JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks I was hoping for some advice.... first off i got a model 200 in .223 and I was wondering on what you guys thought about the gun. Secondly i would like to know what you folks would do too this fire arm. My main purpose for this firearm is to have it for coyotes and a good shtf firearm.

Thanks to all who post.
Steven Zimmerman

Well i can say the model 200 in 30-06 is a superb hunting gun. So i reckon the wee 223 round would be fine for vamits. But in the model 200 configuration the 223 is not a combat gun.
Now if you were running a real fighting caliber like an 30-06 that would be a different story.

get the marlin x7 the x7 is the short action 24, 7mm08 308 . i have the xl7 long action in 3006 they copied the Savage and Remington. it has the acutrigger like the savage and is very accurate in my 3006 i can cover a quarter with 3 rounds in blue they go for around 325.00. and 395.00 stainless and only weigh 6.5 lbs

ok thank you for the imput. but this is the rifle i have and i got it for free. i am looking at a remington 700 in 30/06 for big game. so i was just seeing what people thought of the gun and what i should put on it.

for starters a scope, like the redfield 3-9x40 with dullet drop reticle.

Eventually start looking at other stocks. Stock stevens ones suck.

There is a forum dedicated to savage rifles that has lots of info, google for it.

I have never owned one, but I have 2 degrees in Gunsmithing so maybe I can make some informed suggestions. That said, here is my answer to your question. If it doesn't have a scope that's your first addition. A sling would be a good idea too. You don't mention if it has iron sights, but BUIS are nice to have. Since you got it free you can accoutre it to your taste with minimal total investment. The $ you didn't spend on purchasing the rifle can be spent on ammo. If it doesn't have the Accu Trigger you might look into the cost and feasibility of installing that. The first rule of an SHTF gun is have a gun. Several folks made comments as to better rifles and calibers for combat, but you probably aren't besieged with people offering you M1As, FALs, or even SKSs for free. You are also probably not beseiged with ravening hoardes of zombies, North Korean Marines or common criminals threatening to overrun your position in human waves. You have a rifle that has a good reputation for accuracy and reliable operation, and for which there is a good assortment of after market goodies. Don't load it up with Tacti-cool gingerbread. The gun club I belong to has sight-in days for the public, and one fellow brought an SKS that looked like he went through the catalog and added everything that he thought looked cool. After firing over 100rds it still didn't shoot to POA and he went home with a rifle that looked like it belonged on a SWAT team, but he couldn't hit anything with. My plain Jane SKS with banana wood stock, original magazine and sights was easily sighted in. It doesn't look like a trick fightin' gun but it shoots where I aim and it works well enough to trust. If you don't reload, watch Big 5's ads. Once or twice a month they offer .223 at reasonable price, so buy some and practice. Save your brass and find somebody who does reload. If you decide later that you need something with more power get a Mosin Nagant (Big 5 has those on sale too) and a 440 rd spam can of ammo (Ammoman has free shipping) with the $ you saved with your free Stevens. Congratulations on your free rifle - practice as much as you can afford and enjoy it. Should it ever come down to where you do have engage nefarious dirtbags they will probably go bother somebody else after you drop the first 2 or 3.

Thank you all. And by the way it has a scope but he said it might be internally busted. I have other guns too. By the way thanks for the input trent3535 aka DAD. I am a good shot and the gun is damn accurate I am pretty happy with it so far.

ok thank you for the imput. but this is the rifle i have and i got it for free. i am looking at a remington 700 in 30/06 for big game. so i was just seeing what people thought of the gun and what i should put on it.

Congrats, you made a great first "choice." That rifle will kill all the coyotes you can find for many years, inexpensive to shoot too. One possible problem - we're gonna see how good a shot you are cause we know the rifle shoots!! :) Get some cheap fmj bimart ammo and break it in properly, you'll be a happy camper. The redfield is a good suggestion for a scope or find a used leupold varix II, start there and shoot as much as you can afford. Also learn to clean the bore properly. Not many do and it makes a big difference on the kind of accuracy that rifle is likely capable of.

Congrats again, somebody likes you!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads