JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Ive been on edge lately! Thanks for putting up with me!

Ive probably inadvertently snapped here a few times or at least wanted to.

Really been trying to stay positive in all this.

I've been trying to help and do what I can where I can.

Yet, it still feels like everything is going to bubblegum.

Staying positive is a huge aid in a SHTF scenario!

At least I think!

What are you all doing to stay positive?

Staying away from the news as much as possible, both local and national. I am still working although reduced hours so I throw myself into projects around the house.

Hey all,

Really been trying to stay positive in all this.

I've been trying to help and do what I can where I can.

Yet, it still feels like everything is going to bubblegum.

Staying positive is a huge aid in a SHTF scenario!

At least I think!

Dude you are WAYYYYY down the scale of "on the edge". I work in health care. I daily see people who make you look laid back and calm. The "news" has gone wall to wall trying to incite panic. Its often hard in the "information age" to not let it start to get to you. I am past 60, so prime risk if I did nothing. I go to work with the people who are sick. I guess maybe that's why I stay calm? Who knows. One coworker of Wife is being told by her family to quit her job because of me. Her family is telling her I will bring the plague home to my Wife who will then give it to her. The woman is at the point of full on panic break down.
My favorite was a woman who went all panic on me a few nights ago who wanted to go out and smoke. When told if you come in to the quarantine area to visit someone who may die you PPE up coming in and you stay in. You leave you stay out for the day. She wanted to go in and out to smoke. When told several times this is not happening she chose to leave without seeing the loved one as the smokes were too important. As I left with her I told her the smoking would kill her a lot faster than this plague she was so damn scared of. She of course got mad, I did not care, I had had more than enough of her.

I decided to treat myself to a steak before work. Went to fire up the Propane grill, damn hose connection will not seal :mad:
So ordered new one from Amazon. fired up the Pellet grill that had not been used in a long time and it works. So cooking a nice steak before I face doom :D

I try not to think about my RN wifes exposure to covid positive pts at the hospital, and enjoy life living in the moment before our family might catch this bug. Working outside rain or shine clearing and pruning. Thinking about all the things I look forward to once this all blows over some day. We saw a very bright double rainbow the other day and 4 deer in the pasture, a few bald eagles circlin above. I take pleasure in the small moments of beauty still going on around me. Spring is coming, thats always pleasant.

Only check news once a day.
Skype with kids, grandkids, brothers.
Finish 1-3 new tasks a day: some small, some just finishing something I started awhile back.
Go for a walk with the wife, even if it rains [shorter walk if it rains].
Keep all the lights on and windows open during the day [gloomy weather gets to me].
Listen to music that is soothing or reminds me of good times.

Several times I've just sat on the couch in the family room with a cup of coffee, lost in thought. Thinking back on my life: identifying the good people, happy memories, past commitments I've made, adversity overcome or avoided, etc. I've thought about my parents, grandparents, several favorite uncles and aunts - the reasons why I have lasting good memories of them, and how I might do the same for people in my life.

I drove over to LaGrande to see my dad a few days before he died. At that point he was finally bed-ridden and failing fast. He lit up when he saw me. While he briefly lamented not being able to get to the cafeteria and game room to see his other veteran friends, he said he had a plan to make the best of the time he had left. He told me [for the umpteenth time] the folks that worked in the nursing home only got minimum wage and had to be around crabby old people all day. So he had decided to happily greet each staff member by name that came to check on him, tell them how much he appreciated the care they provided, and offered to pray for them. We got a lot of nice cards from staff after he died.

dad.jpg

Only check news once a day.
Skype with kids, grandkids, brothers.
Finish 1-3 new tasks a day: some small, some just finishing something I started awhile back.
Go for a walk with the wife, even if it rains [shorter walk if it rains].
Keep all the lights on and windows open during the day [gloomy weather gets to me].
Listen to music that is soothing or reminds me of good times.

Several times I've just sat on the couch in the family room with a cup of coffee, lost in thought. Thinking back on my life: identifying the good people, happy memories, past commitments I've made, adversity overcome or avoided, etc. I've thought about my parents, grandparents, several favorite uncles and aunts - the reasons why I have lasting good memories of them, and how I might do the same for people in my life.

I drove over to LaGrande to see my dad a few days before he died. At that point he was finally bed-ridden and failing fast. He lit up when he saw me. While he briefly lamented not being able to get to the cafeteria and game room to see his other veteran friends, he said he had a plan to make the best of the time he had left. He told me [for the umpteenth time] the folks that worked in the nursing home only got minimum wage and had to be around crabby old people all day. So he had decided to happily greet each staff member by name that came to check on him, tell them how much he appreciated the care they provided, and offered to pray for them. We got a lot of nice cards from staff after he died.

View attachment 680199

Ah, man......:s0058: So sorry for your loss.

All I'm doing is Keepin' on Keepin' on! Not much else to do. I work solitary so what work I have helps.

Not particularly happy, but not down. Other than a brief morning period right after I wake up, and realize it's another day in "Virusville". Staying completely away from television news is the only way to go! Talking to a gal at a job and hearing her belittle President Trump tells me she watches the talking heads. :(

SUN'S SHINING! Gotta go find something to do outside!. Alone! Social distanced from people, AND the current situation!!

Thinking back on my life: identifying the good people, happy memories, past commitments I've made, adversity overcome or avoided, etc. I've thought about my parents, grandparents, several favorite uncles and aunts - the reasons why I have lasting good memories of them, and how I might do the same for people in my life.
solid GOLD!!!
Thanks for identifying a most valuable personal resource.

Reno,

When not reading/posting here, I stay super busy working outside .

Working outside keeps me positive!

Works to keep the virus blues away!!

Plus, I'm so tired when I finally hit the hay, I sleep throughout the night.

I concern myself with what I have control over, and that which I don't have control over I deal with one step at a time as it presents itself. The key thing is to keep your mind disciplined and not get bogged down with fear, because it'll possibly cost you or your team (or your loved ones) their lives. Stick to your training (whatever that may be) and focus on what you do best. It's OK to feel stressed, but take that "energy" and focus it into something constructive, and the time will pass quicker. You can mourn for, or rebuild from whatever your losses were when you make it through your current situation. This is even more important when you have people (like children) who depend on you to be a leader.

FYI- I'm alive (several times over) because of it.

The greatest thing people fear is the unknown, and they'll "what if" themselves to death over it. I'm seeing that start to percolate into forum posts more than usual.

Stiff upper lip, carry on.

Thinking back on my life: identifying the good people, happy memories, past commitments I've made, adversity overcome or avoided, etc. I've thought about my parents, grandparents, several favorite uncles and aunts - the reasons why I have lasting good memories of them, and how I might do the same for people in my life.
@Dungannon - thank you for sharing. You are blessed to have such an exemplary father. Godspeed to him, peace unto you.

@Reno, dark humor pervades my mind, and it keeps me in a good mood.
I should print up some zombie targets and we should go ventilate them.

Pantry is stocked, freezers are full, bathroom tissue stash sufficient, ditto for sanitizing wipes and spray. The basics are covered, that's a level of peace of mind. I'm fortunate enough to work from home during this time, so a good portion of the day is already accounted for there.

The children, both of them, are remote learning, one UofO senior, the other local school district,so there's helping there as well. Sharing cooking and cleaning duties with the Mrs to take pressure off her too. Walking several miles a day with the dog is a great stress reliever.

Planning a range day this week for my own mental health, then there'll be the cleaning and reloading...

Yea, I'm coping with it, limiting my ventures for provisions and masking when I do. Becoming a germaphobe during this time, we've escaped it so far and my intentions are to keep it out of my home and away from my family.

Stay safe, stay alert, stay healthy, both physically and mentally...

I have been too busy to really have or analyze much of an emotional response. My particular rôle in the family (immediate and extended) and the organization I work for has me going nonstop before the sun rises until after it sets. There were some serious family-related issues before the pandemic hit, so that just exacerbated things.

However, upon reflection, and to answer your question:

• We had all the key preparations (food, water, medicine, equipment, supplies, fuel, arms and ammunition, financial reserves, know how, et al.) in place before it started. It has just been a matter of shoring up supplies, reorganizing and prioritizing as needed, and rolling with the new normal.
  • Time has been the real problem for us, for various reasons. And there has been no easy answer other than looking to the future.
  • The precious little time I have been able to spend with my spouse, in every manner, has been invaluable, a joyous blessing, and a source of strength.
  • As with other times, I've found rigorous planning for the future is both helpful and therapeutic. That is drafting lists, crunching numbers, various modeling, or visually diagramming various projects, et al. Some with pan out, some won't, and some are just for the giggles. Other than a brief amount of time expended, there is no loss on the latter two. I have a folder setup called "Aftermath" that is just for said.
  • I've tried to ignore the noise and blather. It is a constant, but only grows louder during an emergency, so it is not always easy.
  • Keeping physically fit, while not as simple pre-pandemic, has been key. (I'm kind of annoyed because I was on an outright fitness tear, including lots of gym time, before the blasted thing hit.)
  • Puffing way on a fine cigar has provided a brief moment of quiet and introspection some days.
  • Lots of people are complaining about not working and having so much free time to read, watch movies, do hobbies, etc. I've found my normally sunny disposition has been positively instrumental in not punching them in the throat. :p

I think we are all, myself included, to one degree or another, "on edge" and are sometimes not nearly as polished in our delivery right now. At the end of the day, broadly speaking, we're all friends here, we all want our country to do well, and we all seek the best for our family.

And, on that note, here is wishing you all health and prosperity, with an eye to the future. Some day, one way or another, this too will pass. Godspeed, my friends. :)

Man is but a specimen under glass, of something they themselves created.
Whether you manage the maze of riddle, is up to you, in how you play the game.

Me and mine are doing just fine. ;)

Watching the general populace struggle with the simple concept of "stay the eff home" or even "wash your GD hands" en masse has been amusing. Like Walmart people-watching on a grand scale...:s0140:

Not really a good activity to keep me positive, except I'm positive there are a lot of really dumb people everywhere.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top