JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yep I bought a long barrel gun (canik tp9sfx is 5.25") and upgraded the trigger and I'm using a streamlight to help me with recoil but isn't helping me doing double-taps. LOL. So much harder than I thought.

Nice pistol, you will get the hang of it and laugh remembering this. Just remember almost all of us are never going to shoot like some of the pros. Just slow down to what ever you can do and still make decent hits. When I was a kid I used to see those ads for the Nylon 66 with that pro sitting on a mountain of 2x2 wood blocks he had shot. He had someone tossing them in the air and he was nailing them. I burned through an ungodly amount of .22 ammo trying to learn to do this. Never could come close to what he did. finally gave up. The real pros's make everything they do look easy :D

@briant27 Not being snarky at all, but I have to ask... Have you implemented all of what was previously discussed in this thread?

I abandoned the Lena's grip because it didn't work and it feels too loose. I waited for the sight to return and the tempo needs to be slower and it works perfectly like others said, but when doing double tap, I can't wait for the sight to return because it takes too long for the sight to return to original position. My trigger is upgraded and so light so I don't think it's the issue. Bottom line is my grip is the culprit I think, not sure.

I abandoned the Lena's grip because it didn't work and it feels too loose.
I wasn't referring to adopting Lena's grip, just the thread. What I meant was trying out all of the helpful hints that everyone else provided after your OP in that thread.

I waited for the sight to return and the tempo needs to be slower and it works perfectly like others said, but when doing double tap, I can't wait for the sight to return because it takes too long for the sight to return to original position. My trigger
Without actually seeing you shoot, I still surmise that the issue is your grip, based upon what you just said. Easily 75% of shooting issues have to do with the grip.
If it's taking that long for your gun to come out of recoil and get back on target, then I still believe that your grip is the issue, and it's likely too loose and/or you have not "locked up" your wrists.

Have you considered having someone film you, and then post up the video here for constructive criticism?
I did it a few times, and no one shat all over me, and if there ever was someone that deserved to be shat all over, well... :D

Last Edited:
I wasn't referring to adopting Lena's grip, just the thread. What I meant was trying out all of the helpful hints that everyone else provided after your OP in that thread.

Without actually seeing you shoot, I still surmise that the issue is your grip, based upon what you just said. Easily 75% of shooting issues have to do with the grip.
If it's taking that long for your gun to come out of recoil and get back on target, then I still believe that your grip is the issue, and it's likely too loose.

Have you considered having someone film you, and then post up the video here for constructive criticism?
I did it a few times, and no one shat all over me, and if there ever was someone that deserved to be shat all over, well... :D

Yep, going to try to bring a friend along or a tripod. :)

Yep, going to try to bring a friend along or a tripod. :)
Do that. And we don't need to see all of you in order to offer you some suggestions (if you're shy). ;)
Have the photographer focus on your upper body, from the shoulders to the end of the muzzle.
We'll be able to see whether you're "scrunching" your head into your shoulders, your arm extension, elbows, wrists, and most importantly, your grip.

Film it with an iPhone if you can, cuz this site doesn't accept MP4 formatted videos, only MOV format.
Alternatively, go online and find CloudConvert, and convert your MP4 to MOV, then post it up here.
Good luck!

I waited for the sight to return and the tempo needs to be slower and it works perfectly like others said, but when doing double tap, I can't wait for the sight to return because it takes too long for the sight to return to original position.
I think I see what the problem is.....just add "so I miss wildly with the second shot" to the end of the above quote.

I think John does a solid job here talking about managing recoil...Might be worth a watch. @briant27

John at Warrior Poet is good stuff. I also do that "elbow roll" thing he does, but I've figured out a way to do it that keeps my gun upright, instead of canted.
It has to do with making my support hand thumb extend along the frame and be parallel to the ground, not pointed slightly upward, like a lot of folks do.
By forcing my thumb to be parallel to the ground, I get the "lock" that John's elbow roll also induces, but my gun remains upright.

Last Edited:
Though it does not account for recoil, Dry fire with a (constant on) laser is an eyeopener as to your real stability during trigger pull.
tape any sort of cheap laser on your gun and just try keep it trained on a light switch or whatever while pulling the trigger.

Or, you can lay a coin on top of the barrel just behind the front sight. Dry fire practice with a coin helped me learn to hold a handgun steady while pulling the trigger. Gave me a bit of practice at picking up coins, too.

Of course, this works best on a revolver - since you can just keep pulling the trigger without having to rack a slide.

Just be sure to unload the gun and leave the ammo in another room if you do this kind of thing inside your house.

... I can't wait for the sight to return because it takes too long for the sight to return to original position. ...

If you don't wait for the sight to return you will NEVER hit your second and subsequent shots. The sight MUST point back to the target before firing the gun. The bullet will only go where the gun is pointed, so if it's not pointed at the target how do you expect it to actually strike the target?

As already stated, the most likely culprit for slow return from the muzzle flip is your grip, and your stance can be part of this too. Post up a video or go get a lesson from a quality instructor, you will save a ton in time and ammo costs. I agree that gripping the gun is the major part of shooting well, regardless of speed. So make sure this is correct before you spend too much more time or money spraying bullets to who knows where.

Also stated and an excellent idea is to get a shot timer. You can get free apps for you phone but they tend not to work as well as a dedicated tool. Set a par time to where you can keep both shots in a reasonable sized group. An 8-9 inch paper plate at 15 feet is a great starting point. I don't care how long it takes to do these two shots. Just find the time required to do it perfectly every single time.

Then, reduce the par time by just 1/10 of a second. Train at this speed until you can again make the grade every time! Then reduce it a further tenth and repeat. Keep doing this and you will see some remarkable improvement in your times (and probably your grouping) over a short period of time.

Remember, you need to see the front sight back in the A-zone each and every shot. This is important when shooting paper and imperative when shooting for self-defense!

See the sights well enough to get the accuracy you need, every time you press the trigger. Not to double back on my post, but this is much easier and faster to do with a proper stance and grip on the gun.

I hope this helps!

Last Edited:
Or, you can lay a coin on top of the barrel just behind the front sight. Dry fire practice with a coin helped me learn to hold a handgun steady while pulling the trigger. Gave me a bit of practice at picking up coins, too.

Of course, this works best on a revolver - since you can just keep pulling the trigger without having to rack a slide.

Just be sure to unload the gun and leave the ammo in another room if you do this kind of thing inside your house.
Early on in my training, my instructor did this same thing, but with an empty brass. He didn't care that I couldn't see the front sight, since it as obscured by the shell case standing on end in front of the post. All he cared about was that I could squeeze the trigger without having the case fall off, over and over and over and over again...
That really taught me something about trigger squeeze, proper grip, and muscle control.

I actually have folks I'm working with place the coin on top of the front sight itself. Then when they can trigger the gun without that falling off (and they are starting to think they are pretty hot stuff) I have them balance and empty shell case ... again on top of the front sight not the slide.

When you can trigger the gun without losing an empty shell casing you really have grooved your trigger press. It's a great drill to do from time to time to really keep your press refined. Like stropping a razor every so often ... it keeps the skill very sharp indeed!

mastering, or at least having consistent grip and stance will help tremendously. However, my feeling is that there is really no such thing as a double tap. There are multiple rounds with the same aim point. You MUST have a proper sight picture before the trigger press, every single time. Try watching the front sight when the shot breaks. Once you can master the front sight you can actually call your shots because you know where the front sight was at the moment of ignition. It takes patience, thought, and practice. The first time you realize that you can actually call a shot is a bit of a zen moment.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top