JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've not been keeping up on gun trends and new stuff much this year - between dealing with a downturn in my business, and some family issues that popped up - I've paired down everything I had practically and not bought any new toys. Tonight I stopped in on a slow period at work to my local Sportsman's Warehouse to fondle stuff and stretch my legs (cue Stomper for the out of context thread!)

They had some neat new guns on the wall - I fondled a Sig P365 XL, and the SAS - I liked the XL and the X-Ray sights more than the weird Meprolight thing the SAS wears. Also - the SAS's damn near non-existent slide stop/slide release lever is worthless. I couldn't get the damn thing to engage, and you certainly can't drop the slide with it. You *have* to sling shot the thing. Stupid, because the levers on the SAS aren't sharp enough to snag anything anyway, but that's besides the point.

The highlight of my little window shopping session was the Stoeger STR-9. My first thought - it's a relabeled Grand Power - but checking the GP website, while they have similar guns, it isn't an exact match for anything they currently offer. The ergonomics on the Stoeger piece are fantastic. The trigger, while heavier than your typical Striker fair, was smooth, had a predictable wall, and a clean break. I'd say the pull came in around 7-8 lbs, and it had a very crisp, positive reset. 15 round mags, 4+" barrel, decent sights - if I were in the market for a new pistol it would certainly be a contender. The price tag was really reasonable too - $349 and I believe it comes with 3 mags, and has interchangeable back straps like all the other cool kids have. The trigger guard is big enough to use with gloved hands, but not stupidly large.

I'd really like to get one out and shoot one, because it just feels like a quality, well made gun and the ergos make me think that recoil impulse would be very minimal. Functionally, it appears to draw heavily from the Glock - same takedown, same slide stop lever style (tho this one is a bit larger and a tad easier to use than the stock Glock part) - the grip angle is more like that on an M&P, which I really dig since the M&P is my favorite plastic fantastic pistol. They even sculpted in a spot to rip a stuck magazine from on the sides of the grip.

Anyone have on of these things yet? Are my assumptions correct, or is it a steamer?

This was just written up in The Rifleman. It's a conventional Browning action (not a rotational barrel, like the Grand Power), it's decent ergonomics (not fantastic), it has more in common with the Beretta APX than any other hand gun(no surprise, Beretta owns Stoeger) and it's a rather decent price. Like the rest of the Turkish handguns. The Canik TP9SF has a much better trigger, shoots as well and can be purchased for the same or less. Expand your horizons and watch watch the sootch00 reviews of the Canik.

This was just written up in The Rifleman. It's a conventional Browning action (not a rotational barrel, like the Grand Power), it's decent ergonomics (not fantastic), it has more in common with the Beretta APX than any other hand gun(no surprise, Beretta owns Stoeger) and it's a rather decent price. Like the rest of the Turkish handguns. The Canik TP9SF has a much better trigger, shoots as well and can be purchased for the same or less. Expand your horizons and watch watch the sootch00 reviews of the Canik.

I stopped watching sootch's vids years ago - he never makes a video on guns he doesn't like. I find Tim with MAC, plus Paul Harrell a lot more honest and informative. I'm not the biggest fan of the Canik TP series, they're alright, but to me, the Stoeger felt better ergnomically, and more well made. The TP9's have a toyish feel. Maybe the texture or their polymer blend - its not a knock on the Canik, they have a reputation for reliability, but if I were buying a Turkish gun, I think I'd get the Stoeger first between the two - or snatch a Canik CZ clone - for CZ clones, they are THE best of the bunch.

If the Stoeger felt better ergonomically, then that's your pistol! I have a Cougar 8000 and zero complaints about the fit, finish and performance. My only add-on is, owning several Grand Powers, they have substantially longer lifespans than any Browning-style design. But you can't complain about the Stoeger price!

BTW, I have a Chiappa MC27E which is made by Girsan and a Sarsilmaz K2. Very impressive build quality and performance from both!

If the Stoeger felt better ergonomically, then that's your pistol! I have a Cougar 8000 and zero complaints about the fit, finish and performance. My only add-on is, owning several Grand Powers, they have substantially longer lifespans than any Browning-style design. But you can't complain about the Stoeger price!

BTW, I have a Chiappa MC27E which is made by Girsan and a Sarsilmaz K2. Very impressive build quality and performance from both!

Had to look up that Chiappa, interesting looking gun. I see CZ influence, but it also reminds me a little of classic Smith & Wesson metal autos with that high bore axis and overall aesthetic. The K2's are neat guns too, a nice blend of the Sig P220 and the CZ 97

The K2 is a licensed build of the CZ97. In fact, both Sarsilmaz and Girsan are CZ-style take down pistols. Let me ask you a question: what is your budget for this purchase? I ask because there have been some VERY good deals on Grand Power pistols as Global Ordnance has taken over distribution from Eagle Imports and GunPro Deals have participated. While more money than the Stoeger at $399, the 200K+ round lifespan of a Q100 is probably a better deal for you. Ditto a sale on Beretta PX4, although you might or might not like the PX4 ergonomics.

The K2 is a licensed build of the CZ97. In fact, both Sarsilmaz and Girsan are CZ-style take down pistols. Let me ask you a question: what is your budget for this purchase? I ask because there have been some VERY good deals on Grand Power pistols as Global Ordnance has taken over distribution from Eagle Imports and GunPro Deals have participated. While more money than the Stoeger at $399, the 200K+ round lifespan of a Q100 is probably a better deal for you. Ditto a sale on Beretta PX4, although you might or might not like the PX4 ergonomics.

I'm not in the market for a new gun at the moment, just found some guns I've never seen before :D If I could, I'd have one of everything - my next pistol purchase will realistically be a thinner, compact or sub compact, as currently I only have full size pistols. But if I had a slush fund, I think the Stoeger would be high on the list of a new fun-gun.

You should look at the new Taurus G3, which I fired last week at the range. Surprising performance and characteristics for a very affordable pistol. In compacts, the Taurus G2 is the overwhelming choice of many of my club members. Small, light, thin, compact, 12 rds of 9mm, second strike trigger.

You should look at the new Taurus G3, which I fired last week at the range. Surprising performance and characteristics for a very affordable pistol. In compacts, the Taurus G2 is the overwhelming choice of many of my club members. Small, light, thin, compact, 12 rds of 9mm, second strike trigger.

One of my employees has one of those - we're going shooting tomorrow. I'm not a big Taurus fan - they soured me with their early PT111's. I'll shoot 'em and enjoy them - but Taurus is a company I've no intention of ever spending money with again. Just like Armscor made guns - I had an Armscor made, Charles Daly branded 1911 that had the cheaply made cast guide rod shatter during shooting. For $50 more than a new Taurus G3, you can pick up a used M&P Shield - lower capacity, better quality and reputation. I'd take the shield over the G3. If my guy's G3 holds up after a couple thousand rounds, I may warm a bit to the newer Taurus stuff, but its really hard. Kind of like Springfield - they make decent guns, but their politics soured me on them.

I love the STR-9. It's an impressive gun for its price point. Fits in all Glock holsters and accepts the same accessories. It's a cross between the CZ P10-C and a Glock 19 in both size and how it feels when handled and fired. Steel tritium sights are dead on.

One irritation was that after I started firing it, I had to run it wet or it would consistently fail to eject. Had to keep it wet for the first 60 rounds, but then it broke in. Now I have no fear of issues as it runs flawlessly. I did the same thing to my second, if that gives you any sense of how much I believe in the STR-9.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top