JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This topic seems to be very confusing seeing how there are issues with data collection but does anyone have some studies that have been conducted to determine the number of self defense uses with firearms every year and how the numbers were determined?

I have read a couple articles on the topic that throw out numbers ranging from hundreds of thousands to millions but some have been retracted by authors and others mention the data might be inaccurate.

While I believe the number is high I want to find more concrete data preferably compiled from law enforcement agencies and not extrapolated from phone call surveys.

Your best bet if you are arguing with antis, is to cite the CDC study Obama commissioned. The source and the instigator cannot be dismissed by Antis. I would also avoid articles written about the study -- ya gotta read the original. Here is where the discussion on defensive uses starts: Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence | Priorities for Research to Reduce the Threat of Firearm-Related Violence | The National Academies Press

You'll note that they first throw out the 500k to 3M figure. Then give criticism of the 3M figure, and throw out 108k, but offer some criticism of that as well. They note that there are 300k criminal uses of guns per year (quite a bit lower than the more acceptable 500k/yr defensive lawful uses). They also note that people who defend with a firearm, are less likely to be harmed in a criminal encounter, but then follow that up with some BS about wondering if such gun owners are more likely to commit suicide or murder. But if you take those numbers and subtract the guns from the good guys, you'll have something 500k instances where a person is more likely to face harm because they don't have a gun to defend themselves. 500k/YEAR is way more than all school shooting victims on a worldwide basis for all of history.

Anyway though, if you start there, even the pro-gun stuff is only begrudgingly made, it should give you a strong background to discuss the topic with antis.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top