JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ok so another forum im part of I brought this topic up and didn't receive any feed back for it so I thought I would come here where there is a little more opinion. So recently I've been into cutting foam in my gun cases to custom fit my guns in them and it got me thinking well I have a lot of cases laying around when I'm not transporting guns and they are locked in my safe, and usually I get a lot of flack from friends about all my cases just out in the open in my room. So I was wondering has anyone ever seen a suitcase gun case, besides the ones you've seen in the movies lol. Now I've seen the ones of a briefcase but I want something bigger I can put a broken down AR or my O/U shotgun when its broken down and still have plenty of room for mags or shells and some range gear. Im just womdering what a good solid shell suitcase would be to try also where could I get that much foam to fill a suitcase lol

Why not just buy a used hard-sided suitcase on ebay and cut some foam for it? I bought some huge pieces of foam - probably 4" x 24" x 72" - at a hardware store a few years ago. I don't remember it being too expensive but it might not have been the closed cell variety.

They sell O/U hardshell cases at Cabellas, its the perfect size for a broke down AR or AK with a folding stock.
Another option is just a frilly gym duffle bag. Heck, to really throw folks off tie ribbon or streamers onto it, Ive done that a few times.
Lately, Ive carried my M85 just in a simple backpack.
There are covert backpacks designed for ARs and other small PDWs.
Or a simple racquetball case holds an M85 or M92 quite nicely. As does an M60 barrel bag.

Im the same way, I don't like folks to see what I bring in my house or take out of it and toss in my car.. So being sneaky while transporting is part of my routine.

I figured this is what I was going to have to do anyways I just was curious to see if anyone knew of this being done before so I could get maybe reference pictures or ideas of what kind if setup I should get into, a local tjmaxx has some nice bags for next to nothing that I was planning on using
Why not just buy a used hard-sided suitcase on ebay and cut some foam for it? I bought some huge pieces of foam - probably 4" x 24" x 72" - at a hardware store a few years ago. I don't remember it being too expensive but it might not have been the closed cell variety.
igured tis

ok so another forum im part of I brought this topic up and didn't receive any feed back for it so I thought I would come here where there is a little more opinion. So recently I've been into cutting foam in my gun cases to custom fit my guns in them and it got me thinking well I have a lot of cases laying around when I'm not transporting guns and they are locked in my safe, and usually I get a lot of flack from friends about all my cases just out in the open in my room. So I was wondering has anyone ever seen a suitcase gun case, besides the ones you've seen in the movies lol. Now I've seen the ones of a briefcase but I want something bigger I can put a broken down AR or my O/U shotgun when its broken down and still have plenty of room for mags or shells and some range gear. Im just womdering what a good solid shell suitcase would be to try also where could I get that much foam to fill a suitcase lol

Why not use a guitar case or another instrument case? Or tell you're friends to mind their own business. I can't imagine getting flack from "friends" over cases laying around.

Why not use a guitar case or another instrument case? Or tell you're friends to mind their own business. I can't imagine getting flack from "friends" over cases laying around.
I thought about that too, but if tossed in an unwatched vehicle, thieves LOVE to steal and resell musical instruments and a firearm in there would be even better. It kept happening my my friend in portland so he made a "trash" covering sheet that he'd just put over his stuff. It made his car look like a hoarder vehicle.. But it was fantastic camouflage.

I thought about that too, but if tossed in an unwatched vehicle, thieves LOVE to steal and resell musical instruments and a firearm in there would be even better. It kept happening my my friend in portland so he made a "trash" covering sheet that he'd just put over his stuff. It made his car look like a hoarder vehicle.. But it was fantastic camouflage.

See, there in lies the rub. Any case, box or bag that looks great, and looks likes it's built to protect something expensive is a target for thieves. It doesn't matter if it's housing a firearm, tool or instrument. All can be moved quickly for cash. That's why I don't leave anything in my car of value.

I don't like to advertise my firearms either so I back my truck into the driveway to the back door and keep an eye out for snoops while quickly loading. I don't like to leave the truck unattended while loaded but if I have to I have a very ratty old blanket and a couple of crumpled fast food bags that I can throw on top. BTW it's a dodge 4 door and the rear seats fold up. I have a very good alarm system too, helps with the peace of mind!:D

Im just womdering what a good solid shell suitcase would be to try also where could I get that much foam to fill a suitcase lol

There's a place called the Foam Factory (google it) that sells up to 3" foam that's great. They crush it down, wrap it in plastic wrap, then ship it in a cardboard box by UPS or Fedex. You can buy full, half, or 1/3 sheets for great prices.

If you want to fill a large area a simple way is to use some poly sheeting and the "Great Stuff" foam in a can that's used for insulating around pipes and stuff. Spray it around the area to be filled, lay the poly sheeting on it, and to keep it from foaming up too high, lay a piece of plywood on the top of the sheet. They make two kinds, one expands and the other not. If you want a form fitting pocket for an item, lay the item on top of the plastic sheeting and then press it into the foam. For this method I'd use the non-expanding foam.

Using a combination of aerosol foam and the traditional gun case foam one could use a suitcase quite well.

Another case that's seen regularly on the street is a guitar case or keyboard case. Both often have backpack straps so you can carry it on your back. Great for long guns. Just put some rock band stickers on it for further camouflage.

I take my shotgun barrel off and roll it up in a towel, then stuff it in one of those cheap folding camp chair bags. It's the perfect size!

Lol some of my friends are pretty libral so I'm always getting shyt from them, but they're good drinkin buddies so I keep them around

I don't like to advertise my firearms either so I back my truck into the driveway to the back door and keep an eye out for snoops while quickly loading.

I'm proud to have an attached garage that hold my wife's car and my pickup with plenty of room to load both behind the closed garage door. I'd rather store my useless junk in a garden shed than in my garage.

Too many of my neighbors fill their garage with crap and then can't understand why they get broken into, get "egged", or have slashed tires. FWIW, my wife's car has always been "garaged". Now over 23 years old and looks almost as it did when it left the showroom. Helps to keep it out of the bird poop, tree sap, away from neighbor's kids, etc.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews