JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would really hope that anyone buying serious meds online or a "Grange Co-op" or other animal/pet supply place google and print out the proper uses, human dosages and the warnings. Some of that stuff can be really dangerous to people who have other medical issues, and of course it's important to know which med to use for which ailment, in what dose, and for how long.

Where There is No Doctor covers the kg/mg/daily use for many types of medications- I recommend anyone seriously interested in medical applications to buy this book.

i would imagine a good broad spectrum antibiotic would be sufficient for almost all bacterial infections?

Not necessarily. As SPU pointed out above, misuse of anitbiotics has resulted in or at least contributed to strains of bacteria that are resistant to certain types of antibiotic. Cipro has a rep for being pretty good against a wide spread, but not necessarily everything or even close to it.

Some one mentioned having and/or using clotting bandages.....It is my understanding (learned in this sub-forum) that medical attention will be necessary after application of clotting bandages.... I recommend considering how long until medical care is available before applying clotting bandages.

Perhaps for ealier clotting bandages. I carry quickclot in my shop, and the directions indicate you can leave it on a wound for days if necessary:

http://bestglide.com/FAQ.pdf

To remove the quikclot, simply flush the wound quickly with a larger volume of water than the quikclot can absorb. Now- it's quite likely that if you needed quikclot to stop the bleeding, they may start bleeding again once it is removed. Just like a conventional bandage, if you don't have the ability to deal with the bleeding, leave the bandage on and add another bandage if it soaks through. Get the person to where the bleeding can be permanently dealt with using sutures or whatever by a professional.

OK, in a post SHTF scenario, I understand people using the big guns like cipro for wounds etc....but...

this is the old lab tech talking here, and just a warning that all antibiotics won't work on all bacteria. There is a reason we always do a sensitivity when we do a culture. Even within the same genus/specie of bug, different strains of the same bacteria will have differing levels of sensitivity to an antimicrobial....

Shotgun techniques with antibiotics, post SHTF, are wasteful, but about the only thing you can do if you fear sepsis...use what you got and hope that you are going to kill it, but the best advise is to be careful and proper wound care - wash the wound with betadine, wash your hands, clean dressings, wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands....

Old RN here and I have to agree that it is not a good idea to take antibiotics you have stockpiled UNLESS you have some medical knowledge about the risks of expecting an oral antibiotic to clear up a wound or even a sepsis.

I am just going to give you 1 example of why oral antibiotics could cause more problems than you might already have. A lot of antibiotics can put a person into renal failure if they are not hydrated properly or their blood volume is low, which could very well be the case in a SHTF event. Best thing for wounds...is anything you need to do to clean (debride) that wound and keep it clean. Soap, water, betadine or even a weak bleach solution (look up Dankins solution) can work to help clean open wound infections. Scrub that wound if need be.

Just be aware that it can be a life threatening risk to give someone an (each and every) antibiotic and if it is absolutely necessary because you can not get to medical help at all...then be sure the patient is able to hydrate and they are producing adequate urine otherwise you might just knock out what little natural immune defenses that patient still has.

Old RN here and I have to agree that it is not a good idea to take antibiotics you have stockpiled UNLESS you have some medical knowledge about the risks of expecting an oral antibiotic to clear up a wound or even a sepsis.

I am just going to give you 1 example of why oral antibiotics could cause more problems than you might already have. A lot of antibiotics can put a person into renal failure if they are not hydrated properly or their blood volume is low, which could very well be the case in a SHTF event. Best thing for wounds...is anything you need to do to clean (debride) that wound and keep it clean. Soap, water, betadine or even a weak bleach solution (look up Dankins solution) can work to help clean open wound infections. Scrub that wound if need be.

Just be aware that it can be a life threatening risk to give someone an (each and every) antibiotic and if it is absolutely necessary because you can not get to medical help at all...then be sure the patient is able to hydrate and they are producing adequate urine otherwise you might just knock out what little natural immune defenses that patient still has.

And it's THIS stuff I take with a grain of salt. More people died in the Civil War from Gangreen than gunfire and cannon fire combined. The main thing to note is allergic reactions to medications and not taking enough anti-biotics can be just as deadly as the above.

I stongly recommend everyone to read "Where There is No Doctor" before just going out and playing medic...but at the same time realize that medical professionals will advise against self diagnosis because of the risks.

We're refering to a SHTF scenario...where doctors and hospitals are a pipedream. If you do not take precautions for sepsis, gangreen and tet a n us then you will have more problems on your hands that just a simple cut.

The book recommends that the patient ingest benadryl 15 minutes prior to taking any antibiotics (especially injections) to counteract any allergic reactions.

Many of us have had occasion to take most of the common antibiotics, and know whether or not we're allergic. I recommend that parents keep a copy of their and their kids' medical records. Most people don't, but you have the right, and it is very valuable information, for more than doomsday scenarios. Suppose your doctor goes out of business- do you know where your records are being transferred to? When you move, do you make sure that your new doctor has them?

Most people don't even have a relationship wth their doctor identified until they need one. The number one indicator of recovery from a serious illness is patient involvement in their own care, but the doctor/patient relationship still rarely reflects this. People continue to let their doctors act like little tin gods, and doctors still consider their patients too dumb to understand what is going on. Make sure you understand any conditions you have been diagnosed with, and agree with the diagnosis. Research alternaticve treatments. Get second opinions. Your doctor may think you're a pain in the keister for this- so get a new doctor that appreciates that it is your life and health.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top