Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

steel core 7.62 X39

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by slingshot1943, Nov 7, 2009.

1. slingshot1943

slingshot1943 salem or Well-Known Member

I was dissapointed that my son shot up most of two spam cans of steel core 7.62X39 years ago. I thought it was hard to come by some time after i bought it. I recently checked a lot of the wolf 7.62X39 I have and some 7.62 X54 from a milsurp spam can and the bullets all take a magnet. Seems like almost every commie bullet is steel core.

2. pakrat57

pakrat57 Reedsport Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

A lot of the commie ammo is steel jacketed so the magnet will stick to it regardless of the core.

3. 56kninja

56kninja Portland Member

Almost all the ammo I have come by for 7.62x39 is almost entirely steel.

They don't say it, and it looks like copper. But it's just a copper washing over steel. If you want to see this, just take a knife to the bullet, cut into it a bit, you will see the steel.

I actually did it myself. If I can find the camera I'll show you the pics.

I'm not a fan of the copper washing because the stuff gets everywhere even though it's easy to clean. I pulled the the muzzle break off my AK, and somehow the copper had covered the threading! At first I was worried it was rust.. But I don't know how water would get in the threading either.