JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In telecom, so I set up a great fake # for myself - Nine7 One 4one2 42OHthree Trust me, you'll laugh.
I've tried upside-down, backwards, "l33t-sp3ak", and 1-to-1 alpha-numeric correspondence, and still haven't figgurd it out yet, but I'm still workin' it... o_O

8 - 6 - 7 - 5 - 3 - 0 - 9
Seems she might work for the US Postal Service... o_O

8675309_Jenny.jpg

I'm pretty embarrassed to announce that I was just scammed, but perhaps my shame will save another from becoming a victim.

User went by "RogerA" on this forum, and used the email address [email protected]. He responded to my WTB post for a LTT Beretta 1301. Seemed absolutely legit, knew the process of transacting, etc. Took $1700 from me via Venmo and then went ghost. Stopped responding to my emails and deleted his Venmo account. Fraud prevention is tracking him down, but I don't expect much. Beware!

Jenny is not pleased that you keep giving that out... :s0002:

She's not the only one...

The song, released in late 1981, initially gained popularity on the American West Coast in January 1982; many who had the number soon abandoned it because of unwanted calls.

When we'd first get calls at 2 or 3 in the morning, my husband would answer the phone. He can't hear too well. They'd ask for Jenny, and he'd say "Jimmy doesn't live here any more." ... Tommy Tutone was the one who had the record. I'd like to get hold of his neck and choke him.
— Lorene Burns, an Alabama householder formerly at +1-205-867-5309; she changed her number in 1982.[14]
Asking telephone companies to trace the calls was of no use, as Charles and Maurine Shambarger (then in West Akron, Ohio at +1-216-867-5309) learned when Ohio Bell explained: "We don't know what to make of this. The calls are coming from all over the place." A little over a month later, they disconnected the number and the phone became silent.[15]

In some cases, the number was picked up by commercial businesses or acquired for use in radio promotions.

• In 1982, WLS radio obtained the number from a Chicago woman, receiving 22,000 calls in four days.[9]
  • In 1982, Southwest Junior High School received up to two hundred calls daily asking for Jenny in area code 704.[9]
  • Brown University obtained the +1-401-867 prefix in 1999, assigning 867-5309 to a student dormitory room which was promptly inundated with nuisance calls.[16]
  • A February 2004 auction for the number in a New York City code was shut down by eBay after objections from Verizon; bidding had reached $80,000.[17] The US Federal Communications Commission takes the position that most phone numbers are "public resources" that "are not owned by carriers or their customers" but did not rule out the number being sold as part of a business.[18]
  • A subsequent February 2004 auction for the number in area code 800 and 888 listed Jeffrey Steinberg's Philadelphia business JSS Marketing for sale, including both numbers as part of the bundle. This circumvents eBay restrictions which prevent selling the numbers on their own.[19]
  • In 2004, Weehawken, New Jersey resident Spencer Potter picked up the number for free after discovering to his surprise that it was available in the 201 area code, hoping it would improve his DJ business.[20][21] Unable to handle the overwhelming volume of calls, he sought to sell the number on eBay in February 2009.[22][23] Although bids reached $1 million, his inability to confirm the identity of the bidders led him to sell it privately to Retro Fitness, a gym franchise with a location in Secaucus, New Jersey that felt the 1980s origin of the number tied in with their business' retro theme.[8]
  • In 2006, Benjamin Franklin Franchising, a large national plumbing franchise, began using a toll-free version of the number (+1-866-867-5309), which it advertises as "867-5309/Benny".[24] In 2007, Gem Plumbing & Heating brought suit against Clockwork Home Services, the parent company of Benjamin Franklin Franchising, alleging a violation of its trademark.[25] Clockwork contended that Gem's trademark was invalid. Effective in May 2007, Clockwork was ordered by a court to stop using the number in New England.[26] According to Tommy Heath, lead singer of Tommy Tutone: "It's ridiculous. If I wanted to get into it, I could probably take the number away from both of them."[27]
  • In 2009, nutrition firm Natrient LLC leased 1-800-867-5309 from 5309 Partners Ltd for $25 million as part of a radio ad campaign.[28]
  • In July 2009, Jason Kaplan had the number assigned to a Vonage phone line in the name of a small business in area code 267[29] and then listed the entire business for sale on eBay.[30] The auction closed at $5,500.[22][31]
  • In January 2013, Five309 LLC announced plans to use 855-867-5309 and 888-867-5309 to promote the website JennySearch.com.[32]
  • In 2013, the number was still ringing up fifty prank calls daily for Florida realtor Carrie Routt in area code 850.[33]
  • A Fort Collins, Colorado restaurant, Totally 80's Pizza, uses this number as part of its 1980s theme, in area code 970.[34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny#Popularity_and_litigation

She's not the only one...

The song, released in late 1981, initially gained popularity on the American West Coast in January 1982; many who had the number soon abandoned it because of unwanted calls.

Asking telephone companies to trace the calls was of no use, as Charles and Maurine Shambarger (then in West Akron, Ohio at +1-216-867-5309) learned when Ohio Bell explained: "We don't know what to make of this. The calls are coming from all over the place." A little over a month later, they disconnected the number and the phone became silent.[15]

In some cases, the number was picked up by commercial businesses or acquired for use in radio promotions.

• In 1982, WLS radio obtained the number from a Chicago woman, receiving 22,000 calls in four days.[9]
  • In 1982, Southwest Junior High School received up to two hundred calls daily asking for Jenny in area code 704.[9]
  • Brown University obtained the +1-401-867 prefix in 1999, assigning 867-5309 to a student dormitory room which was promptly inundated with nuisance calls.[16]
  • A February 2004 auction for the number in a New York City code was shut down by eBay after objections from Verizon; bidding had reached $80,000.[17] The US Federal Communications Commission takes the position that most phone numbers are "public resources" that "are not owned by carriers or their customers" but did not rule out the number being sold as part of a business.[18]
  • A subsequent February 2004 auction for the number in area code 800 and 888 listed Jeffrey Steinberg's Philadelphia business JSS Marketing for sale, including both numbers as part of the bundle. This circumvents eBay restrictions which prevent selling the numbers on their own.[19]
  • In 2004, Weehawken, New Jersey resident Spencer Potter picked up the number for free after discovering to his surprise that it was available in the 201 area code, hoping it would improve his DJ business.[20][21] Unable to handle the overwhelming volume of calls, he sought to sell the number on eBay in February 2009.[22][23] Although bids reached $1 million, his inability to confirm the identity of the bidders led him to sell it privately to Retro Fitness, a gym franchise with a location in Secaucus, New Jersey that felt the 1980s origin of the number tied in with their business' retro theme.[8]
  • In 2006, Benjamin Franklin Franchising, a large national plumbing franchise, began using a toll-free version of the number (+1-866-867-5309), which it advertises as "867-5309/Benny".[24] In 2007, Gem Plumbing & Heating brought suit against Clockwork Home Services, the parent company of Benjamin Franklin Franchising, alleging a violation of its trademark.[25] Clockwork contended that Gem's trademark was invalid. Effective in May 2007, Clockwork was ordered by a court to stop using the number in New England.[26] According to Tommy Heath, lead singer of Tommy Tutone: "It's ridiculous. If I wanted to get into it, I could probably take the number away from both of them."[27]
  • In 2009, nutrition firm Natrient LLC leased 1-800-867-5309 from 5309 Partners Ltd for $25 million as part of a radio ad campaign.[28]
  • In July 2009, Jason Kaplan had the number assigned to a Vonage phone line in the name of a small business in area code 267[29] and then listed the entire business for sale on eBay.[30] The auction closed at $5,500.[22][31]
  • In January 2013, Five309 LLC announced plans to use 855-867-5309 and 888-867-5309 to promote the website JennySearch.com.[32]
  • In 2013, the number was still ringing up fifty prank calls daily for Florida realtor Carrie Routt in area code 850.[33]
  • A Fort Collins, Colorado restaurant, Totally 80's Pizza, uses this number as part of its 1980s theme, in area code 970.[34]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/867-5309/Jenny#Popularity_and_litigation

Do all firearms deals this way and you'll not have any trouble in my experience.
This is why I never ship, much easier and less drama to do face to face deals.
That is easy, here in the high population area. I often wonder about when I get to get out of here. Before I'm dead hopefully. Shipping my be come necessary.

I'm pretty embarrassed to announce that I was just scammed, but perhaps my shame will save another from becoming a victim.
Thank you for sharing this, don't be embarrassed, everyone has been ripped off, backstabbed, etc. from pro scammers, to business contacts, car sellers, to friends & family.

Some dirtbags once owed me a lot of $$. It was literally making me sick ... went to doc, she said, "this happens to everybody, I was owed a lot more than that." By the way you don't have bleeding ulcer that's 500 bucks. :s0112:

P.S. One day I may tell the tale of an attempted online entrapment of ME by what was almost certainly a federal agency, probly ATF ... nope it did not work.

User went by "RogerA" on this forum, and used the email address [email protected]. He responded to my WTB post for a LTT Beretta 1301. Seemed absolutely legit, knew the process of transacting, etc. Took $1700 from me via Venmo and then went ghost. Stopped responding to my emails and deleted his Venmo account. Fraud prevention is tracking him down, but I don't expect much. Beware!
I sure hope there's an especially hot and sulphury section in Hell for people like this... :mad:

Would it make you feel better if you thought about how many thousand of people are scammed every day by the "Need Help" people holding signs on street corners? I think they might be dumber than you. They still keep believing that their helping people instead of just giving them money they use to buy drugs and booze, and keep them on the streets. At least you learned a lesson.

Last Edited:
P.S. One day I may tell the tale of an attempted online entrapment of ME by what was almost certainly a federal agency, probly ATF ... nope it did not work.
I too had one of those recently on this site contact me about a firearm I was selling, a new member joining just minutes before contacting me, zero feedback of course, asking me to sell to him without going through the FFL. His story was that he just moved to Oregon and still had a California DL, and offered more than I was asking to sell to him that night. Obviously a rat, so reported him to the site mods and put him on my ignore list. There are weasels everywhere.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top