JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just for an example, found this on the Idaho Statutes, Title 18 Chapter 33,

I am not a legal expert, but the way I read it, the sale must conform to the law in Idaho and the state the purchaser resides. Since a private party sale is not allowed in Washington, it could not be done in Idaho for Washington residents. Before one travels to a state to make a purchase, research the law prior to.

TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 33
FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS
18-3315. NONRESIDENT — PURCHASE OF FIREARM IN IDAHO. Residents of a state other than the state of Idaho may purchase rifles and shotguns in Idaho, provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal gun control act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, and provided further, that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in Idaho and in the state in which such persons reside.
History:
[18-3315, added 1972, ch. 336, sec. 1, p. 913; am. 2009, ch. 110, sec. 2, p. 363.]

Just for an example, found this on the Idaho Statutes, Title 18 Chapter 33,

I am not a legal expert, but the way I read it, the sale must conform to the law in Idaho and the state the purchaser resides. Since a private party sale is not allowed in Washington, it could not be done in Idaho for Washington residents. Before one travels to a state to make a purchase, research the law prior to.

TITLE 18
CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
CHAPTER 33
FIREARMS, EXPLOSIVES AND OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS
18-3315. NONRESIDENT — PURCHASE OF FIREARM IN IDAHO. Residents of a state other than the state of Idaho may purchase rifles and shotguns in Idaho, provided that such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal gun control act of 1968, and regulations thereunder, and provided further, that such residents conform to the provisions of law applicable to such purchase in Idaho and in the state in which such persons reside.
History:
[18-3315, added 1972, ch. 336, sec. 1, p. 913; am. 2009, ch. 110, sec. 2, p. 363.]

There is a RCW that allows a WA resident to purchase a long gun from a FFL in another state if they are not a prohibited person. Someone under 21 would be a prohibited person if they tried to buy a semiautomatic rifle in another state. Someone over 21 would not be a prohibited person and could legally buy a semiautomatic rifle in another state. Some dealers choose to not sell to WA residents.

There is a RCW that allows a WA resident to purchase a long gun from a FFL in another state if they are not a prohibited person. Someone under 21 would be a prohibited person if they tried to buy a semiautomatic rifle in another state. Someone over 21 would not be a prohibited person and could legally buy a semiautomatic rifle in another state. Some dealers choose to not sell to WA residents.

Yes, and that is RCW 9.41.122 Out-of-state purchasing. The proper thing would be, should someone be selling a desired rifle or shotgun in Idaho that we (a Washington resident) wanted, would be to go to an FFL and transfer, provided the firearm meets this RCW. We would not want to get a nice gun guy or gal in Idaho, in any trouble. Also, should someone be referencing this RCW after 2019 and the 2020 legislative session, should verify it has not changed and the Idaho Statute referenced above.
------

RCW 9.41.122
Out-of-state purchasing.

Residents of Washington may purchase rifles and shotguns in a state other than Washington: PROVIDED, That such residents conform to the applicable provisions of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968, Title IV, Pub. L. 90-351 as administered by the United States secretary of the treasury: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That such residents are eligible to purchase or possess such weapons in Washington and in the state in which such purchase is made: AND PROVIDED FURTHER, That when any part of the transaction takes place in Washington , including, but not limited to, internet sales, such residents are subject to the procedures and background checks required by this chapter.
[2015 c 1 § 6 (Initiative Measure No. 594, approved November 4, 2014); 1970 ex.s. c 74 § 1. Formerly RCW 19.70.010.]
NOTES:
Finding—2015 c 1 (Initiative Measure No. 594): See note following RCW 9.41.010.

OK I think its past time for a mod to shut this thread down and lock it already, The points been made, beaten to death and still the shouting goes on...

So if the law says "put all -those- people in the chamber".... you just do it, because its the law?
Pretty sure all here know what Andy was saying is nothing like that. We are talking firearms and laws. I personally do not like a lot of the laws aimed at guns. Me not liking them does not make me ignore them. If I chose to ignore them and got in trouble? Well I would have only myself to blame. I often get real leery of people stating certain "facts" about law in public forums. The problems are many but worst is often someone is talking Federal law, not state or even jurisdiction law. Black powder guns are a GREAT example of this. I have long seen people state that since they can be bought by mail they are fine for things the state says no to on firearms. In most if not all states this is not how it works. You cant legally carry a BP firearm concealed in this state if you can not carry a cartridge firearm that way here. Just because you can buy it mail order does not make it except from state laws. This is just one small example. Over the years I have seen some amazing stuff posted on line. Figure if someone takes it as sound legal advice and gets in trouble they only have themselves to blame but, still sad to see it happen.

Just a note. Decades of portraying ourselves as "law abiding citizens" and carefully towing the line are what have given law makers the idea that a gun ban will be peaceful. Nobody is afraid of someone who strictly obeys all laws. We need to not only change our outward appearance, but also our attitude.
If youre not willing to break the law in defense of your rights, why not give them up right now?

Last Edited:
Just a note. Decades of portraying ourselves as "law abiding citizens" and carefully towing the line are what have given law makers the idea that a gun ban will be peaceful. Nobody is afraid of someone who strictly obeys all laws. We need to not only change our outward appearance, but also our attitude.
If youre not willing to break the law in defense of your rights, why not give them up right now?
Sadly what gives law makers the "idea" is those law makers keep winning election. Hard to make a law maker who keeps their job, stop doing what they are doing. Want to see real change? Get people to start kicking some lawmakers to the curb. At first those who win may not be a lot better, but you have to start somewhere. If you can't get gun owners to vote in mass you are never going to get them to face arrest in mass. This sounds great, makes a great bumper sticker and all. So far a lot of gun owners are all in on every new anti gun law that comes along. These are not the kind of people who are going to the mat for you. The solution to this is voting.

I was pretty sure all handguns and stamp-required guns had to have a background check completed between strangers. Guess I was wrong.......
This is a fairly new thing. Used to be very common for sales of firearms from one to another. You never could do that with NFA stuff from the time they were regulated but everything else was fine. I still have bills of sale for a lot of guns going back decades. Used to make a bill of sale and give on copy to the buyer, keep the other. So if years later it ended up at a crime and they came to me I could show I sold it and when. Many here would ask for a CPL(CC License) from buyer for their own piece of mind. That was changed when new law passed a while ago sadly. :(

I bought/sold/traded approx. 60 firearms here through good old NWFA until the Background Checks for All went into effect. I haven't done one in Oregon since.

I moved to the Free State of Ohio about a year and a half ago, became a resident and promptly resumed my buy/sell/trade habit of FTF transfers with strangers (other than a cross-verification of Ohio DLs, and CCW permits for good measure).

Keith

If a thread isn't appealing to you, whoever you may be, don't read it.

No need to attempt to censor.

Pretty simple.

I like this thread.

That's why I continue to read it.

Also, pretty simple.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR