JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Despite numerous threads on the subject and the above average intelligence of our wonderful members, I'm still seeing far too many reports of people falling for scams in our classified section. You need to be cautious each and every time, regardless of who you're dealing with, period. Most of the victims I talk with have one thing in common: they didn't think it'd happen to them. Truth is, it can and will happen to you if you conduct transactions through the mail without taking proper precautions as mentioned in the How do I avoid getting scammed? help entry. I recommend those not willing to put in the time and effort to protect themselves stick with face to face transactions.

Even if you've done multiple transactions with someone in the past, how do you know it's really them this time? Though we've repeatedly encouraged all members to use strong, unique passwords and enable 2FA, account compromises do still happen, especially with old accounts which haven't logged in for a long time. Those of you with tons of positive feedback and the same weak password you use on every account? You're a prime target! Their goal is to gain access to your account and then use it to scam others. You're hearing about this here, but please don't make the mistake of assuming this is a problem unique to Northwest Firearms. In fact, it's far better here than other sites. I only say this to remind you to take what you're learning here and put it in practice whenever you conduct business online.

If you suspect someone of being a scammer, don't assume we already know about them. Please report them ASAP so we can investigate and remove them if need be. You wouldn't believe how many things don't get reported.

I apologize if the tone here seems a bit harsh, but it ruins my day every single time I hear about it. Most of you will be reading this thread due to the notice or the alert I'll be sending to all of our members after I post this. It's unfortunate that it has come to this, but people just don't seem to be taking it seriously. Myself and our staff have been doing all we can to detect and remove potential scammers, increase security, and spread the word about this stuff. Unfortunately, all the technology in the world can't replace a bit of good old fashioned common sense.

It was totally on me. Normally I go the USPS MO route, but the seller seemed genuine, had the right answers and pictures, so I went with Zelle. First time in dozens of transactions over 20 years, PAX

I use an encrypted password database called KeePass and let it generate my passwords for me. I don't even try to remember them, I simply copy and paste it. I keep a local copy of the database on my laptop and another on my NAS.

KeePass is free and runs on Windows, iOS, Linux and Android. There are versions for smartphones as well that read the same encrypted database file. It is good enough that is is used by the Federal Government including some DoD affiliates.

Official site: https://sourceforge.net/projects/keepass/

Example (not real)
1642113393141.png

Scammer alert...... ssubwave. Be aware of this person. Oh now I see his account is gone. :mad:
He said his name is Robert Haws. I used Zelle. BAD IDEA!!! I'm not happy.

08ADD9BF-B8B9-4E2D-B17A-76A151955470.png

Last Edited:
If I get a bad feel for someone I just don't bother . Someone on here recently gave me that vibe asking questions about some chokes I had then kept wanting to negotiate me in the thread . I just blocked him and went on. Too many scammers these days on the internet.

I am proud to say that for as long as I have been a member and doing transactions here. EVERYBODY I have dealt with was on the up and up and very honest, polite and friendly. Some of the people I have dealt with are repeat buyers and sellers and I have developed a relationship with. Sorry to hear this has happened to us here on NWFA.

If it's an online store. Use google earth to look up the address then go to ground view. I have done this many times and found an alleged online firearm & supply website was nothing more than the address of a run-down house in the middle of nowhere with no signage.

I have been looking for reloading powder, primers, even a 357sig and ran into this problem. The websites looked legit!

Thanks Joe Link for starting a thread to exchange these insights.

I am proud to say that for as long as I have been a member and doing transactions here. EVERYBODY I have dealt with was on the up and up and very honest, polite and friendly. Some of the people I have dealt with are repeat buyers and sellers and I have developed a relationship with. Sorry to hear this has happened to us here on NWFA.
Same here, I only deal face to face, cash. I too have met with guys multiple times, "damn man, I bought that rifle/pistol from you 3 years ago! ", have a laugh and generally talk for a bit and do our deal in comfort. For some of us this is not only a marketplace and a place to go for information, but more for social interaction too.. I still lament the loss of chat, good folks on there. Got to know folks, someone you have interacted with on there would be unlikely to scam you.

on the other hand, retail scams that take advantage of scarcity are harder to deal with. I only deal with well known retailers online. Midway, Brownell's, mgw, gunpartscorp, etc.

In fact why not start a list of "well known" online retailers? One where the members contribute names for the list, not the retailers themselves.

Last Edited:
Trust no one. Sellers that want a payment up front, etc. Ugh. I mean scamming is at an all time high.

A little off topic from sellers, but I have a 72 year old friend that has sent thousands to catfishers. He is convinced that these 20-30 year old women really want to be with him, move in, marry him. He is the definition of a simp. FB bots galore. I've sat him down a few times and have even shown him videos about catfishing, what it is - usually Nigerian/other distant GUYS masquerading as available women.

Sadly on Christmas one of the scammers convinced him that 'she' needed $2k to fly in and spend Xmas with him and of course once the funds were sent he sat alone on Xmas.

The thing I can't figure out is what is the drive? Sex? No, I believe it is just fear of being alone. He took the scam/catfishing over real invites.

Some people will also be ready to trust any email or scam. Even when they've had friends trying to help. He'll probably exhaust his life savings doing this crap in 2022 and there is nothing that can be done about it.

I have never been a fan of social media, it is a cesspool of narcissists. Other than that, never trust any emails, always check the source email address. Programs like MailwasherPro are very helpful. Truly, the elderly that are computer illiterate should not have email accounts if at all possible.

Getting way off topic Burt, but...

I got hit on at the post office by an early 50's gal ( petite wearing "look at my butt" yoga pants, and of course standing behind her I couldn't help it) didn't know what to do, turned into a stuttering idiot. At 66yo I am way off my game. If your buddy wants females, try support groups. They are all over, all different kinds. I never got that lucky in bars trying to pick up chicks. When I got sober, well, lets just say there's nothing hornier than a milf 30 days without a drink.
i get all kinds of emails from catfishers, delete them without looking. All kinds of FB friend requests that I ignore.

Last Edited:
So #1 way to make safe secure online payments and shipments is to use PayPal and send the money as a business transaction. They have buyers protection so if the seller sends you a box of rocks, or even better dosnt send anything at all. You can ask for a full refund and PayPal will refund you your money after a few days/ weeks. I think Venmo, zelle, cash app, and apple pay all have buyers protection but I have not delt with any of them.

If you send money as "friends or family" you ARE SCREWED!

And for you old timers that don't have pay pal, Venmo, ext and don't know what ones to trust. Personally I like PayPal for shipping/ receiving thing and Venmo for face to face.

Yep I got scammed about a year ago on another site. $300. I used Zelle. The guy would respond, he kept saying he would ship the next day. Then stopped responding. I contacted my bank and Zelle, they said don't send money to people that I don't know! HAHAHA thanks! :(

Last Edited:
You mean all of those Asian and Eastern Block Honies aren't really hot for my for my body? :s0092:
I guess that also means my recently deceased uncle and aunt from South Africa, with the diamond mine didn't really have me in their wills. :(
Personally though, I never did believe that lawyer from Nigeria. :cool:

It was totally on me. Normally I go the USPS MO route, but the seller seemed genuine, had the right answers and pictures, so I went with Zelle. First time in dozens of transactions over 20 years, PAX

HurcIIr.jpg

That sucks, man. Hopefully the hit wasn't too big. Live vicariously through this guy catching a scammer and saving the day for a poor ol' lady:

If your buddy wants females, try support groups. They are all over, all different kinds.
Yea buddy.

1642133328704.jpeg
If it's an online store. Use google earth to look up the address then go to ground view. I have done this many times and found an alleged online firearm & supply website was nothing more than the address of a run-down house in the middle of nowhere with no signage.

I have been looking for reloading powder, primers, even a 357sig and ran into this problem. The websites looked legit!

Thanks Joe Link for starting a thread to exchange these insights.
This x1000. I've caught 1 on here who gave me everything legit, even the name of a local gun store where he said the gun was waiting to ship out to the buyer (me). I called the store and, of course, they had never heard of the guy nor the gun.

Note that I had a WTB out…scammers are attracted to those like flies on …….

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top