JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Stay completely away from the checkering unless you want to remove it, Screw it all up, or Pay someone to recut it.

I always cover the checking with 3-4 layers of blue tape before sanding anywhere around it as a safety measure.

Cover the checkering with tape (heavy tape or multi-layered) and be careful when sanding. Once the stock is sounded, use a chemical stripper (the only time I actually use chemical stripper on stocks is with checkering) and a toothbrush. I like stiff bristled tooth brushes. Be patient and take your time.

The OP didn't specify if his Remington has cut checkering or the early, less nice, pressed in reverse checkering.
If its the pressed type light sanding won't do much harm, but you'd still need to clean it out.
Years ago, I refinished the stocks on am 1100 that had the pressed checkering.
It was actually fairly easy to follow the pattern with checkering tools to turn it into real cut checkering.

brownells has the "dembart" tools, you'll need a handle, cutting heads, and a lot of patience. A toothbrush will help clean away debris. Do it last after sanding the stock. after the finish is on the rest of the stock and dry, treat the raw wood of the checkering with boiled linseed oil, use another toothbrush.

Redneck, I don't sand stocks, or use chemicals to remove the old finish. I shave the old finish off using either the side edge of a wood chisel (not the "blade" edge), or picture frame glass (dangerous, not for the amateur). It scrapes off the finish, and with practice virtually no wood (Less than sandpaper!!). Really old school, had a hungarian gunsmith show me how years ago.

I can now strip a stock in less than an hour. It still takes some sandpaper for the hard to get spots, but not much.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top