JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
mastering, or at least having consistent grip and stance will help tremendously. However, my feeling is that there is really no such thing as a double tap. There are multiple rounds with the same aim point. You MUST have a proper sight picture before the trigger press, every single time. Try watching the front sight when the shot breaks. Once you can master the front sight you can actually call your shots because you know where the front sight was at the moment of ignition. It takes patience, thought, and practice. The first time you realize that you can actually call a shot is a bit of a zen moment.
Respectfully, that is the difference between a double tap and a controlled pair. (There are various names for each.) The two quick shots are fired with one sight picture, quickly (say .20 split time). This is done at a distance where you can get your muzzle back to the natural point of aim and get the second shot on target. For some this distance may be 3 yards or less, others may be able to stretch this out further.

The controlled pair does have two separate sight pictures and is slightly slower. I will agree with you completely in that some shooters always shoot at the speed of controlled pairs with good sight pictures. Nothing wrong with that. Some will just find that at close distances they do not need a second (or even first) sight picture to get shots on target if they have a good natural point of aim. Also agree on the zen moment you speak of. Just different styles some shooters have. Great to have different perspectives in this thread.

Wasted $64 yesterday on ammo. This is becoming more expensive than skiing or golfing.

"INVESTED" -- not wasted. you got practice. Without that practice, you wouldn't know your second shot might hit a bystander. You just saved yourself a million dollar lawsuit so all your ammo for the rest of your life is essentially free.

Secondly, to shoot well you must shoot a lot -- there are things you can do when you can't shoot that are helpful, but nothing can substitute for the recoil and noise of real shooting. The pistol I carry, before I started carrying it I set myself a goal of 1000 rounds of practice using it with a holster -- even that isn't really that much -- four or five weekends maybe.

Last Edited:
Film it with an iPhone if you can, cuz this site doesn't accept MP4 formatted videos, only MOV format.
Alternatively, go online and find CloudConvert, and convert your MP4 to MOV, then post it up here.
Good luck!

Another option for people without a youtube account is Imgur -- you can upload videos and the videos will preview and play in posts here. I think they accept virtually any video format.

John at Warrior Poet is good stuff. I also do that "elbow roll" thing he does, but I've figured out a way to do it that keeps my gun upright, instead of canted.
It has to do with making my support hand thumb extend along the frame and be parallel to the ground, not pointed slightly upward, like a lot of folks do.
By forcing my thumb to be parallel to the ground, I get the "lock" that John's elbow roll also induces, but my gun remains upright.

About canting -- I was watching Olympic shooters a few years ago and saw almost everyone intentionally canting. When I was a kid learning target .22, canting was a big nono but times must have changed. I still do all I can to avoid any cant but I wonder -- maybe it's time I read up on the modern take regarding canting.

If this girl can do it, I have to be able to do it too. ;)

Would have loved to see how she did on cardboard. I hear those "precious" targets are the bees knees.....

576A1018-6ECF-4EF3-9545-F36F34E16D95.jpeg

when doing double tap, I can't wait for the sight to return because it takes too long for the sight to return to original position.

There is NO difference between a "double tap" and rapid fire. To put two rounds on the target (or two to the chest one to the head, or hitting multiple targets in quick succession, or dumping the entire mag or cylinder into someones chest) you HAVE to wait till the front sight is back on target.

I don't know where you got the idea that a double tap is just pulling the trigger fast but you need to change coaches get rid of any electronic timers and learn to drill properly just as you have been advised to do previously in this very thread.

Respectfully, that is the difference between a double tap and a controlled pair. (There are various names for each.) The two quick shots are fired with one sight picture, quickly (say .20 split time). This is done at a distance where you can get your muzzle back to the natural point of aim and get the second shot on target. For some this distance may be 3 yards or less, others may be able to stretch this out further.

The controlled pair does have two separate sight pictures and is slightly slower. I will agree with you completely in that some shooters always shoot at the speed of controlled pairs with good sight pictures. Nothing wrong with that. Some will just find that at close distances they do not need a second (or even first) sight picture to get shots on target if they have a good natural point of aim. Also agree on the zen moment you speak of. Just different styles some shooters have. Great to have different perspectives in this thread.
No. What gun retains the same sight picture after it recoils??? If you are training to an electronic gadget you are not practicing for the real world. Even if you are snap shooting you are still doing vertical index aiming on the that barrel. I see no reason whatsoever to need to deal with two different sight pictures just because the rules of your artificial sport requires the use of electronic timing gadgets that rewards speed instead if hits.

Last Edited:
mastering, or at least having consistent grip and stance will help tremendously. However, my feeling is that there is really no such thing as a double tap. There are multiple rounds with the same aim point. You MUST have a proper sight picture before the trigger press, every single time. Try watching the front sight when the shot breaks. Once you can master the front sight you can actually call your shots because you know where the front sight was at the moment of ignition. It takes patience, thought, and practice. The first time you realize that you can actually call a shot is a bit of a zen moment.
Correct.

There is NO difference between a "double tap" and rapid fire. To put two rounds on the target (or two to the chest one to the head, or hitting multiple targets in quick succession, or dumping the entire mag or cylinder into someones chest) you HAVE to wait till the front sight is back on target.
Respectfully disagree. There is no need for a "sight picture" in the real world for a second shot a five feet in a gunfight. You are wasting time. The distance will vary from shooter to shooter on how far away a high center mass target can be hit on the second shot (or subsequent) shot. If you are doing a Mozambique drill (or in the real world) the third shot to the much smaller head vault will require more time and likely a sight picture. Depending on the distance, perhaps all three shots will as you note.

No. What gun retains the same sight picture after it recoils???
I find grip and especially knowing your natural point of aim is underrated. Many shooters are fighting against where their gun wants to go to naturally. With your eyes closed your gun should return to the same position it was when you fired the first shot. This is a skill set that needs to be practiced and is a perishable skill. Guns that don't fit the shooter well are often the culprit. This is why I personally do not shoot Glocks. With my natural hand position they point 30 degrees upward. Obviously for millions of other shooters, they work fine.

FYI, Virtually all my training is for self, not gaming. I occasionally shoot games for the added stress but may sacrifice time/score to be more tactically sound in a run.

Respectfully disagree. There is no need for a "sight picture" in the real world for a second shot a five feet in a gunfight. You are wasting time. The distance will vary from shooter to shooter on how far away a high center mass target can be hit on the second shot (or subsequent) shot. If you are doing a Mozambique drill (or in the real world) the third shot to the much smaller head vault will require more time and likely a sight picture. Depending on the distance, perhaps all three shots will as you note.

I find grip and especially knowing your natural point of aim is underrated. Many shooters are fighting against where their gun wants to go to naturally. With your eyes closed your gun should return to the same position it was when you fired the first shot. This is a skill set that needs to be practiced and is a perishable skill. Guns that don't fit the shooter well are often the culprit. This is why I personally do not shoot Glocks. With my natural hand position they point 30 degrees upward. Obviously for millions of other shooters, they work fine.

FYI, Virtually all my training is for self, not gaming. I occasionally shoot games for the added stress but may sacrifice time/score to be more tactically sound in a run.
At five feet the target is like one and a half feet away from the gun.

I have spent much time in the past point/snap shooting including firing a Garand from the hip and slam firing a shotgun with the stock tucked under my shoulder. But for me, aimed fire results in more hits at greater than contact distances especially with a pistol which doesn't have the advantage of that long barrel being in ones view.

What I don't get is your mixing of different sight pictures in the same drill. If you are going to point shoot then point shoot with your first AND second shot. If you use the front sight then do so both times. Personally I don't think the extra time it takes to raise the weapon from either the low ready or from the holster up to eye level, instead of some intermediate point, is even measurable.

I have spent much time in the past point/snap shooting including firing a Garand from the hip and slam firing a shotgun with the stock tucked under my shoulder. But for me, aimed fire results in more hits at greater than contact distances especially with a pistol which doesn't have the advantage of that long barrel being in ones view.

What I don't get is your mixing of different sight pictures in the same drill. If you are going to point shoot then point shoot with your first AND second shot. If you use the front sight then do so both times. Personally I don't think the extra time it takes to raise the weapon from either the low ready or from the holster up to eye level, instead of some intermediate point, is even measurable.

As a third party, I think you guys are talking the same point. I think everyone agrees that up close, you can just rely on your natural point of aim.

Dry fire practice is important but does have some limitations with this type of shooting.

Such as a lack of real-world recoil.

Now that I'm considered "elderly," I have to work harder at my shooting skills. Left on its own, my grip will relax unaccountably. So not long ago when I was shooting a .45 (1911), I got the "double tap" unwanted a couple of times. Until I realized that after initial recoil, my insufficient grip was allowing the pistol to rebound forward, which in turn caused a second trigger pull. Not good. So I have to work at doing it right. Not a pwobwem with my 9mm's or revolvers. This particular .45 has a long trigger for my longer fingers. Likely would not be an issue with the short trigger such as found on a WW2 GI .45.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads