Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Steel Shot: What is required to use it? What is the danger?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by JackThompson, Feb 3, 2014.

1. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

So I have a fantastic Japanese made Browning Auto 5 12 gauge clone, likely made in the 1980's.

It's accurate, dependable and feels awesome in my hands.

I've been told I can't shoot steel shot in it because it will tear up the barrel.

How true is this?

I'd really like to be able to use it to hunt duck in Washington, but duck hunting here requires the use of steel shot.

Is there anything that can be done to my barrel that will allow it to use steel?

Is there anybody out there producing steel-safe barrels we can retrofit our shotguns with?

2. simon99

simon99 Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Hi Jack,

As a waterfowler, I have done some research about the same issue you bring up as I have several older shotguns myself. From what I've read and been told, older shotgun barrels cannot handle the steel shot. However, you can use bismuth loads in your older shotgun or get a new barrel if one is available for your particular model. Nearly all of the newer shotguns have barrels made to handle steel shot.....so, you might use your tax return on a new gun...
    Best of luck, simon99

3. JackThompson

Hmmm, I swear the last time I looked up my shotgun it said no steel.

Now when I look it up I find several sources saying the Belgium made Browning clones couldn't use Steel, but the Japanese "Auto-Pointers" beefed up the barrels to allow the use of steel shot.

It's limited to 2 3/4 shot size, but if I can select steel or bismuth this would be a dream come true!

Is there a "Test" I can have a gunsmith run on this barrel to tell me whether it's safe for steel or not?

P.S.
    Tax return? FUNNY!!!

Last year I paid out $7,500 in taxes.. after paying that much already throughout the year.

This year I hope to have it better managed, so I only pay maybe $1,000-$1,500... I haven't seen a return since 2000.

Outdoorxj and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Outdoorxj

Outdoorxj Wilsonville Active Member

Can you shoot slugs out of it though?

5. Fast Eddie

Fast Eddie Vancouver Well-Known Member

The career politicians, worthless toads milking their 99 weeks and the all the other folks out there working hard at not working thank you, they couldn't do it without you.

simon99 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. JackThompson

Yep. It's a cylinder bore.