JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This subject has been somewhat discussed in the past and I posted at the time my thoughts and I feel they are still reasonable.

I feel you need 10 mags per rifle and 5 per pistol minimum with 1000 rounds per rifle and 500 per pistol to start with.

Standard load out at the time when I was in was 7 rifle mags 6 on you one in the firearm and I carried 3 pistol mags two on me one in the firearm the rest are spare in case one is lost or damaged.

More is always better in my opinion so get as much as you can afford but you need a goal to start with then go from there.

How do you get there some have talked about already and I agree with their process but it depends on your budget.

When I first started I budgeted 20 per paycheck and at that time it got me 2 boxes of ammo at 5.99 ea and one metal mag 7.99 for 20.14 with tax. This gave me 1 full 30 rd mag and 10 extra rounds per week. It adds up fast

Prices have gone up a bit but $30 in my area will get me the same type of package right now.

As to the original post I would go with mags first as they will get banned before ammo and they have date codes on them and if they are grand fathered in that date code may make a difference of you getting to keep them or becoming a felon. You can always cross state lines to get ammo if you need too.

I would stick with standard 30 rd for AR/AK and stock mags for whatever pistol you have. They are easier to hide and usually cheaper than extended unless you just got money to burn.

I will say my tactics have changed a bit over the years because in the past I focused on getting my rifle mags and ammo first but after a lot of reading about countries being invaded or economies collapsing I realized carrying a rifle will get you kill right up front but a pistol allows you to carry canceled as you move about so I would start to focus on mags and ammo for them first over the rifle. Just my opinion you have to make that call based on your view of the world and what you think will get banned first.

I would also stockpile magazine springs. Most likely the springs will give up before the magazine body does.

A quick word about M855. If your particular rifle will not get the velocity that M855 requires to perform properly...that being 3,250 ft/s, don't use it. The performance will suck until the cows come home. So don't use it in anything less than a 16" barrel. At 14.5", the performance is very unpredictable.
I don't think federal/lake city m855 will make 3250 fps out of a 20" pipe let alone a 16".

Ok I will get some and chrono it but 3300 fps is well over advertised velocity. IMI m855 which is usually a bit hotter than LC/ Federal M855 only clocks a bit over 3100 from a 20" pipe. Are you sure you are not thinking of m193?

Last Edited:
A .50cal can will reliably house 4 rows of 6 metal magazines snugly. A .30 cal can will hold a lot of .22lr in boxes, a decent amount of 9mm, and is awful for shotshells... but a wooden 90mm RCL cartridge crate will hold I want to say, 24 to 30 boxes of 12ga 2 3/4 ammo handily.

I buy both mags and ammo whenever possible; at the same time or separately depending on what money I have. I always look for deals and I stock up on both, and none of my mags are unloaded. Some mags are for range time and other mags are strictly do not use unless emergency. Same applies for the ammo >:0

Don't forget ammo boxes/etc.

20180226_192001.jpg

I feel like ammo is more important. Especially in a state like Oregon that is quickly headed towards the politics and gun control happening in California. Oregon is a stone throw away from having so called high capacity mags taken away. If that happens then all the money you spend on those 30 round Pmags is gone. As where no one is looking to take away what ammo you have. They just want to take away what you can buy in the future. So I keep a number of Pmags around, but I know I could loose them in the future. And my ammo is forever as long as I take care and store it properly. So I choose ammo as the most important stockpile component.

Which is more important? Ammo over mags or mags over ammo.

The answer is: YES!

There's mag restrictions on the horizon, you better get before the get gets gettin'. o_O
You don't really think you'll get to keep them legally if that happens do you? If they restrict the mags then they are useless unless you want to be prosecuted if you get caught with them..

You don't really think you'll get to keep them legally if that happens do you? If they restrict the mags then they are useless unless you want to be prosecuted if you get caught with them..
Doesn't matter in the slightest, NO sheriff in this state outside MultiCo would ever even think of enforcing any of this B.S, and very few city LEO would as well, that leaves the Staters who are not especially keen on getting into gun fights with armed citizens, nor are they particularly well staffed to afford the numbers required to go after any more then a hand full of folks at a time, which paints a great big red bullseye on their backs if/when they go full jackboot! In short, these things will likely pass, everyone will high five and claim they finally got gun control passed, meanwhile NOTHING will change, Criminals will keep on keeping on with their criminal stuff, and the rest of us will keep on keeping on, albeit with a more suspect eye toward LEO, and a level of distrust toward them at a time where that's the exact opposite of what they really need! If the Jackboots start enforcing things, it's gonna get people killed, NOT the kind of gun control they were planning on!

Seems to me you'd have to shoot A LOT of ammo out of magazines before they wear out and that ammo would be more important since without ammo, a gun is useless. Ammo being like fuel for a car and mags being like tires or other components.

That said, mags can be lost, damaged during training, etc. so good to stock up on them as well yeah? Would you agree though that ammo is MORE important to stock up on than mags? Having a heap of mags but running low on ammo doesn't do any good, even if you have a few thousand rounds of ammo, you're not going to burn through 10 mags with that ammo so it's better to have more ammo than mags, yes?
I would agree with you with one exception. If you are planning to oper8ate one day. You may want to load up all your ammo in mags so you can focus on targets and not refilling mags.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top