JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm usually one of those a-holes that only speaks up when I feel the need to complain, but in this case I think something positive needs to be said about Steel Horse Customs. A month ago I started searching for a dueling tree, did my research on-line, watched a ton of youtubes to see what other people were using. I was underwhelmed to say the least when time and time again I would see these trees with sticks for a base and thin little paddle cylinders. With a retired father who was a metal worker and a brother who restores old rust bucket Mopars into show quality cars I'm confident in my ability to spot good work. Even the more expensive dueling trees on-line I could tell from the photo they cut every corner possible to save a buck. Shooting upward towards a thousand dollars a month in ammo I know a chintzy tree wouldn't last me very long.

I had almost given up on the idea of finding a suitable tree when I came across a thread by Matt at Steel Horse Customs regarding custom targets and AR500 silhouettes. I sent him a PM with an idea of what I was looking for, basically a dueling tree on steroids. He told me no problem and sent me a quote for a tree with 3 sets of paddles (18 total) and a stem that would be lined with AR500 steel. I was a bit suspicious when I saw the price was less than what I've seen for trees that look like they should be sold at WalMart. Having nothing to lose at this point (other than money) I went ahead and placed my order. Impressed would be an understatement when I went to pick up my new custom tree. I'm a big guy and I had to pick up the stem with two hands. I used my tree for the first time yesterday and it was a blast, I was a sad monkey when the sun went down and I had to pack up to leave. I threw everything I had at those AR500 paddles, 9mm/38spl/45acp/357mag/44mag, if it weren't for the paddles flipping to the other side you wouldn't even be able to tell I hit it! This AR steel is amazing, I have an old swing plate steel target stand that has holes in it from 44mags. I couldn't be happier with the job Matt did with this tree, here's a couple pics I took before I hauled it up into the mountains for its first shoot.

fnzl3k.jpg

becxzr.jpg

savdkj.jpg

x2wi07.jpg

Fire up that torch Matt, I have a few more custom projects in mind!

www.steelhorsecustoms.com
Newberg, Oregon 971-832-0156
[email protected]

Am I missing something here ???:s0131:

What does it look like when it's all there? :huh::huh:

What is the pricing structure? :huh::huh:

Jack...:cool:

Matt has a supporting vendor thread here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fi...ws/109587-steel-horse-customs.html#post721944

I couldn't put it together for a pic as the paddles still had wet orange paint and were on cardboard in the truck drying. They were still tacky when I got up in the mountains to my destination. If I think about it next time I'm in the garage I'll take a assembled photo. What photos I did take were for documentation (I take photos of everything I own), I hadn't planned on writing a review but after being so impressed with the quality and function I felt compelled.

I had a chance to shoot at Matt's targets last Friday. It was a blast!!! In addition to the dueling tree Matt brought out the hostage stand - basically a silhouette and a rotating "bad guy" plate.
These are top notch quality targets at unbeatable prices!!! Every shooter must have one. Great job, Matt!

I had a chance to shoot at Matt's targets last Friday. It was a blast!!! In addition to the dueling tree Matt brought out the hostage stand - basically a silhouette and a rotating "bad guy" plate.
These are top notch quality targets at unbeatable prices!!! Every shooter must have one. Great job, Matt!

Sorry for the delay! I just found this post, I had a great time demo'ing my targets for you guys. That was a good day at the office! I love my job!!!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top