JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Woodpile Report
<broken link removed>

Here's a tidbit of useless knowledge. When the Sten's barrel was covered with a wet rag or cloth, the sound it produced when firing was shockingly similar to that of a heavy machinegun. Soldiers would often make use of this fact to scare German troops into thinking they were far better armed than they actually were.

The Pivotal WWII Gun That Nobody Wanted to Put Down- The "Plumber's Nightmare"

Churchill-sten-340x341.jpg

Or, maybe, very needful information ;)

Screen%20shot%202010-12-07%20at%2010.56.56%20AM.png

StenMk2b.jpg

Sten SMG Replica Plans

Woodpile Report
<broken link removed>

Here's a tidbit of useless knowledge. When the Sten's barrel was covered with a wet rag or cloth, the sound it produced when firing was shockingly similar to that of a heavy machinegun. Soldiers would often make use of this fact to scare German troops into thinking they were far better armed than they actually were.

The Pivotal WWII Gun That Nobody Wanted to Put Down- The "Plumber's Nightmare"

View attachment 308749

Or, maybe, very needful information ;)

View attachment 308750

View attachment 308751

Sten SMG Replica Plans

From the various pictures in the 2nd link, it looks like Churchill was cross-dominant: Right-handed and left-eyed. <broken link removed> (Winston Churchill. And his guns.)

Last Edited:
More trivia about the STEN smg. One of the main sub-contractors were the Lines Bros factories, makers of the well-know British tinplate toy company Tri-Ang and their mechanical [ie clockwork] offshoot, Minic. Being expert in producing precision stampings in metal, they suggested and instigated a number of short-cuts and improvements into the Shepherd design that made it even faster and cheaper to produce.

It ended up being produced for 17/3p - seventeen shillings and threepence - the equivalent of about thirty dollars at that time.

tac

Interesting that this thread would pop up right when I am building a semi auto Sten carbine. A couple of years ago I bought a Sten MKII movie prop gun off of Calguns.net. It was an impulse buy and thought it would be a cool wall hanger. Upon receiving the prop gun and a close inspection. I soon realized that everything except the solid aluminum receiver, the prop gun was 100% military surplus real parts. So I demilled the prop gun for the surplus parts. Fast forward to this spring. While looking on WaGuns.org I found a thread where somebody was selling ATF approved semi Sten parts kits. It turns out that the guy who posted the thread works with Val from Valkarie Arms in Olympia. Valkarie Arms is turning these parts kits as pistols with the short military barrels. You can see these kits on ValkarieArms.com. The kits they have are MKIII kits.
Here are some pics of what I have so far. I still have to finish cutting the receiver tube slots. I have drilled all the holes. The semi auto design is like the UZI striker system. To maintain the closed bolt, when you cock the weapon, the bolt goes forward but the striker stays back until you pull the trigger. The factory bolt has been drilled for a floating firing pin.

IMG_2700_zpshksf4cuq.jpg IMG_2699_zpstmysz0a8.jpg

Some of the comments I have been reading about the Sten this week, indicate the flaw in the weapon is the magazine - but if you could modify the receiver to accept a Glock 30+/- mag -
then I think that would resolve the complaints.

Honestly, why does everything get compared to Glock mags? Since a Flock mag is slanted forward you would have to slant the mag well forward as well. Not sure how that would look.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top