Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Steel .vs Aluminum

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by ironsighter, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ironsighter

ironsighter Hockinson New Member

I'm loving the new Taurus 1911's with all of the extras built in. We all love choices (paper or plastic?), what do you think of the aluminum frame versus the steel frame on these 1911 pistols?
    :thumbup: :dunno: :thumbdown:

2. PhysicsGuy

PhysicsGuy Corvallis, OR Resident Science Nut

The aluminum is lighter, so its better for carry. But usually steel frames are more durable. So if its just for HD or range shooting, steel is usually the best choice.

3. wichaka

wichaka Wa State Well-Known Member

I carry a Commander with the alloy frame, and they are made to be shot little, and carry a lot.

I put some +P thru it, just to make sure it's reliable. Even a steady dose of hardball can be taxing. But with all that said, Springfield warrants their alloy frames for life.

I also use shok-buffs in mine, to lessen the shock a bit.

4. nwo

nwo Southern Oregon Well-Known Member

When did TAURUS start making the PT-1911 frame out of aluminum? Mine is steel, and every PT-1911 I've handled has had a steel frame.

5. jcs3

jcs3 Vancouver, WA Member

I'm not sure when they started making them, but they are the 1911AL and the 1911ALR (R for Rail). Quite a bit lighter, still a great feel in your hand. Ironsighter is right about all of the extra features you pick up. Good value and the LIFETIME warranty can't be beat.

$.02