JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looks like this topic has been in the dust bin for a few years. Let's revive it, OK? I am soon replacing the plastic [short] guide rod with a stainless steel one and a new 14lb factory spring in my CZ 75B. I am doing this because the CZ is an all metal gun and a plastic guide rod just seems like an affront to nature. LOL
Nothing I have read would lead me to believe that any unwanted consequences would happen with this change out. Judging the price difference between new plastic vs. stainless guide rods - CZ USA could save a few bucks per unit with a plastic part that is never seen except during cleaning. Not saying this is accurate but it does give this consumer a moment for pause. TA-DA! Now for the question. Has anyone else made this change out on their CZ and what has been your experience with it? Thanks. Pops

Stainless guide rod and beefier Wolff spring in my 75B-40S&W. Love it.
My 75B-9mm still has the plastic rod and standard spring. Will probably have a trigger job done on that some time, but don't shoot it enough yet.

Wow, timely. Somebody just broke their S&W doing that: https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/300-paper-weight.220490/
I'm not necessarily saying that your CZ is going to do that...

Tupperware vs. steel, I think not.
On point though, considering many things are built to handle >2x the design force, it's not a bad assumption that a new guide rod and spring will not adversely affect your firearm like the post cited by @Flopsweat. Maybe beef up the spring and shoot ++P ammo?

I will be installing the 14# spring as it is the same weight spring the factory installs per CZ USA data. So the only real difference will be the ss guide rod. I don't shoot +p or ++p rounds. I am figuring all should be well. If not I promise I will start another thread "Don't Ever Do This to A CZ75-85" complete with pictures of an unhappy event.

I will be installing the 14# spring as it is the same weight spring the factory installs per CZ USA data. So the only real difference will be the ss guide rod. I don't shoot +p or ++p rounds. I am figuring all should be well. If not I promise I will start another thread "Don't Ever Do This to A CZ75-85" complete with pictures of an unhappy event.
I've owned CZ pistols so I'm not expecting you to have any trouble. Those are some very well built firearms.

I have CZ's for over ten years, steel guide rods are a waste of money. I had steel guide rods in for a while then found a thread on a fourm reporting damage to the aluminum frame from battering back and forth from recoil. Took them out, put the factory nylon/plastic OEM back in and years later still working.
I would spend your money on ammo instead.

Being the old curmudgeon I am I will install the new guide rod and factory spring and shoot the stuffings out of it. With each cleaning I will carefully inspect for mechanical issues. I honestly don't expect any but I am that way with all my firearms already. Yeah, the new ss guide rod and factory spring set me back about the cost of a box of ammo. Happy I have plenty of ammo already. 3 day wekend! Shooting! Happy Memorial Day everyone. Pops

SUNDAY- Back from the range where my lovely wife and spent several hours there today. After all the discussions I was interested to see what, if any, effect the new ss guide rod and spring would have on my CZ. At the range it was the same pistol it has always been. Put about 300 rounds through 'er. When we got home and the cleaning began I could find nothing amiss inside the CZ. Even got out my magnifying glasses and looked closely. All appeared normal. Thanks for all of the feedback on this thread. Like all my toys I will inspect this one closely after each range visit. All in all a great day at the Morton Gun Club. I shot well [for me]. Cannot complain. A bonus was that I found a goodly amount of .45acp brass someone else just left on the floor. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top