Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

steel core ammo

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by oregonjoker, Aug 4, 2010.

1. oregonjoker

oregonjoker oregon city Member

Is there any restrictions on owning, buying or selling steel core ammo? A friend has some 7.62x39 he would like me to sell for him. I just didn't want to step outside the legal lines. Tx

2. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

I have purchased armor piercing ammo from gun shows in my area of Oregon and have seen it since then. My cousin is a deputy and he doesn't say ooooh you can't have that. It is however getting harder to find. I have found a place to get to get tracer and other stuff, here is the link.

Poly Gun Bags - Main Page

3. darkminstrel

darkminstrel PDX Well-Known Member

Not unless it is labeled as AP, or penetrator, then you just have to comply with local laws.

In OR I believe it's only teflon bullets that are regulated.

4. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

5.56 ammo, that is designated SS109, is a tungsten steel core bullet. You can buy it from may on line retailers. You can own it, buy it and resell it. SS109 is classified as light armor piercing.

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter

CTD sells it, and so does Cabellas, and Surplus Ammo & Arms.

It's funny how the rumor mill can put out so much mis-information.

5. jordanka16

jordanka16 Albany, OR Active Member

The restrictions are on armor piercing pistol ammo, you are safe on rifle ammo.

The reason steel core 7.62x39 ammo is no longer imported is because of the large number of AK pistols, even though it's a rifle caliber. It is still perfectly legal to buy/sell and shoot it.