JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And we have a new proposal in OR for a "safe storage law" and one that makes us responsible for criminal actions of any thieves... what is "safe storage" in light of this incident? I am also seeing signs all over La Grande that say "Lock them up!" I don't think they mean Hillary and John Kerry, et al... I thought I read about a movement to involve High Schoolers in this effort (to promote "safe gun storage". Grrrr, politicizing students... enough!!!

Last Edited:
And we have a new proposal in OR for a "safe storage law"... what is "safe storage" in light of this? I am also seeing signs all over La Grande that say "Lock them up!" I don't think they mean Hillary and John Kerry, et al... I thought I read about a movement to involve High Schoolers in this effort. Grrrr, politicizing students... enough!!!

Sure, I'll lock em up. Right after every dirty politician, gang banger, pedophile, rapist, and thieving criminal is locked up first. I am not going to hold my breath though.

These were not good kids that went bad overnight. There had to have been warning signs and red flags everywhere.

Just like the Parkland a******, the whole deal was mishandled by the school by their handling of the situation leading up to the shooting, the Sheriff departments deputy for not engaging, the FBI for non action and local politics that made policies not to jail juveniles to make the crime numbers acceptable to City standards.

Just like the Parkland a******, the whole deal was mishandled by the school by their handling of the situation leading up to the shooting, the Sheriff departments deputy for not engaging, the FBI for non action and local politics that made policies not to jail juveniles to make the crime numbers acceptable to City standards.

But we want your guns.

I'd be willing to bet that "a locked gun cabinet" is the kind that our parents and grandparents had. You know the kind, "nice" scroll work of an outdoor scene, glass panels on each door, and a lock that can be picked with a paper clip.

Or it could have been one of the cheaper cabinets. You know, the ones without the woodland scene's on it.

The whole thing sucks! Kids being stupid!!! Absolutely stupid!!!

I'd be willing to bet that "a locked gun cabinet" is the kind that our parents and grandparents had. You know the kind, "nice" scroll work of an outdoor scene, glass panels on each door, and a lock that can be picked with a paper clip.

Or it could have been one of the cheaper cabinets. You know, the ones without the woodland scene's on it.

I had the same thought... but it works for my anti "safe storage" law rant. Probably was not a "gun safe".

Wasn't it Heller that ruled the law could not require a firearm to be locked up as it prevented quick access/use for self defense?

There was some kind of exception because they said you could use one of those finger activated quick access safes... I think that's how they get around Heller. IDK

Who was the last head of any department to take responsibility when things go wrong? We normally see a podium filled to the gills with FBI, DEA, ATF, mayor then down to every local agency including the dog catcher thanking them all for a great job of...being late to the party...I suppose. Then after 10 mins of introductions they move on to the tragedy and how the NRA is responsible.

I won't even blame the parents at this point because so many parents are powerless against the schools and state. Any attempt to correct bad behavior at home is called abusive. Daddy called me a young lady! We are at the point that can be considered abuse.

Last year the Sheriff's office decided to not renew the contract with STEM school -- the school administrators basically wanted the SRO to do traffic control which was outside his contracted duties, and wouldn't provide a secure office from which the SRO could do his work. Anyway, it sounds like their SRO became seriously ill at one point near the end of 2018 school year which brought this all to a head.

STEM shooting: Why didn't school have a school resource officer?

At the bottom of this article is a PDF with correspondence back and forth between the Sheriff and school -- worth reading for yourself rather than taking my interpretation or some random reporter's interpretation at face value. The last page is a description of job duties for the SRO and traffic control isn't listed (although the SRO did such work when time allowed). Also, the school wanted him to do his office-type work in the cafeteria or other shared workspace like Google or Facebook use (I'm sure Google and FB security are sitting on couches near the ping pong tables looking at surveillance video on phone apps /sarc) -- the Sheriff was concerned about privacy and confidentiality.

The ill SRO apparently recovered and has moved full time a second school he also worked at, and has glowing reviews from that school. So it sounds to me like some STEM school administrators were probably a bit too stubborn, arrogant, and/or self-entitled and as a result, they didn't have an SRO this year -- right when they really needed one.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top