JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To be placed on Weatherby Vanguard S2. Talley makes Aluminum Rings and Bases in one unit, but I am wondering for long term durability if the Aluminum Rings will stand up to the recoil? Any suggestions for Rings and Bases for this rifle?

Talley lightweights are strong. Ive been running them for years. Im also using a set on my 300 WBY. Different model of rifle than what the op has, but i trust them.

Aluminum as a metal isn't great for much but heat dissipation and weight savings. I'd go steel of given the option BUT I don't see why aluminum won't work. Remember, ARs are made up of quite a bit of aluminum and have proven to be durable enough. Still don't like it as a metal, though

Aluminum as a metal isn't great for much but heat dissipation and weight savings. I'd go steel of given the option BUT I don't see why aluminum won't work. Remember, ARs are made up of quite a bit of aluminum and have proven to be durable enough. Still don't like it as a metal, though

Do you like it as an alloy though? :p

I have run Talley Lightweights on a bunch of rifles from 223 to 300 win mag. I just avoid them on really heavy scopes on lightweight rifles that kick hard.

If you are worried about it, Talley Steel rings or Leupold Dual Dovetails work great. The Vanguard will accept Remington 700 bases. Lots of options.

With no experience toward the Talley lightweights, I would defer to No Regerts' reply in that regard. They exist for weight savings and could not continue to exist if they did not serve well. For a gun specifically designed toward weight savings, or a compact rifle, they would get my attention.

(Most guides would advise their clients to shave pounds off their midsection prior to worrying about ounces on their rifle.)

As for sweeping statements regarding aluminum's integrity or durability: design, application and intended usage are more important than the material. Steel rings (of poor manufacture, poor installation or incorrect application) may fail long before aluminum ones that avoid those pitfalls.

Steel rings of significant mass can negatively affect the handling characteristics of tiny guns with wispy scopes (like some .22's) and in this case they are not only entirely unnecessary, they are a detriment.

I use DNZ game reapers on my Tikka in 338 win mag they are aluminum and have had no issues . I put them on all my rifles no lapping the scope glide in like silk .They come in many heights and diameters if you call the company they will tell you which ones you need .

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top