Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

STAY AWAY FROM ALEX AND SON'S WATCH WORKS In Portland Oregon!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Johnny, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Johnny

Johnny Portland, Republic of Cascadia Active Member 2016 Volunteer

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }
    I took in a vintage 1943 Omega WWII Royal Air Force Pilots watch for repair. Alex and Son's told me it needed a new "Staff Balance"and it needed to be machined for $300 to$400 dollars. I had done some research and found that not to be the truth, so I went back to get my watch, not wanting to do business with people who lie and when I went to retrieve the watch, They told me they could not find it. A few days later I got a call that they have found it and when they returned it to me, they returned it to me in pieces.

I took it to another Watch Repair who works with Vintage Omega watches and was informed that the parts that were returned to me did not even belong to my watch. I was told they could and would never allow the watch to even tick if the parts were not broken and in good shape.

The theory is that Alex and Son's scrapped my watch for the rare parts thinking I could not afford to fix it. My looks are a bit “redneck” and “hippy” like and I did not boast any ego about my watch. They thought I did not know the monetary value or historical value and information about this very rare watch made only for British Bomber Pilots They may have judged me by my cover and not the book. If anyone here is interested in the full details of this theft by Alex and son's please feel free to email me and I will forward you all the emails pertaining to this con and theft by Alex and son's Jewelry and watch works. my email is Jxxxx.L.Rxxxxx@gmail.com

DO NOT LET ALEX AND SON'S EVER TOUCH OR WORK ON ANYTHING YOU VALUE.

showroom_onhermajesty_24.jpg

2. TOVO

TOVO SW WA. Active Member

I am always reminded there are two sides to every story. It would be good to hear from the watch store also on there side of the story.

3. scrandall01215

scrandall01215 Washougal,WA Well-Known Member

If this is true and the watch is a high value item I would simpley sue them and when you win ask for attorney fees which the judge will surely award.

orygun and ZA_Survivalist like this.
  4. Johnny

I just want to warn people. I want the world to know about their bad business practices. I'm not the first I have found out but I do want to be the last.

5. Johnny

I do not mean to offend anyone. I also have proof of their actions and its being fixed with non original parts as we speak, its the $$$ value that is trashed now. Sentiment is still intact.

6. Armchair Operator

Armchair Operator Beaverton Active Member

I took my Omega Speedmaster there about a year ago to replace the crystal on it. They put in a factory crystal and polished the bracelet free of charge. My father in law bought a Tudor there a few years back for a fair price. I've always found them to be fair and honest. Just my experience though.

-AO

7. Johnny

I agree with you. In the past no problems. I think it started when they said that a new staff balance would have to be machined for $400 bucks. I told them to hold on and let me make some calls. I found out that it was BS. When I went to pick up my watch later. They could not find it! A few days later I got a call and picked it up... In parts! II took it to a person who does vintage war watches and he told me that these parts would never work with my watch and he couldn't even tell what brand they were... One day it worked well with the parts in it and not the parts would never work work with the watch even if the parts were new. I went in with a busted balance staff and left with a bunch of wrong parts in a little plastic box.

8. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

How do you know the internals were original to begin with?

9. Johnny

T

10. clearconscience

clearconscience Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

If you have proof a civil lawsuit would teach them a good lesson. In my experience if they did it to you it's just a matter of time before they do it to other people.
    Just be careful they could hit you back with defamation if you don't have actual proof.
    I'm a strong believer in sending a message. And making things right ( getting even)
    I'm an honest person and expect honesty from others, when people cross me or try to steal from me it's time for payback, legally that is. I'm not saying going all sopranos on someone

11. Johnny

Proof. It first started with Alex and sons when they lied about the avalbillity of a part. The lie. I have photos from years back of the inside of the mechanism. The new repair person, more costly and experienced told me the parts they gave me would never work for my watch. Alex and sons had lost my watch when I went to get it back after the lie about having to pay a machine shop to fabricate a part for almost 3 times to just order from a nationally known watch repair supply shop in KS city. And best, they return it in piece's with wrong parts and missing parts. Why? I don't know. I had to replace the odd parts with scrapped parts for an extra $200 I would have never had to pay in the first place in Alex and sons had not lost or stole it whatever...

I watch is fixed as of yesterday but please be careful of Alec and Sons watch works. Portland ,Oregon

12. justinsyndicate

justinsyndicate Jantzen Beach New Member

There is no 'Alec and Sons watch works'.

If you are talking about Alex & Co Jewelers Watchworks at 770 SW 10th, I can vouch as to their honest dealings. I've purchased 2 Rolex, 1 Breitling, and 1 Omega from them over the course of 10 years, and had watchmaker Kelley rebuild my grandad's 1970 Bulova. Honest dealings always, and have been made to feel welcome on every visit. Alex is so flush with Pateks as well as gold and diamonds, trust me he doesn't need to rip you off to the tune of a few hundred pesos.

13. albin25

albin25 Lewiston Idaho Well-Known Member

I would love to see a picture of the watch

14. Johnny

here it is fixed again.... I still need to pick it up and pay for it. $200 dollars to replace the parts Alex and sons "lost" or whatever, the total was $705.00 to get it back to original, yes Ouch but hopefully it will work for another 70+ years

Omega Rainey.JPG

albin25 likes this.
  15. Johnny

Im glad you have had good luck with them in the past, I have also as well but things have changed, read the bad reviews at www.yelp.com the quality used to be great and a Portland Staple business... This is why I am so discussed now by their work and ethics

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  16. billcoe

billcoe PDX Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter

I appreciate the post and thank you for the heads up. Pretty dramatic story. Glad that in the end it worked out and someone could save your rare watch.

I need to get my late great uncles vintage Elgin a new crystal and cleaning. Of course, the financial value is nowhere near yours, but sentiment alone to me makes it much more valuable to me. Does anyone have a place they would recommend that I take the watch?

Edit: I went to yelp and they have a lot of options I could choose from. http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=elgin watch repair&find_loc=Portland, OR&ns=1#find_desc=antique watch repair

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  17. Johnny

The guy I found is at www.watch repair.cc. His name is Terry and he is here in Portland as well.

18. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar Tigard, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I had Terry clean and repair my dad's vintage Vulcain watch and he did a great job.

19. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I never paid more than $ 30 for a watch and at 57 years old, I sure as hell never will. I get it that watches are like other things that people buy, but I have one that I have had for the last 8 years and it tells me the time every time I look at it. Bi Mart $ 29.00

And I do own 2 heirloom family pocket watches that were given to me, by 2 uncles. Values are likely north of $ 1,000 each. Safely in my gun safe.

NoFlinch likes this.
  20. Johnny

Alex of WatchWorks has offered compensation for the time the watch was at his shop agreeing to cover added costs to my repairs. I won't really ever know what happened. Its all been finger pointing at others, he said, she said. Whatever mistakes were made, Alex of watchworkspdx.com still has solid business ethics. Nobody in this story has admitted any wrong doing so some things will still remain a mystery.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2014