Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Steel Horse Customs

Discussion in 'Business Discussion & Reviews' started by PuddleMonkey, Dec 2, 2012.

1. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I'm usually one of those a-holes that only speaks up when I feel the need to complain, but in this case I think something positive needs to be said about Steel Horse Customs. A month ago I started searching for a dueling tree, did my research on-line, watched a ton of youtubes to see what other people were using. I was underwhelmed to say the least when time and time again I would see these trees with sticks for a base and thin little paddle cylinders. With a retired father who was a metal worker and a brother who restores old rust bucket Mopars into show quality cars I'm confident in my ability to spot good work. Even the more expensive dueling trees on-line I could tell from the photo they cut every corner possible to save a buck. Shooting upward towards a thousand dollars a month in ammo I know a chintzy tree wouldn't last me very long.

I had almost given up on the idea of finding a suitable tree when I came across a thread by Matt at Steel Horse Customs regarding custom targets and AR500 silhouettes. I sent him a PM with an idea of what I was looking for, basically a dueling tree on steroids. He told me no problem and sent me a quote for a tree with 3 sets of paddles (18 total) and a stem that would be lined with AR500 steel. I was a bit suspicious when I saw the price was less than what I've seen for trees that look like they should be sold at WalMart. Having nothing to lose at this point (other than money) I went ahead and placed my order. Impressed would be an understatement when I went to pick up my new custom tree. I'm a big guy and I had to pick up the stem with two hands. I used my tree for the first time yesterday and it was a blast, I was a sad monkey when the sun went down and I had to pack up to leave. I threw everything I had at those AR500 paddles, 9mm/38spl/45acp/357mag/44mag, if it weren't for the paddles flipping to the other side you wouldn't even be able to tell I hit it! This AR steel is amazing, I have an old swing plate steel target stand that has holes in it from 44mags. I couldn't be happier with the job Matt did with this tree, here's a couple pics I took before I hauled it up into the mountains for its first shoot.

fnzl3k.jpg

becxzr.jpg

savdkj.jpg

x2wi07.jpg

Fire up that torch Matt, I have a few more custom projects in mind!

www.steelhorsecustoms.com
    Newberg, Oregon 971-832-0156
    matt@steelhorsecustoms.com

2. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

+1 from me. Got all my steel targets from him. He also does nice steel sign work too (Did some for my wife's company).

3. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Am I missing something here ???:paranoid:

What does it look like when it's all there? :huh::huh:

What is the pricing structure? :huh::huh:

Jack...:cool:

4. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Matt has a supporting vendor thread here:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fi...ws/109587-steel-horse-customs.html#post721944

I couldn't put it together for a pic as the paddles still had wet orange paint and were on cardboard in the truck drying. They were still tacky when I got up in the mountains to my destination. If I think about it next time I'm in the garage I'll take a assembled photo. What photos I did take were for documentation (I take photos of everything I own), I hadn't planned on writing a review but after being so impressed with the quality and function I felt compelled.

5. PDXSparky

PDXSparky Keizer / Hillsboro Well-Known Member

Just a suggestion: next time you are buying paint for targets, get the kind that locaters use to mark lines on the ground. It comes in bright colors and dries really quickly.

6. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Newberg Oregon Member

Thanks so much guys for the kind words. I try to give everyone a great product at a fair price.
    Email me for any questions!

Matt

7. Mirzon

Mirzon SW Washington Member

I had a chance to shoot at Matt's targets last Friday. It was a blast!!! In addition to the dueling tree Matt brought out the hostage stand - basically a silhouette and a rotating "bad guy" plate.
    These are top notch quality targets at unbeatable prices!!! Every shooter must have one. Great job, Matt!

Steel Horse and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Newberg Oregon Member

Sorry for the delay! I just found this post, I had a great time demo'ing my targets for you guys. That was a good day at the office! I love my job!!!

9. bruzer

bruzer Grants Pass, OR Well-Known Member

Had not seen this thread till today. I've never had the chance to shoot at a dueling tree but it sounds awesome.
    May God bless us all,
    Mike

Steel Horse and (deleted member) like this.