JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

In the search bar type Steens Mountain; click on "Add Overlay"; from the drop down select " Cal Topo USGS maps".

The browser window will create a TOPO overlay on the map, zoom in or out for detail.

~Whitney

SteensMtn..JPG

If you are looking for maps to take with, you might find them at REI. If they aren't there you can order directly from USGS. Likely available on Amazon as well.

Does that mean you can access the map even when you can't get cell or internet services?
Yes. There's a few videos about how to do that and it's pretty straight forward. I go offline and call up a map of the area I had saved and GPS follows me all over the saved map. I can put in way points and markers where I want. I can check who's property I'm on and right where I am. I mostly use it when I'm scouting for places to target shoot. I can see the trails, roads and property owner.

A 1 year subscription for 1 state is only $30. Not bad, especially that you can use it anywhere in that state.
Web: onX Hunt Price - View onXmaps Cost and Membership Options | onX

I switched this view from Satellite to Topo:
OnX Steens Mtns.jpg

Be careful on maps from Amazon, I bought a Forest Service map that got here at $24 that was exactly the same as my friend bought direct from USFS for $6 with free shipping. Be sure to read the fine print

OnX, it goes everywhere that you go and has numerous features and layers to be very helpful for whatever your mapping needs are. Theres many promo codes out there to get it for $24 a year.

I have been using onX maps on my phone. You can download the areas you are going into in advance.

I'm with Helocate - mapping software on your phone and downloading area maps to use offline is the way. I used to be a paper map freak, but now it's all digital.

FYI, I use Gaia GPS rather than OnX. Same quality features, but a $40 premium subscription gets you the globe, not a single state.

If you are looking for maps to take with, you might find them at REI. If they aren't there you can order directly from USGS. Likely available on Amazon as well.

Or, if BLM (Bureau of Land Management), Forest service (State or Fed) offices are open & convenient. Can try them as well.

IIRC BLM Salem had a decent selection on hand.

Has been a long while tho.

Delorme Atlas and Gazeteer' are great to have for more overview & gap filling between quads/missing quads/not wanting to use quads on hand.

Funny story.
I was hunting antelope there a few years back. We were talking to a local large rancher. He said there were some for better more PC word, "homeboys" staying down by the hot springs. They were there a week or so walking around naked.
Well they sent a couple or cowboys down there and scared the piss out of them. They left in less in 5 minutes. Hahahaha

There's a free pdf map reader app called Avenza that I use a ton. You can download usgs topo maps from the store in the app, there's a sh-load of free maps and it works without service. There's a paid version too, but the only reason to pay is for custom (homemade on arc-gis) maps. I have even used it in the steens mountains and I can tell you there are a bunch of blm maps of that area free in the Avenza maps store.

Funny story.
I was hunting antelope there a few years back. We were talking to a local large rancher. He said there were some for better more PC word, "homeboys" staying down by the hot springs. They were there a week or so walking around naked.
Well they sent a couple or cowboys down there and scared the piss out of them. They left in less in 5 minutes. Hahahaha

Down by Bogg? I've definitely run into nekkid people, thankfully mostly women, on occasion there and the one just off the road a ways north of Fields.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top