JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I bought new in 2014 a H&R Pardner single shot shotgun in .20 gauge with a modified choke.
The idea behind this gun was the need for a light weight grouse gun , which it is.
But if Washington goes "lead free" as it were for all hunting not just waterfowl
can I shoot steel shot through it?
Thanks,
Andy

I believe most (if not all) newer shotgun barrels will handle steel shot. If you have any doubts your best bet would be to query the manufacturer and get an answer from them directly, but I found this Q&A on Fields & Stream and the guy mentioned he talked to H&R and they said those shotguns were made with steel shot in mind.

Hope that helps!

http://www.fieldandstream.com/answe...ngle-shot-modified-choke-26inch-barrel-gun-i-

The copy & paste:

moose.gif

By samsonjohn 10 Jan 2013 3:09 pm
thanks for the help and answers. i just fot off the phone with h&r to adress thesteel shot concerns. they said there barrels. are made with steel shot in mind. cool!

YES

Vote up!
NO

Vote down!
0 votes
0 comments
Add new comment

moose.gif

I've got one in 12 gauge - it's a fun little break barrel shotgun (and I have a set of adapters for shooting various other cartridges, such as pistol calibers through it). I did a little searching about this a while back myself. They don't address it on their website or the user manual as far as I could see. And like Stomper noted, it's been discussed on various forums. As an additional piece of info to what Stomper posted, I had also read that steel shot is fine, but they said to keep it under #2, no BB sized steel shot.

You will be fine! You can shoot steel bb thru it also but I would replace the choke after about 500 rounds. You can see the wear if you look close.
Or just wait till your choke flys out with the shot.. That's what I recommend actually!!:)

You will be fine! You can shoot steel bb thru it also but I would replace the choke after about 500 rounds. You can see the wear if you look close.
Or just wait till your choke flys out with the shot.. That's what I recommend actually!!:)

If he's got the same H&R I do, the choke is built in to the barrel, so no go on replacing the choke. You'd have to replace the whole barrel, and I believe they have stopped production on these now, if I'm not mistaken.

Just go out and find out what it patterns to. You can hone it out to cylinder bore if you wish. I did mine to improved cyl which is .005 under cyl bore. works really well with BB size all the way down to #8 shot. Great little quail gun! Remember with steel shot you don't lead your shot and you loose most of the range you had with lead shot! HAVE FUN!

I believe all shotguns made after the 80's were made for steel
The local shop has a CZ single shot 20 gun I kinda want for grouse.
Then i would have to get up extra early to decide between the 10/22, the browning tbolt,the marlin 39,the Ruger MKIII and the CZ 20ga

I know what ya mean by getting up extra early LOL
For me the choices would be : My Hawken , The Southgate longrifle , the Northwest tradegun , my Remington 511 , .20 gauge 870 or the H&R. Whew! makes me tired just thinking about it LOL.
Andy

I had my family up this last weekend and my 12yo grandson couldn't keep up with me on a flat walk.
Yes it was 3500 feet higher than where he lives and yes there was about a foot of snow.
But it was on a trail we had broke in the snow

No snarky here, but steel shot or lead shot, it's an H&R! A perfectly serviceable shotgun, but we're not talking about a top of the line Beretta here. Go ahead and shoot what ever you need to. :)

I hear ya Sgt. Nambu. ( No snarks here , I have a snark bite kit LOL )
Just don't like or want to abuse my gun if it can be avoided , no matter the name or price range.
Besides these aren't made anymore , and not as easy to find as they once were , at least where I live.
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews