JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

After spending this deer season mostly dry to move into a soaking wet Elk season I started thinking about how important it is to be and stay dry in the outdoors. Staying dry becomes vital if you plan on being in the wild for more than a day (for hunting, hiking, or SHTF). So I thought we could put together a thread on tips for keeping yourself, and your gear, dry and ready to go.

Here are a few of my own observations to get started.

CLOTHING:

1. Avoid cotton in the wet months. Once cotton gets wet it stays wet and has zero heat retention. Stick to wool, synthetics, or a blend. I like to wear military surplus wool pants when out hunting. Not only do they keep me warm and shed water but they are virtually silent when walking and brushing up against shrubs.

2. Boots. These should be waterproof and breathable. We're in the PNW. There is nearly a 100% chance you'll either get rained on or have to walk through some water. Wet feet are no fun. I recommend boots that go up to the shin so you can walk through small streams without worry.

3. Gloves. Frozen and wet fingers make being outdoors miserable. I like wearing gloves when outdoors as they protect my hands from both the elements and prickly bushes. In the summer I wear the mechanics gloves but in the rainy months I use waterproof gloves. Be aware that some gloves are labeled as "weatherproof"...this just means they block wind and some light rain but will absolutely soak through in a downpour.

4. Rain gear (gortex ect). This material is generally pretty loud and "wooshes" too much for my liking. However in a downpour it's what you want to stay dry as even good old wool soaks through. I've found that wearing an old military BDU top over my Carhart jacket deadens the "wooshing" sound.

CAMPING:

1. Mud room. Have a dedicated space that you can take off and hang up your wet gear. This can be as simple as a tarped area. In a downpour it's no good crawling into a dry tent with wet equipment on.

2. Waterproof everything. I put all my gear (both what I carry while hunting and at camp) in waterproof containers. This can be as simple as a trash bag. Even my sleeping bag always has a gortex bivy cover. You never know when a tent or pack may spring a leak and the last thing you want is a wet sleeping bag.

So what are your tips and tricks to staying dry on the hunt and in camp?

Good stuff, Union! I also use a portable propane campfire pit, along with propane Mr. Heater's in the mud room. My mud room is the kitchen area and is a 10x10 popup canopy that is open to one side and backed up against the cabin tent. The propane fire pit helps a bunch when it's raining outside and the wood for the fire is too wet. Having an open end helps release all the bad carbon monoxide that can make you sick if you breath it too long in a confined space. There's a lot of propane use in the kitchen! (pics are from Central Oregon, but would be the same on this side of the Mountains).

9-28-19 Mike Hunt 2.jpg 9-28-19 Mike Hunt 12.jpg 9-28-19 Mike Hunt 26.jpg

Good stuff, Union! I also use a portable propane campfire pit, along with propane Mr. Heater's in the mud room. My mud room is the kitchen area and is a 10x10 popup canopy that is open to one side and backed up against the cabin tent. The propane fire pit helps a bunch when it's raining outside and the wood for the fire is too wet. Having an open end helps release all the bad carbon monoxide that can make you sick if you breath it too long in a confined space. There's a lot of propane use in the kitchen! (pics are from Central Oregon, but would be the same on this side of the Mountains).

28F41DFC-BA6A-49A0-905A-3A117D5B4B51.jpeg

Geez, Bill….. just a light breakfast before starting out? :eek:

:s0112:

BTW- unless your wearing rubber boots or "ducks", there's no such thing as "waterproof" boots (not even Gortex Danners).

I wear knee-high Sealskinz waterproof socks to keep my feet dry, and they work awesomely. Keeping your hooves healthy, clean, and dry as possible is EVERYTHING out in the field.

Keep your shoe leather well oiled. This will not only keep your feet dry but will also prolong the life of your boots. I have found that high quality shoe oil is superior to grease because grease tends to soften the leather too much. YMMV. Dry at room temp and re-oil after each exposure to wet weather.

ETA: This goes for other leather items as well, i.e. belts, rifle slings, scabbards, holsters, etc.

The dew on the brush gets your pants wet, even when there's no rain. So, I use cut off my old neopreme fishing waders to forge the brush. I stay warm and my pants are dry!

I am a fan of Gore-tex. Expensive but light, breathable and waterproof. My Sitka is reasonably quiet. Not perfect but if it's that wet or rainy they are quiet enough for most big game. Crispi boots do stay dry. So do my old Danners. (New Danners are why I wear Crispi Boots now.) My Muck boots are sometimes best if I'm crossing a lot of water but I can't hike distance in 'em. Instead, I wear gaiters if I'm in a lot damp brush.

Been hunting Coast for years and I stay dry or drier than when I waterfowl hunt anyway.

"Mud room" is great advice btw - Thanks Cogs

I always end up wet, even if I keep the rain off then I sweat too much under a rain coat, even gortex. I bring 2 pairs of boots and lots of socks and dry stuff on the floor boards when I am driving. Couple pairs of nylon pants, underwear, etc. agree with only wool and synthetics.

Merino wool base layers and socks. When you do get wet, you won't get cold.

Carry a couple pair of socks with you as well, especially if you're wearing Muck, Lacrosse or similar neoprene/rubber boots.

I also can't stand rain jackets and hoods I can't hear a damn thing with a hood over my head. I wear a Kuiu Yukon ran jacket and a Filson Tin cloth packer hat.

View attachment 1069886 View attachment 1069887 View attachment 1069888
So many memories of my youth days in the hunt camps looking at that pic..great stuff.

Muck Boots, Tin Cloth Chaps, wool pants and socks, a good winter weight layered parka are about as good as it gets, will keep you dry and keep the brush from tearing you up! Anyone who has hunted Swamp Donkeys in Oregon KNOWS your gonna get your legs torn up, so the Tin Cloth chaps are a must have!

Worked outdoors most of my life in Oregon. If you are active you sweat and the water goes where it can. There is no stopping you getting wet unless you don't move. So rain is outside your gear water and sweat is the inside your gear water. Your activity decides how much water you deal with.

Rain Gear
Get the best rain gear that you can afford.
Don't skimp on rain gear.
I've been using the top-line Carharrt rain gear for the past few years.
Work-tough shell and breathable.

One of the tricks to staying a little drier is to make sure that your shell material isn't soaking up water.
As quality rain gear ages, the outer shell starts soaking up more and more water.
It's never as good as new, but NikWax TX Direct waterproofing spray helps restore some of the "bead up" qualities of the outer shell.
96947778f42e4b19a9609c80f9ad56be.jpg

Gloves
If I'm working outside and it's super-cold, I'm wearing gloves.
And I'm rotating two pair.
The standby pair is inside my shirt over each man boob.

When you rotate them out, you have a nice toasty pair to put on.

Backup
Whatever you think that might be practical for your situation....don't have just one, have two.

Last Edited:
Clothing is easy:

Buy Kuiu clothing, Kennetrek boots and drink a beer because you realize you just made the best purchase ever and now you can hunt, hike and stay out longer.

Worth every single penny.

I just looked at the Kuiu website. How can you AFFORD a beer after outfitting yourself?
Well,

Slowly acquire items. Ask for them for dads day, Christmas , etc. when they have a sale jump in it. Go to the Kuiu Facebook trading page. Great deals on slightly used or someone who got wrong size.

But under no circumstance don't cheapen beer. Just came back from hunting. My buddy brought a 18 pack of keystone light. Got it for like $3.99. He won't get invited back. I made him pack out both front quarters as punishment.

Well,

Slowly acquire items. Ask for them for dads day, Christmas , etc. when they have a sale jump in it. Go to the Kuiu Facebook trading page. Great deals on slightly used or someone who got wrong size.

But under no circumstance don't cheapen beer. Just came back from hunting. My buddy brought a 18 pack of keystone light. Got it for like $3.99. He won't get invited back. I made him pack out both front quarters as punishment.
Friend, I am beginning to like you.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads