JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm not sure what this threads current question is, but some ban era Colt's used oversized pins (0.171 +/- 0.002""). You can get steel bushings to convert to standard size pins (0.154"). Proper installation requires the use a a precision reamer and adhesive.

I'm not sure what this threads current question is, but some ban era Colt's used oversized pins (0.171 +/- 0.002""). You can get steel bushings to convert to standard size pins (0.154"). Proper installation requires the use a a precision reamer and adhesive.
Interesting, didnt know about these.

Thread is just about exploring possibilities of trigger pin hole fixes and mods.

If after much hard use those holes become expanded causing real problems, Brownells sells oversize pins to replace the standard ones. However it might be easier and cheaper to replace the lower, rather than repair the original one. As Jeff Cooper said, "An ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem."

If after much hard use those holes become expanded causing real problems, Brownells sells oversize pins to replace the standard ones. However it might be easier and cheaper to replace the lower, rather than repair the original one. As Jeff Cooper said, "An ingenious solution to a nonexistent problem."
Im confused, if the problem doesn't exist why does Brownells (and several others) sell readily available fixes to them?

I think id be MORE inclined to spend the time and fix the actual problem and not make a artificial or temporary fix.

Also worth pointing out the reason i mentioned threaded "bushings" is threads have quite a bit mire surface area interfacing between the soft alum and harder steel. More "bearing" surface is always better. (I know its not really "bearing surface" use the alternate definition here..) Also more area for the interference fit etc. (You can buy different tolerance taps etc if you want to.) Or "glueing", thermofit, etc.

Also worth pointing out the reason i mentioned threaded "bushings" is threads have quite a bit mire surface area interfacing between the soft alum and harder steel. More "bearing" surface is always better. (I know its not really "bearing surface" use the alternate definition here..) Also more area for the interference fit etc. (You can buy different tolerance taps etc if you want to.) Or "glueing", thermofit, etc.

Worked on / built a lot of airplanes military and commercial, production and repair / maintenance, having a real hard time remembering tapping any aluminum. Bored a lot of Close tolerance holes for pins, rivets, bolts and bushings, never threaded any.

Worked on / built a lot of airplanes military and commercial, production and repair / maintenance, having a real hard time remembering tapping any aluminum. Bored a lot of Close tolerance holes for pins, rivets, bolts and bushings, never threaded any.
True but i also remember using alot of alum fastener like hi locks and the self torqueing nuts etc. That were made out of alum. Not exactly sure what the point is. But yeah for sure theres not much "tapping" into alum. Mostly its Ti and steel nut plates etc. IF there was any threads to be threaded into alum parts they would most likely already be machined into the part by cnc. Where i worked people were WAY to dumb, let alone skilled enough to tap holes into anything. They couldnt even read the spec' and tell the difference between ft.lbs and inch lbs. Most of their brains were in auto pilot. TBH I cant believe MORE bloeing airplanes aren't falling out of the sky!

But yeah alum. ISNT the best material for tapping for either tension or shear. But this is not really either of those situations. Its more or less just floating in place dispersing the shock into a wider surface area.

True but i also remember using alot of alum fastener like hi locks and the self torqueing nuts etc. That were made out of alum. Not exactly sure what the point is. But yeah for sure theres not much "tapping" into alum. Mostly its Ti and steel nut plates etc. IF there was any threads to be threaded into alum parts they would most likely already be machined into the part by cnc. Where i worked people were WAY to dumb, let alone skilled enough to tap holes into anything. They couldnt even read the spec' and tell the difference between ft.lbs and inch lbs. Most of their brains were in auto pilot. TBH I cant believe MORE bloeing airplanes aren't falling out of the sky!

But yeah alum. ISNT the best material for tapping for either tension or shear. But this is not really either of those situations. Its more or less just floating in place dispersing the shock into a wider surface area.
So you met a couple of the leads I did. One at Lockheed (on the commercial side) couldn't convert ft# to in# with a calculator let alone liner conversions. Another at the lazy b that was near retirement claimed we weren't supposed to move the belt on a drill press, said that was facilities job (we worked every thing from plastics and composites to exotic metals). He'd burn thru any thing at whatever speed and with whatever type bit was handy.:rolleyes:

Now the Skunkworks, that was a lot more fun, better training / education and not all the felons some of the commercial shops had. There we were under more pressure to do the job right than to do it fast.

Still, a lot of reasons I can see not to tap aluminum even in a non tensioned application.

So you met a couple of the leads I did. One at Lockheed (on the commercial side) couldn't convert ft# to in# with a calculator let alone liner conversions. Another at the lazy b that was near retirement claimed we weren't supposed to move the belt on a drill press, said that was facilities job (we worked every thing from plastics and composites to exotic metals). He'd burn thru any thing at whatever speed and with whatever type bit was handy.:rolleyes:

Now the Skunkworks, that was a lot more fun, better training / education and not all the felons some of the commercial shops had. There we were under more pressure to do the job right than to do it fast.

Still, a lot of reasons I can see not to tap aluminum even in a non tensioned application.
When i was put on the HIRF team on the 787 shipside support the very first thing they did was sent me out to train with this older Asian gal who'd apparently been doing it for a while. (She wasn't flight test or anything special.)
So i head out to the plane with her and she takes a few ground measurements. Then i see here try and test one and shes poking all around the structure looking for a decent reading, then she pokes the carbon fiber! LOL. and actually used THAT for the baseline reading.
Keep in mind we were working UNDER the enginerding team and they werent any baseline standards yet for QA. We were there to figure them out.
I had to report her after that i was taken a little more seriously.
The whole entire place was a joke. I saw soo many good people get down trodden and just give up trying ro fight the union and all the retards there.

Soo many people would fail recert AFTER doing that task for a year plus.

I could go on and on.. Dont get me started on the people that would hammer the CF with dead blow hammers etc.

They opened a position on the flight line for 50 or so openings. Something like 500 people applyed. Over 200 were fired when they failed the UA. idiots didnt even know.. Good ridence i say. Shoulda done that across the entire factory.

There we were under more pressure to do the job right than to do it fast.
Man thats pretty damn funny about the drill press belt. Lol. Sounds spot on.

Heres one more example of bloeing employees AND the management.
When i worked there i did electrical whipside support. We were trained to do a mod to a wire harness and then revise the part number of the wire harness with a new dash number.
People would work their mod kit and then look for the main wire harness id tag and the number to replace it (where it should be) but per their spec it could also be within one foot of ANY of the connector ends OR within one foot of the critical flag markers used for reference. So you could literally spent days JUST looking for this bundle id tag looking high and low, some of the bigger wire bundles had probably hundreds of connectors from tip to tail.
So people would give up under to pressure to "sell a bean" and make their boss look good for getting something done. When they finished a mod kit they would give up and just slap the bundle id on when they couldn't find it. The new bundle id's were pre issued in the mod kits parts. So anyway years go by and then they finally started realizing they had MANY wire harnesses on all the planes where they tried to figure out what part number it actually was and what work had been done and what hadn't. They couldn't figure it out. LOL. So they spent the entire summer gutting the entire planes, im talking like LN 8-21 or something like that. It caused so much rework (and so much had already been done besides this issue) that the planes were already past their serviceable life span. Pretty much all fasteners and holes and fasteners had been oversized as much as possible. They couldn't even really sell them for half the price. I dont know if anyone ever bought them. They were basically riced out hondas all zip tied together.
When all this was happening we were at a massive team meeting one morning and i asked my team lead infront of everyone "why dont you just NOT ISSUE the wire harness ID's in the mod kits and make it so people couldnt just print one out (if things werent bad enough, we actually DID have our own printer in our cell! Cant make this up lol!)
And then you only issue us the new bundle ID's and when we bring you the old one?" Therefore WE HAVE TO FIND IT...
And then i said "never mind i only pretend to care" because i knew how bubblegumty bloeing was at that point and that it would NEVER change to save its life. (And also technically you cant remove the only wire harness id to bring it out and replace it, but didnt stop them from doing what you cant do anyway)
My team lead was like "i want to talk to you after the meeting, you know what meeting is over"
He proceeded to literally telll me "im only doing this job untill they kick me back to my old position" in other words dont make waves for me please.

F bloeing, ill be happy if their planes never fly over my house again. I tried damn near everything to help them. They wouldn't listen to anyone. They punished people who made waves.

Got damn close to getting into the lightening test lab in Seattle though, but i had a CAM at that point.
I quit in 2014 after they shafted us on the new contract. I know quite a few people who never even got to vote on it. My buddy was in Heathrow working on the 787 that caught on fire. He never got a vote. That whole thing was crooked as hell. I dont believe for a second it was legit.
My original trainer for unpaid pre employment training warned us all the union had been caught in bed could with bloeing before that's why legally there HAD to be police present to guard the ballot boxes.
Well none of that mattered when you hold the vote over christmas break and nearly everyone is on vacation!

When i hear the name boeing my blood boils!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top