JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Opposite problem I have....I work 5am-2pm. Awesome schedule for being able to grab the kids after school and get to activities on time....until you're falling asleep at the baseball games because you've been up 18 hrs :confused:. Even after 10 years of the same schedule, my wife will give me funny looks if I try to go to bed before 8...:rolleyes:

Ahhh....the joys of being a parent :D

Some people can adapt to graveyard, but I never could. It kicked my azz.

Yup, me too. Raised on a farm, up at 5 AM (or when the sun came up, sometimes before), back to bed by 8-9PM or when the sun went down.

Working shifts in the canneries, never could get used to anything but the day shift, which of course everybody wanted.

I am light sensitive too - put me outside when there is sun and I have energy, take away the sun (cloudy) and my energy drops. Put me inside, especially at night, and I will fall asleep.

This especially kicked me in the posterior when I went into the military, especially boot.

The worst is rotating shifts. Knew people who worked at various plants that had rotating shifts where you work one shift for a week to ten days, then the next shift and so on. Played havoc on their systems.

If a person works a night shift then it is best to stay on that schedule on days off if at all possible.

A lot of studies have been done on this subject and the one that made the most sense recommended that the employer of a large mining operation follow a 25 hour clock (following the moon cycle).
Day shift employees would start work at 8:00 am for 5 days then clock back in the next week at 9:00 am and they would follow that pattern starting work an hour later every week all they way through the night shift, finally working their way back to the day shift.
It gave all the employees an opportunity to adjust and the company had fewer on the job accidents.

The worst job schedule I've heard of was a friend of mine that worked at a large paper printing plant (phone books) and he would work one 12 hour day shift and then get twelve days off.
He then would work two 12 hour shifts and then get eleven days off until he was working twelve days in a row with only one day off.
By the time he finished the 12 days on the job he was like a zombie.

one of the roughest schedules i ever had was when i was working on a farm when i couldnt find work around 2008. i was 20 years old and was laid off from my last job. it was seasonal work bailing/buckin hay. i worked 7 days a week 14-15hr days for 94 days straight. it helped that i already had experience runnin tractor and equipment being that i grew up on a farm. my wife and i had just started dating. id literally get home and fall asleep within minutes after i got outta the shower.

i encourage any young High school or right outta HS kids needin summer work to go find a farm. its good for ya. i wouldnt trade that experience for anything. now, ive currently been at my current career for 10 years.

Worst shift (besides 12 days in a row:eek:) was 3 days on 4 days off, 4 days on 3 days off, 3 nights on 4 nights off, 4 nights on 3 nights off.

12 hour shifts

Did the same 3 on 4 off then 4 on 3 off but only days, that was a pretty nice schedule with lots of time off.

Man.... while stationed in Heidelberg Germany pulling security duty for the USAREUR CINC, we'd work 7 days straight 0600-1800 on duty, but you had to get up a couple hours prior to kit up and draw assigned vehicles/weapons and stand guard mount inspection prior to traveling to your post to relieve the "midnight shift" at 0600 SHARP!

Then 1800 rolls around... the midnight shift shows up to take over... 10-20 minutes late (consistently... WTF!), you go back and turn in all your vehicles/weapons to where they belong, dress down and have to do platoon PT for the next 1.5 hrs... then after that, spend time prepping your uniform and shining boots, weapon/vehicle maintenance.... go get cleaned up and try to sleep for 3-4 hours before you do it all over again the next day (which was already here)....

THEN after those 7 days were over you got 1-2 days off, one (if not both) of which was ALWAYS taken up with platoon training.

THEN after those "days off".... you'd do the same thing but on "midnight shift" from 1800-0600....

THEN after that, repeat the outlined dayshift cycle.

THEN after that, repeat the midnight shift cycle.

THEN after that, repeat the day shift cycle.

Almost 2yrs of that.... 3-4 hours of sleep a day, 19-20hrs a day on your feet, almost everyday.

I've never been in an Army unit where so many of its members hated each other's guts (and the whole world for that matter) so much... but GD, we were a force to be reckoned with because of all the anger!

Since those days I have OUTRIGHT refused jobs that required rotating shifts.... FRAK that!

Sticking to that has worked out pretty well for me, actually. ;)

I worked for USAA as an Auto Claims Adjuster in Phoenix for about 6 years.

Back in 2010, there was an especially bad hail storm season across the nation. I volunteered for the CAT team that solely took and processed storm claims.

I worked 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, from 7am to 7pm, for 84 days straight. My two week paychecks, before taxes, were $6k.

Speaking of military stuff, I gather the navy chronically operates sleep deprived like crazy.
Saw a couple articles on it.
It's no wonder you put 18 yr olds in charge of big boats and expect them to not sleep you get shart crashing in the night and stuff.

Speaking of military stuff, I gather the navy chronically operates sleep deprived like crazy.
Saw a couple articles on it.
It's no wonder you put 18 yr olds in charge of big boats and expect them to not sleep you get shart crashing in the night and stuff.

When at sea on a 6-month cruise, our normal schedule was 12hrs on and 12hrs off, 7 days a week, until we pulled into port. Then we got 2-3 days off. Would go a couple of months without a day off.

One of the worse schedules I had was instructing Mk 118 defensive weapon systems (trident submarines ) to new fire control petty officers on the mid shift. Nothing like instructing to those that would rather be sleeping.

We tried 48 on/off for a while in SAR. I kind of liked it because it resulted in more time off. Plus, in SAR, whatever kind of shift schedule there was, you wound up with the same sleep/work time - when a boat was sinking/etc., and you were on the boat crew, you were out there working.

But it seemed they didn't have enough manpower to maintain it, so we went back to rotating crews, 24 hour duty (you could sleep at night, but had to be onboard the station and ready to go) which included working an 8-10 hour day for normal non-SAR duties (maintaining the boats, doing rounds, etc.). The junior enlisted (below E-4) got the worst of it; they had to stand 4 hour watches, so they got less sleep - especially if there was a SAR mission. 'Officers of the day' (OOD and EOD) had to do rounds until bedtime and first light.

Then there were the missions, which often meant no sleep. I could not sleep on any boat - too seasick, especially on the 52' MLBs. Once had a 36 hour mission where everybody was super seasick - nobody could sleep. Sleep deprivation combined with exposure and work (setting up tow, maintaining the tow, navigation, coxswain duties, engineering duties, shortening the tow) meant everybody was exhausted when we went to cross the bar. Total cluster **** resulted in backing over the tow line and fouling both screws. Coxswain wound up in hospital with ruptured stomach lining from dry heaving - his side of the pilot house was covered in blood. Our eyes were mostly swollen shut with sea spray.

Never want to go out on the ocean again.:(

On the Ballistic Submarines, we worked 18 hour days, 6 on, 12 off. Go on at 6am, get off at noon, go back on at midnight, get off at 6am. Talk about screwing with your internal clock, lol.

I'm jealous of your shift. Been trying to get my employer to put me on similar, best I've gotten was 10am to 8:30pm. If you really want to stay awake, try night shift. I did that for a couple months and quit. Hours were 10pm to 7:30am. I wasnt ever sure what day it was

Worst shift (besides 12 days in a row:eek:) was 3 days on 4 days off, 4 days on 3 days off, 3 nights on 4 nights off, 4 nights on 3 nights off.

12 hour shifts

Did the same 3 on 4 off then 4 on 3 off but only days, that was a pretty nice schedule with lots of time off.

I dont mind the rotating 12 hour shift too much. My wife is on that.

My schedule now is flexible, which is good and bad. Some days I'm on at 0600 and wont be off until 2200 or sometimes later.

The best is when you arrest an "I wanna kill myself" type near the end of your shift and the hospitals in the area can't get you the DMHP until 0700 the next morning....so you sit in the ER with them until the DMHP shows up.

What sucks is that since I'm not on shift work, I'm considered "unscheduled" which means I dont accrue OT until Ive worked 40 hours that week. So, if its on my Monday, if I go home, none of those hours are OT. So I stick around until 1730.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top