JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So who runs steel targets in here and what do you think the pros and cons are? Here is mine:

Pro: No resetting of Targets, instant gratification of a hit. sounds awesome,
Cons: Cost per target (thats why i make my own now) can not judge pinpoint accuracy. and heavy.

They are great with shoot no shoot by painting one side red and one white.

I subscribe ……I made the tree and all the stands. On the fourth set of wood stands, shrapnel hammers them lol

IMG_1155_zpsc25a3af5.jpg

IMG_1156_zps4f5ab1e3.jpg

IMG_1703_zps8cc2bc7e.jpg

IMGA0114_zpsf846a566.jpg

IMGA0116_zps2a132ff1.jpg

Last Edited:
I bought a pair of evil Roy portable targets from Brownells. I love 'em. I don't have a truck so the ability to fold up in my trunk was critical.

My wife hates paper targets. I realized that if I wanted to have her come along I needed to enable her to ring steel!

I'd love to get a dueling tree to compete with my sons and daughter but those simply aren't portable!

I like to shoot steel too, as well as aluminum plate, golf balls, tennis balls, baseballs, 1 gal. jugs of water, cans of cheap diet cola, etc. The list goes on. I really like reactive targets.

The 1/4" aluminum plates I have make a great sound when you shoot them with .22lr.

I made my own steel targets from scrap oxygen bottles.
Pros: They make an awesome ring! Can be repainted over and over and over when testing accuracy. Target can be shot 360 degrees. So far handgun rounds do no damage except the Desert Eagle .50 cal will put a slight dimple.
Cons: They can get heavy. Finding scrap bottles before they get to the recyclers. Cutting bottles down to a manageable size.
May our lives glorify God. Jesus is the reason for the season.
Michael

Hillbilly Steel Target Bells.JPG

What about ricochet? Love shooting steel but worry about ricochet, please educate me on it.

Don't be right up on them, and angle them down slightly to deflect the bullet downward. Not a guarantee not to get ricochet, but a way to minimize the risks. For the "dancing" or bouncing steel targets - it's best to engage them with some distance. I love shooting steel for the almost instant "PING" when I hit, and the silence of a miss.

Thanks, I shot at them during pistol action clubs but something about it always bothering me. I shot at my friend property and I got ricochet on my gut but it was just a tiny scratch.

closest I shoot mine is 20 yards with 556 ,x39 ,x51 , 10mm auto, 9mm, 12 buck and slugs and never a problem.

When it gets dangerous is when the face gets dimpled , then it starts throwing shrapnel at weird unpredictable angles and people sometime gets splatter.
That's why for rifles, AR500 is a must and when it does finally give up after 10,000 rounds or so don't keep shooting it when it starts dimpling easily, turn it over and use the new surface

Unless shot from an extreme angle , you will likely never see an entire projectile ricochet off of AR500. 99.9%
of the time the projectile is liquefied on impact, some falls to the ground from the target face and the rest sprays back out at 20 degrees, solidifies in the air and doesn't travel very far or with very much velocity

Almost every case of injury is from shooting damaged targets

The dueling tree I built is a pistol only target and 10 yards duels with friends are common , never a problem....yet

I have a few various sized ar500 steel targets. I love them but mostly used for pistol. 15 yd min is my rule, and glasses. Ultra-fun with .22- ding, ding, ding! I got thumped in the chest with an empty .40 copper jacket once, it stuck to my shirt! Just felt like a flick, didn't leave a mark. 100 yrds and up with 5.56 or .308 is a lot of fun too. Something about that RING keeps making me lug these around!
Okay, so they're fun for all calibers.
I use stands from Steel Horse Customs, work great. There is of course a chance of hitting the rebar upright with a direct hit and damaging it, so for longer work, I chain a plate between two stands. 4 stands with the various sized plates and a can of white spray paint, so I can see, as well as hear the impact.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top