JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Do you prefer Stippling,Talon Grips, or Hogue

• Stippling!

• Talon Grips!

• Hogue!

• Other type not listed!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Another vote for calluses and grip strength
Muh slappin warts..

20211125_164746.jpg

Lulz

I've used Talon grip tape and a few other brands... ALL of them tend to slide a bit when used on an EDC gun carried IWB. Talon was the best, but even they would slide a little. I guess the combination of my super-hot body and almost constant friction from being in the driver's seat a dozen or so hours/day (trucker) was too much for em. Installing them correctly helps with this, but doesn't alleviate it completely.
Stippling is permanent, obviously, so there's equally obvious advantages and disadvantages to that too. I have seen some pretty incredible pro jobs and a few homemade that are passable.
I've also used the Hogue Hand-All and Limbsaver slip-on sleeves... the Limbsaver units are thicker and squishy when compared to the Hogue pieces. I prefer the Hogue.
I wouldn't hesitate to use Talon grips on any open carry or non-EDC gun. Same for the slip-on sleeves. I use nothing on the grips of my carry guns.

Pro-tip: use a little hand sanitizer when installing the slip-on grip sleeves. It makes it slide into place easily and then evaporates completely, unlike dish soap or other benign lubricants.

Stipple. The tape grips can / will fail and you have to keep replacing them. I like hogue rubber grips on metal guns with replaceable grip panels. I used to use the Handall slip ons, but they slip too much. On gen 3 Glocks I used to cut a piece of bike inner tube and stretch it over the grip, before I just started going to stippled guns.

OrxfodC.jpg

On my M&P, I stippled the back strap, and stippled memory pads for my shooting thumb and support thumb. On Glocks, I'll do full grip stipple.

Fitting the "Other" category though - just buy a gun with factory grippy texture, like an M2.0 M&P, or the new Walther, or a classy metal gun and put some nicely checkered wood or micarta grips on it!

aukM64n.jpg

The Walther's texture is grippy without being a clothing shredder. Glocks sand-paper like RTF grip on the fish-gill guns was good.

Stippling done right is superior to grip tape, rubber, or smooth guns.

Purchased a budget minded Smith SD just to have a 40 in the safe.
Factory stippling is way to pointy.

Another vote for the Talon grip wraps, cheap, easy to install and I like this gun way better now.

Moss color matched the FDE better than anticipated.

Apex on order and I may even Sporterize with a light.

Again there is no right answer if it's something like a double stack Glock where the grip is already big I'd lean towards stippling even though it destroys the value. I found sometimes it's just something different feels good. I've found months later when I take the grip tape off im usually fine with the original grips. All the tricky Dicky doodads in the world won't make you an expert shooter if you don't get out and shoot a lot, And if you get out shoot a lot you find you don't need to tricky Dicky doodads.

Again there is no right answer if it's something like a double stack Glock where the grip is already big I'd lean towards stippling even though it destroys the value. I found sometimes it's just something different feels good. I've found months later when I take the grip tape off im usually fine with the original grips. All the tricky Dicky doodads in the world won't make you an expert shooter if you don't get out and shoot a lot, And if you get out shoot a lot you find you don't need to tricky Dicky doodads.
I'm not quite sure if there's a vague reference to Richard Nixon in that post…. :s0153:

Stipple. The tape grips can / will fail and you have to keep replacing them. I like hogue rubber grips on metal guns with replaceable grip panels. I used to use the Handall slip ons, but they slip too much. On gen 3 Glocks I used to cut a piece of bike inner tube and stretch it over the grip, before I just started going to stippled guns.

View attachment 1078740

On my M&P, I stippled the back strap, and stippled memory pads for my shooting thumb and support thumb. On Glocks, I'll do full grip stipple.

Fitting the "Other" category though - just buy a gun with factory grippy texture, like an M2.0 M&P, or the new Walther, or a classy metal gun and put some nicely checkered wood or micarta grips on it!

View attachment 1078741

The Walther's texture is grippy without being a clothing shredder. Glocks sand-paper like RTF grip on the fish-gill guns was good.

Stippling done right is superior to grip tape, rubber, or smooth guns.
I use both the Talon tape and a stippled palm swell on my full sized M&P. It isn't a concealed carry or EDC gun, but does see 2-4k rounds a year plus a lot of dry fire. Tape lasted about 4 years before it needed replacement. Correct installation, including surface prep, is the key to tape lasting longer.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top