JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really like the PSA deals where you get ammo and mags .
I buy them all the time .
Ten Pmags and 450 rounds.
Lol I don't know how many mags I have for a AR15 probably 200 or more.

BTW - picked up 16 more mags today - 7 for one gun, 9 for the other

In the last year or two, I've spend quite a bit on mags
All my hand guns have at least 5 mags
My rifle magazines is out of control I don't really know how many AR or AK mags I have.
I do know I have 16 20 round mags for my M1A1 socom .
And three 25 round mags .
Lol and the 10 round mag that came with it.

I would also stockpile magazine springs. Most likely the springs will give up before the magazine body does.

A quick word about M855. If your particular rifle will not get the velocity that M855 requires to perform properly...that being 3,250 ft/s, don't use it. The performance will suck until the cows come home. So don't use it in anything less than a 16" barrel. At 14.5", the performance is very unpredictable.

To be clear, you are discussing the terminal ballistics of 855 out of short barrels?

Minimum: enough mags for each firearm for each person for a 'loadout' - i.e., enough mags that they carry on their person, plus one for carrying in the firearm. It varies by firearm/etc., but probably at least five per firearm per firearm per person - four for reloading, one in the firearm. Probably more like 7 per firearm per person. This is minimum. Better would be double that as spares.

E.G., PS90 and Five Seven - four to six 50 rd mags in harness for PS90, one in the rifle = five to seven. For the Five Seven pistol, four mags in harness, plus one in pistol = 5. Total loadout 350 + 100 = 450 rounds, or 250 + 100 = 350 rounds. Bear in mind that each of these rounds weighs half as much as a 9mm round. That's per person.

There are 3 people in my family carrying just these firearms (not to mention other firearms) - so 21 PS90 mags at a minimum - preferably 42. And no, I don't have that many (I think I have something like three per rifle per person - working on it (spent a LOT of $ last year on taxes, med/dental and car repair, going to have to buy yet another car this year again - *sigh*).

I do have enough ammo for the mags I need.
I too go for the 7 per firearm quota. For me that means have enough to have a minimum of seven for load out and seven as backup wherever I'm basing out of.(truck, house, etc.)

Would you agree though that ammo is MORE important to stock up on than mags?
Not if you live in Washington and Oregon.

Because magazine capacity is most definitely under attack from the left. My personal opinion is that they will succeed at restricting mag capacity within the next five years. With the growing diseases that are Portland and Seattle, it is only a matter of time before they will have the necessary votes. And at that point it will become illegal to purchase what we call "STANDARD" capacity mags.

If you want/need standard capacity mags, I would strongly suggest buying them sooner rather than later. That goes for so called "assault weapons" too. You have plenty of time to buy ammo. Although they will, most certainly, try to curtail that too at some point by way of requiring background checks to purchase it. :rolleyes:

Not if you live in Washington and Oregon.

Because magazine capacity is most definitely under attack from the left. My personal opinion is that they will succeed at restricting mag capacity within the next five years. With the growing diseases that are Portland and Seattle, it is only a matter of time before they will have the necessary votes. And at that point it will become illegal to purchase what we call "STANDARD" capacity mags.

If you want/need standard capacity mags, I would strongly suggest buying them sooner rather than later. That goes for so called "assault weapons" too. You have plenty of time to buy ammo. Although they will, most certainly, try to curtail that too at some point by way of requiring background checks to purchase it. :rolleyes:
So is ammo.

Yes, shorter than it was designed for.
This is true my AR pistol is awful with 855 .
My 16 inch gun shoots it just fine but the short barrel guns are bad .
I thought it was the red dot that was bad because I had to keep adjusting it .
But I figured it out that the different ammo was causing it to be off site.

Here you go PSA free shipping if you buy 10. Screenshot_2020-01-18_165543.jpg Screenshot_2020-01-18_165533.jpg

Yes, shorter than it was designed for.

So, I have always had great accuracy from 855 out of a 12.5". And have always jist used it as range ammo. I looked up a chart, and honestly it doesnt make sense to use 855 as a defensive round out of anything less than 20" if you want it to frag. Even a 16" will be below frag speed inside of 100yds.

So, I have always had great accuracy from 855 out of a 12.5". And have always jist used it as range ammo. I looked up a chart, and honestly it doesnt make sense to use 855 as a defensive round out of anything less than 20" if you want it to frag. Even a 16" will be below frag speed inside of 100yds.

A lot of people like to say that the 5.7x28 is too weak to be a defensive round, then they go and shoot 5.56x45 from short 12", 10" even 8" barrels and expect it to work at 200 yards - when you look at the ballistics, the ballistics at that distance are similar to the 5.7x28 at less than 100 yards (from the PS90) which is where the 5.7x28 is meant to be effective.:rolleyes:

Thanks for reminding me about this deal. Got some on the way :s0003:

They're "OK", I've relegated them to range use only (plinking/drills) for us & for gifting to friends whom understand & will use as such.

The Pmag gen 2 deal w/free ship PSA runs is the one to wait for & stock up on.

Note: they're not "bad", they're just not as good as Pmags is all. IMO.

My two cents...

General;
  • What I relate below can seem an enormous elephant sized challenge. The saying goes "how do eat an elephant? one bite at a time". I started out buying ammo $50 to $60 each pay period when it was twice the price it is now. Pretty soon I had my first 1,000 rounds.

If you want to buy bulk at a cheaper price but it doesn't fit your budget, create a "christmas club" for ammo or rifles and put that money away, cash in an envelope if you need to. It will add up quicker than you think.

Lastly, if elections or laws go sideways, break out that credit card or get a personal loan. The interest you pay will likely be cheaper than the inflated prices. Normally I wouldn't reccomend a loan, but sometimes exceptions need to be made.
  • Mags and ammo are cheaper now than they have been since prior to the last Presidential election. Prices have started to climb, not much, but some. Depending on what happens in the next election that coud change dramatically as could new legislation at the state level. Buy them now and buy as big as you can afford,
  • Same goes with rifles. $500 AR's are all over the place. Politics could and likely will change that dramatically.
  • Balance between firearm, ammo, and mah purchases is key.

Rirearms
  • one main standardized type semi automatic rifle and pistol per person.
  • Consider one heavier cartridge semi auto per four to six people as their main weapon. Example, five people with an AR or AK and one with a FAL, MiA, AR10, etc.
  • One spare rife per four to six people
  • One or two shotguns per four to six people. Standardize if possible if you have more than one "team"
  • One rifle capable of long range precision engagement per four people. Boltie or DMR your choice.
  • Don't forget slings and holsters. Practice movement with holstered and carried firearms.
  • Replacement parts and tools,
  • Keep familiarized with your weapons. I telecommute and keep an AR by my desk. I use it as a dumbell of sorts when I'm on a break or sometimes thinking through a problem. Amazing how much lighter it feels now than when I started. Most of us lost the bloom of youth a long time ago and our bodies need more maintenance. Your firearm is useless if you aren't strong enough to handle it for longer than a couple of minutes.

Mags:
  • Double the load out for each person, so if you load out is seven (one loaded, six in pouches) you would get 14 per person.
  • Enough additional mags to cover a defensive strategy for your "castle". This includes how many you want to be able to stash at each shooting position.
  • Keep them loaded less two rounds from maximim to keep the lips in good shape. Springs can last as long compressed as uncompressed. It's compression cycles that wears out springs.
  • Unloaded mags are at best as useful as a rock the same weight, Again keep them loaded,
  • don't forget extra springs.
  • For price ans quality my magazine of choice are the DSG GI mags sols by PSA. Don't get me wrong, my P-MAGs and Brownell mags aren't going away. They all have anti tilt followers and all work very well, I just like to use the money saved on other things like ammo and spare parts.
  • Consider dump pouches for when you are mobile. Even if you have to dump it every so often it's easier to locate a few piles of mags than mags strewn all over the place.
  • On mag loader (like Maglula) for each type of firearm per person
Ammo:
  • How good a shot are you? If you can't hit what you are shooting no amount of ammo will matter. Practice, practice, practice.
  • More is always better than less
  • Minimum 1,000 rounds per person per semi-automatic 5,56 or 7.62x39 rifle. Preferred 2,500 rounds, ideal 5,000 rounds. Half that for 7.62x51.
  • 10,000 rounds of 22LR
  • Minimum 200 rounds per bolt action rifle.
  • Minimum 599 rounds per shotgun
  • Don't forget reloading toos and supplies
  • Ammo not stored in mags should be on stripper clips. Clips are cheap and devices like the Striplula make it quick and easy.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads