JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I own a mdl GK in 30-06 sn24xxx it was left to me by a good friend. He had it custom made and picked up at the factory. It's still unfired with no box or papers. It's not tapped for a scope. I think it's a side mount. I'm trying to find out more about the gun. Getting it drilled and tapped correctly, getting the correct mount. I want to use it before it passes on to my son. I'm also looking for the original pamphlet that came with it or a copy. Any help out there?????

Ah, it's the Model reference - gotcha.

Does it look like this? As you can see, there is nowhere to D&T a rear base. With this model- THIS is how it's done, but it's around $1K of custom claw mounts, plus rings... :( I'm sure there are people and places who can help you out - Velzey, perhaps? Worth axing him, right?

1582235329331.png

First you can try email - www.steyr-arms.com

EDIT - I've taken the liberty of doing it for you - hope you are unmindish of it. :)

Last Edited:
That sure looks like it. According to Steyer it was made before that one I've got the safety along the side of the receiver at the back right side. What I'd like to do is get it drilled and tapped on the side and a scope mount for it. Any ideas. And if I would how much would it affect the value. Any idea what the value is as it sits???

That is a rare and VERY hard-to-find rifle. You'll probably find that D&T-ing it will drop any value by around 50%, even if you find that it CAN be done. Me, I have my doubts. Any gunsmith trying to D&T it is going to be taking part in a drill-busting exercise - they are hard like you cannot imagine - all work, like hole-drilling for the mounts - is done to the receiver/action BEFORE hardening. Only after that were they blued.

It's Steyr, BTW.

Can you not just be happy to leave it as it is - iron-sighted?

I can be happy with it as is. It was given to me by a be good friend before he passed. He didn't have it drilled for a reason and I guess I'll live with it. It's not the only gun in my safe

@Brad W Wi

You have a very good friend to pass along his cherished piece of art. Sounds like it's potentially very rare. Enjoy it for what it was meant to be.
Keep it comfy. A sock would be comforting. ;) :)

I have one with the claw mounting system. The guts were just gone one day and no clue where the parts are.....somewhere in the woods. The front two claws on the scope slipped in the two holes buy the rear iron, the single rear claw slipped in on the left side near the rear of the bolt. The empy void facing the rear of the rifle is where the spring and button used to be .
I contacted Steyr and they said I was out of luck on the mount but the said I should charish the rifle as is, they said the rifles are special .
I took it around and no smith really even seen one let alone thought they could fix it .
The rifle is awesome and the trigger is classified as scary , with the rear set it is straight scary .
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1244.JPG
IMG_1241.JPG

Last Edited:
I can be happy with it as is. It was given to me by a be good friend before he passed. He didn't have it drilled for a reason and I guess I'll live with it. It's not the only gun in my safe

Wise decision.

And thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you make a decision that could have, IMO, turned out to have been a serious and costly mistake. Such mounts CAN be obtained in the US, and fitting them is not for somebody who has not had the experience to do so without making a total balls-up of it. Such expertise is costy.

The other point I'd like to make is that putting anything except a premium-grade OLDER-style scope - Zeiss, Hensoldt, Voigtlaender et al - on a rifle of this vintage is also not going to serve to preserve the ethos of buying such a rifle in the first place. When it was new, back in the early 1950's, it might have cost the average US blue-collar worker three or four months' wages. I have a similar scope that would suit it, made by Hensoldt, and $2000 right there in my hand might make me part with it, but it's not guaranteed.

I've already written Steyr on your behalf. Not a lot more I can do, TBH, I think your on to a loser as far as getting a manual for a gun that's -

1. Around seventy years old.

2. Probably never had a manual in the first place.

My friend told me he had it made for him. He went to the factory and ordered it and went back a year later to pick it up. Said in the box was the manual and a target with 3 shots that could be covered with a quarter. Plus the documents of the sale. I sure wish I had those. Lost in a flooded basement. Thanks for all the help in finding out information on this gun

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top