JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've read good things about the Nitride, Melonite ect. Only it didn't hold up to heat as well. My latest one has a Nitride coated barrel. And was actually thinking of sending in the WOA barrel for treatment.

Good to know your Smith is still accurate. How many rounds of Russian ammo did you run through it so far ? Were you using Tula when you did your testing ? Sounds like it has a lower chamber pressure.

I found a picture of the casings that stuck in the Delton. Bushmasters and Colts didnt like them either according to the article. Smaller gas port.

View attachment 704332
Probably a total of 1,800 or so I'd venture to guess. It was mainly just a torture test of the Smith and Delton to see how long they'd run till malfunction with the steel cased ammo.

The Smith never did fail, and went over 1,000 consecutive rounds but was getting very sluggish. The Delton stuck a case or two at around the 420 mark IIRC.

Probably a total of 1,800 or so I'd venture to guess. It was mainly just a torture test of the Smith and Delton to see how long they'd run till malfunction with the steel cased ammo.

The Smith never did fail, and went over 1,000 consecutive rounds but was getting very sluggish. The Delton stuck a case or two at around the 420 mark IIRC.

Were you using Tula ?

Tula/wolf. At that time it was the same. The boxes of wolf actually had the Tula head stamp on them.

Just wondering because Tula took a DNF in the testing. They had too many problems with it. Only the Spikes it ran ok. Yours was from a quite a while back though.

I would think the steel cased ammo would get the chamber area dirty faster as well. Since it doesnt expand.

Those casings from your test had a good amount crud stuck on them.

I have only used Herters steel cased ammo. No issues. Ran hard at times but not tortured.

Just wondering because Tula took a DNF in the testing. They had too many problems with it. Only the Spikes it ran ok. Yours was from a quite a while back though.

I would think the steel cased ammo would get the chamber area dirty faster as well. Since it doesnt expand.

Those casings from your test had a good amount crud stuck on them.

I have only used Herters steel cased ammo. No issues. Ran hard at times but not tortured.
Dirtier in the chamber for sure! Thanks for the picture. That was a nice trip down memory lane! :)

I believe at that time the Herters had a Tula headstamp on it as well.

My main takeway was that if you shoot 15k rounds continuously with no cleaning you will shoot out your barrel. And overall you will still have saved enough to replace your barrel a few times over.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top