JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
it does. When I used to be a gun owner thats how I did it. Hunting and premium loads I kept in their original box though but then I turned vegan and even got rid of those too.

Me too, after everything went overboard in Lake Louise, except for the rice cakes and hacky-sacks. Those remain.

One great "safe" is to not show anybody your stuff who doesn't need to know about it.

If they don't know it's there, it's really difficult to carelessly talk about and shoot off their mouths to casual acquaintances, a.k.a. idiots who think about stealing other people's ammo and guns, don't ya know.

Not to anyone in particular, just tossing this out there. Anyone using the basement to store ammo (or guns) should be aware that moisture collects at low points like basements. It's even worse in old basements where the foundation may be porous. In the warmer and wetter months, humidity can rise to very high levels. For storage longevity, a use of a room dehumidifier is recommended. http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/appliances/dehumidifier-reviews/

Some have drains that go right into the sink, saving you the trouble of having to empty them repeatedly.

I learned that moisture thing the easy way when my kids BB gun that had been leaned up against the wall (by me) was showing serious rust completely down the barrel after just a few months. Got a dehumidifier and it measured the moisture as off the charts high. The thing has been working for @7 years continuously, and will pull a full gallon of water out of the air overnight. I can change the setting so that the moisture level rises and it works less hard (ie, think warm humid days where the family is leaving windows open), then lower it later when the humidity naturally lowers.

Last Edited:
I store my cartridge ammunition, in their original boxes, in 50 caliber ammo cans. I bought an inexpensive label maker and labeled each can in three locations (top, end and side) as to it's contents.

For many of us this is overkill but I have lots of cans and they seem to get heavier every year. I don't want to have a heart attack looking through stacks of cans for my .43 Spanish ammo.

I agree, "munitions" is a loaded word :)))
even worse than 'evil bullets' and while I have no need to gather or store ammunition I can see where saying those things would get the poster on a list, or many lists.:cool:

Just recharged all of my reusable desiccant tins. I keep one in each .50cal can that I have as well a large one in the safes.

Little beads change color letting you know it's time to toss them in the oven for a couple hours.

Had to go this route vs a plug in because that 4K lb safe in the garage has 8" thick walls and I've just never felt like drilling a hole for electricity.

============

For labeling ammo cans, I use a piece of masking tape and use a sharpie to write what is inside. A poo mans label maker:p

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top