Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Stone Washing Question

Discussion in 'Knives & Other Discussion' started by RedneckRampage, May 14, 2012.

1. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

I have a Benchmade 553SBK, a tanto point, Griptillian with the black coating on the blade. I'm thinking about stone washing it, and am wondering if I need to beadblast or strip the black coating of first, or will the rocks take it off?

2. Mark W.

Mark W. Silverton, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

WHAT? I spent 14 years as a Custom Knifemaker and have no idea what on earth your talking about! now if you were talking about a 1980's marketing stick for blue jeans I'm with you.

3. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

It's when you put all the metal parts of a knife in a container with some smooth, rounded rocks and some WD40 and put the container in the dryer for an hour or two. The metal comes out kinda a satin speckled grey. Looks really cool. YouTube has tutorials, but they don't answer my question.

4. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Central Oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Try it out and if it does not take it off, then bead blast. Haha I am sure that is not the answer you were looking for.