of the species and provide fishing opportunity for humans. If you break these restrictions and use techniques with a high efficiency (like gillnetting, snagging, pitchforking, night fishing), the catch per angler-day ratio is skewed and the overall population can suffer...potentially to the point of collapse. Here's the shocker: Fisheries managers write restrictions to keep us below the magical 1.00 number. That means that statistically, we can't 'tag-out' every day. Just because you're allowed "X" ammount of fish per day as your bag limit, does not mean that the fish population can support everybody tagging out every day. Restrictions are in place to prevent that from happening, and if people don't abide by those regulations, the population (and future fishing opportunity) can suffer.

I'm not saying that snagging & gillnetting are immoral ways to fish. What I'm stating is that they are techniques with a higher efficiency. What IS immoral is knowingly using these restricted techniques at the expense of a population and at the expense of law-abiding fisherman...because if things get out of hand, fisheries will get shut down/restricted and EVERYBODY loses...even the people who followed the law.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top