Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Statistics for drug related violent crimes

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Fisher Bill, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Fisher Bill

Fisher Bill Tigard Member

One of my customers sent me this link, pretty revealing as to why some of these tragedies take place, is everyone up on their meds? :paranoid:

Index to SSRI Stories

2. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Yes, psychopharmacology is the variable no one dare mention - the stakes are too high.
    The guns have always been there. Even the violent games - who didn't play Army when they were a kid??
    What's different?
    Maybe it's the lack of family guidance, the social isolation, and the indiscriminate dosing of young people with SSRI's any time a mom brings them to a doc - maybe those are the things that have changed since the Sixties.

Anyway, by my count about 85 people have been murdered in mass shootings this year, which amounts to 0.6% of the homicide total. As bad and sad as it is, this "mass shooting hysteria" is a red herring, statistically speaking.

Virtually every one of those SSRI's has listed side-effects that include the propensity for violent or suicidal behavior. And you know, Adam Lanza, the Asperger case, was being given an anti-psychotic, off-label: it's called Fanapt.

These off-label scrips written by docs who shill for the pharmaceutical industry are nothing less than uncontrolled experiments performed on unsuspecting patients. The whole industry has gone nuts, IMO.

Check out what Allen Frances, the former head of the task force that wrote DSM-IV, says about the latest version, DSM-V:
    It's not too late to save 'normal' - Los Angeles Times
    You may have to go through Google to get to the article for free.

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  3. gearheadbill

gearheadbill Everett area Member

Perhaps I'm one of the lucky ones but Wellbutrin has saved my life. I take it daily and have for many years. I know that I would be dead or in jail had I not taken the steps needed to get help, part of which was a prescription for an anti-depressant. Tried a couple of others before landing on Wellbutrin. Does exactly what it is designed to do, at least in my case. Just sayin'.

joken, Mutoman, PaulZ and 3 others like this.
  4. chemist

chemist Beaverton OR Well-Known Member

Bill, I'm not saying that the drugs don't "work" on some people, meaning suppress their symptoms well enough to let them get on with their lives. But they don't cure a thing, and they most certainly have the opposite effect on a significant minority of patients, actually destabilizing them - sometimes fatally.

It's this "off-label" nonsense I can't abide. Like, "Hey, I wonder what this stuff will do on a kid with symptoms the drug was never tested against?"

5. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Beware. This is the same kind of stuff that causes people to fear Vaccinations, believe in "chemtrails" and fear firearms.
    psycho pharmacology is a relatively new science but a miracle for those who need it.

6. Fisher Bill

Fisher Bill Tigard Member

Agreed, my younger brother is mentally handicapped and has epilepsy, when we we're kids he would have seizures if he didn't get his meds.
    However, in ’66 I was put on Ritalin and now in hindsight I feel it was more of a lack of parenting than a condition that needed to be treated with drugs for I felt no effect nor did my behavior change.

My guy in Atlanta sent me this link (after I sent him an article in the WSJ covering the Clackamas incident with mention of the person who drew his carry and most probably stopped more violence,) and I was just floored at the number of drug related events that have been recorded and I suppose anyone can be on these medications and you wouldn't even know it.

SO, I’m not trying to spread fear just looking at statistics and if these therapies are working then please, stay up on the meds.

7. ATCclears

ATCclears Seattle area, WA Well-Known Member

8. gearheadbill

gearheadbill Everett area Member

I certainly didn't take it that way so no problem. I also am an opponent of "off-label" nonsense. These type of drugs DO ALTER brain chemistry; sometimes very substantially. Close monitoring, both by the patient and the prescriber, is vital. Brain chemistry is as strikingly individual as fingerprints or DNA (IMHO...I'm not a doctor). One size does not fit all; for sure.

9. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

Most of those on that list were young people taking anti-depressants that are not cleared for under 18. SSRI's are great for those they work on. (BTW: Welbrutrin is not an SSRI) They can be deadly for those that are suseptable to them.

Yes, they say watch for suicide in children under 18 on SSRI's, but the problem is not just limited to young people, it can happen to anyone that has a chemical imbalance that reacts improperly to the anti-depressant. If my wife takes an SSRI she will go catatonic (can't do anything voluntarily, walk, eat, talk..nothing) The Neurologist we went to after that happened said it happens to about 10% of the people that try SSRI's, but you never hear about that do you?