JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi Fellow C&R Junkies,

Quite some time ago, I picked up this Stevens 325 with a group of rifles and parts from an estate. I really had no idea what the heck a 325 was, and never knew there was such a thing as a .30-30 bolt gun. The stock was in very poor condition, the gas shield clips were bent (which had the bolt jammed), and of course it had never been cleaned. I was able to persuade the bolt out, and save the mechanicals.

I often wonder how people could treat ANY civilian fire arm so badly. The wood had dents, gouges, and deep scratches. It took quite a bit of sanding and steam, and then I just had to say it was as good as it was gonna get.

While LGS dumpster diving, I found a recoil pad that would be a close enough fit, with a little trim off the butt and pad both, and a nice era correct basket weave sling. I added the swivels.

Some Old English and syth oil on the furniture, a splash of olive oil on the dried up sling, and viola, good loner gun or first time center fire shooter rifle.

The final item needing addressed was the rear sight. It had a crack that needed braised. I got a replacement ladder from Numrich, off a .22 bolt but fits. Came with an extra mag, and the pointy boolits I picked up garage sailing.

I know I've committed a mortal C&R sin with sanding and saw, but it lives to kill again. PAX

325%20001_zpsugb2glih.jpg

325%20003_zpshqilwdbf.jpg

325%20004_zpsd382btwq.jpg

That is a cool calibre in a bolt gun. Lord, that is homely but I think that I could grow to love it if I did a makeover to the stock somehow. PAX!

I looked at it from every angle, but the bolt handle channel and mag well design just messes any continuity. Plus there were/are too many more pressing projects. PAX

Have the exact same gun, and a similar condition when I got it. only problem is as far as I can tell the only way to hit the broad side of a barn with the damn thing is to start from the inside.

No, you haven't done anything wrong to restore a gun that is already far gone. If anything, you've saved it from the junk. Your work looks good.

The Savage / Stevens line of rifles like this, they were never all that handsome to begin with. But perfectly functional. The one I had was in .222 Remington. It was branded Coast to Coast stores. The factory made a lot of these for retail stores to sell with their own brand name on them.

The receivers on these are made from seamless steel tubing.

Old thread but I'll bite! If you are ever in the mood to do more I'd put some taper around the bolt channel and the grasping area of the mag well. Bring the edge of the mag well to.the surface of the metal.

The action sits deep into the stock. Can you bring the top of the stock down some?

The recoil pad looks great.

Had one years ago. It was surprisingly accurate but ugly gun. I used it as a truck gun/loaner
until someone just "had to have it". If I ever get the urge for another 30-30 bolt gun I'll
probably try to find a Remington 788.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads