Stevens 325 Salvage

Reactions
Hi Fellow C&R Junkies,

Quite some time ago, I picked up this Stevens 325 with a group of rifles and parts from an estate. I really had no idea what the heck a 325 was, and never knew there was such a thing as a .30-30 bolt gun. The stock was in very poor condition, the gas shield clips were bent (which had the bolt jammed), and of course it had never been cleaned. I was able to persuade the bolt out, and save the mechanicals.

I often wonder how people could treat ANY civilian fire arm so badly. The wood had dents, gouges, and deep scratches. It took quite a bit of sanding and steam, and then I just had to say it was as good as it was gonna get.

While LGS dumpster diving, I found a recoil pad that would be a close enough fit, with a little trim off the butt and pad both, and a nice era correct basket weave sling. I added the swivels.

Some Old English and syth oil on the furniture, a splash of olive oil on the dried up sling, and viola, good loner gun or first time center fire shooter rifle.

The final item needing addressed was the rear sight. It had a crack that needed braised. I got a replacement ladder from Numrich, off a .22 bolt but fits. Came with an extra mag, and the pointy boolits I picked up garage sailing.

I know I've committed a mortal C&R sin with sanding and saw, but it lives to kill again. PAX

325%20001_zpsugb2glih.jpg

325%20003_zpshqilwdbf.jpg

325%20004_zpsd382btwq.jpg

Bon Sauvage

Reactions
That is a cool calibre in a bolt gun. Lord, that is homely but I think that I could grow to love it if I did a makeover to the stock somehow. PAX!

OP
echo1
Reactions
That is a cool calibre in a bolt gun. Lord, that is homely but I think that I could grow to love it if I did a makeover to the stock somehow. PAX!
I looked at it from every angle, but the bolt handle channel and mag well design just messes any continuity. Plus there were/are too many more pressing projects. PAX

Reactions
Have the exact same gun, and a similar condition when I got it. only problem is as far as I can tell the only way to hit the broad side of a barn with the damn thing is to start from the inside.

BoringCruffler

Reactions
I have one, but the bolt handle is different. Of course, I could be remembering it wrong, I don't think it's been out of the safe in 25 years:confused:

gmerkt

Reactions
No, you haven't done anything wrong to restore a gun that is already far gone. If anything, you've saved it from the junk. Your work looks good.

The Savage / Stevens line of rifles like this, they were never all that handsome to begin with. But perfectly functional. The one I had was in .222 Remington. It was branded Coast to Coast stores. The factory made a lot of these for retail stores to sell with their own brand name on them.

The receivers on these are made from seamless steel tubing.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show 2021 show is cancelled
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
22 Rimfire Challenge
Redmond Rod and Gun Club
Redmond, OR 97756, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Copeland Custom Gunworks
    5.00 star(s)
    The only gunsmith I'll use
    Tim has done a few projects for me and the result is always the same. Amazing. End of story. From complete refinish to custom machining, Tim is...
    5.00 star(s)
    great work refinishing my 27 year old 1991 a1 compact colt .45
    Tim did a great job making my gun look brand new again and replacing the old parts inside. Super Happy!!
  • Lucky Sporting Goods
    5.00 star(s)
    Just a transfer but a great one. A+
    Came here today to meet another forum member to buy a Glock. Was the best transfer I've had the pleasure of doing. Even though I was just there...
    5.00 star(s)
    Great work threading Tikka barrel
    I dropped off my Tikka to have Tim thread the stainless barrel. GREAT work. Excellent communications. Highly recommend Tim. Very good value for...
  • Sound Loan and Pawn
    5.00 star(s)
    Helpful and Handy
    I have shopped, transferred, bought, browsed, or merely stopped in for a friendly hello or two, and every time without fail I left feeling better...
    • 10mm
Top Bottom