JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Many years ago we would go to CV, but it became combat hunting. So, we found out that we had a family friend in Burns, and we haven't gone anywhere since. It's been a few years since I've gone though.

We did East of Klamath Falls two weeks ago and it was okay. It is a densly populated area and we did not feel comfortable shooting anything bigger than our 17HMR's. Only found one guy with suitable hunting refused us due to problems with guys being irresponsible and shooting holes into irrigation pipes. The alfalfa was about 2" to 3" tall so all we were able to see is mostly heads and shoulders. Very few standing tall. Might have been because they had been shot at alot. There was still enough to always have 5 at a time in my 20 power scope. This is actually a significant problem for the farmers. Some fields, that had too many houses around them to shoot were chewed down to the dirt. The farmer that let us hunt had nothing green within 100 yards of his house due to what they call "Squeeks". We mentioned sage rats several places like Big R and some gun shops and they paused and looked at us like we were here to hunt the dump for actual rats. Then someone would ask if we meant Squeeks. Call them Squeeks and you will get the red carpet.

You can probably also call them ground squirrels and people will know what you're talking about. I grew up a little ways outside of Klamath Falls.

Too bad the grass is getting tall. Might have to wait for the 1st cutting of alfalfa to head back there. Happen to know what area you were at?

Hey Drew,

Another K. Falls guy here. Grew up on a ranch in South Poe Valley, half way between Malin and Bonanza. We always called them Prairie Dogs or Ground Squirrels. Many a day we'd shoot them little doggies with our 22's. Hours of enjoyment. It didn't take much to amuse us! Nothin else to do!

Bill

I am headed back to Shelby, MT on the 8th of next month to shoot what the locals call "gophers"!.....Not braggin but just sayin we shot about 1500 last June in 6 days of shooting!!!:s0155:I grew up in N. Central Ore and we called them "sand rats".....funny how they all refer to the same lil "Squirrel"!!!!!......"Ride hard, shoot straight and always speak the truth", Col. Jeff Cooper.....

Hey Drew,

Another K. Falls guy here. Grew up on a ranch in South Poe Valley, half way between Malin and Bonanza. We always called them Prairie Dogs or Ground Squirrels. Many a day we'd shoot them little doggies with our 22's. Hours of enjoyment. It didn't take much to amuse us! Nothin else to do!

Bill

Originally from Malin. Shot a lot of them with 22's close to where you grew up too. Great way to get rid of a brick or two of ammo.

my aunt and unkle bought a place between monument and kimberly in 67, talk about sage rats yeehah. my unkle used to buy a brick a day for my cousin and me and sick us on the rats. shoot for a while, gather up some caracses put them in a pile and hide and wait for the buzzards. shoot a buzzard or two and start over. good clean farm kid fun:s0155:

Was their name Hellbush by chance?

I couldn't tell ya what there name was over there in Burns. I last heard they sold/lost the ranch. But I used to go with Brian Clark, and the Dials boys. I know that Obrist's owns some property before you get into Burns, but they never had any rats. Maybe one or two.

I went to school with Tony Hellbush here locally.

Funniest rat story ever! We were headed out to the fields early one morning, and we spotted Butch Tones (old local barber) truck out in a field. So, we went to say hi. Well, here is his truck, and boat hooked up behind it. All of them passed out, and fishing rods in hands. So, we wake them up and ask hows the rats? They got so drunk and decided to go fishing, and ended up in field thinking they were in the lake. :s0114:

For E. of Klamath Falls, I'd go 140 and take the Bonanza turn off to the right, and from right there it's good land to ask about. Go right through Bonanza and in a couple of miles you come to some Juniper desert hills which don't last long at all and then you drop down into some real hunting ground. Just keep going and asking. There's some serious irrigated grain and hay land out there.

On 140, if you don't take the Bonanza turn, you soon run out of spots. Before the Bonanza turn, it's pretty crowded, and tight among the hills and river.

I couldn't tell ya what there name was over there in Burns. I last heard they sold/lost the ranch. But I used to go with Brian Clark, and the Dials boys. I know that Obrist's owns some property before you get into Burns, but they never had any rats. Maybe one or two.

I went to school with Tony Hellbush here locally.

Funniest rat story ever! We were headed out to the fields early one morning, and we spotted Butch Tones (old local barber) truck out in a field. So, we went to say hi. Well, here is his truck, and boat hooked up behind it. All of them passed out, and fishing rods in hands. So, we wake them up and ask hows the rats? They got so drunk and decided to go fishing, and ended up in field thinking they were in the lake. :s0114:

Thats funny stuff. Almost got that drunk once,, came to my right mind after the second shot at that springer! Yes tony is Fred's son. His family lives over there. Fred left Tillamook about 8 years ago. Tony used to be a pretty good wrestler.

Got back yesterday, rats were ok. We had a good field until 6 hawks decided to show up. The bunny hunting was awesome. Every year we do a competition, throwing the shot rabbits in the bed of the truck. Losing truck cooks breakfast. After 3 hours they had 48 bunnys we had 78. Doesn't get any better than that. Had one coyote that was out from the house and I turned him around with my nephews 270, I must have led him too much.

Nice hunting. I can't say much for the people pointing guns at the camera or the guy pointing one at his head. Budweiser? Coors? Moonshine? Jack Daniels?

So this year we are heading over early May. The rats depend on the weather and when they cut the fields. If the sun is out and not a lot of wind and the grass isn't too tall then your good. We also like to eradicate the rabbit population at night so we kill 24/7.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top