JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a new group has been formed for gun control in 2018 called "State of Safety". I only found out about them yesterday on a radio advertisement. They make the same old "just want an honest, evidence backed common sense approach to gun safety" blah blah blah.

I.e. gun-control groups in Oregon trying to re-brand and re-market themselves in a softer version.

Anyways; this brand new group apparently has lots of money to buy multiple radio advertisements and organize multiple screenings of the gun-control video "101 seconds" across the state of Oregon. Starting in Portland this weekend. The video is first, followed by a "town hall style" forum.

To me, this says "opportunity". Opportunity for people to grab a few friends and show up to fight the prejudice, fear and stereotypes these groups are projecting onto us. Opportunity to identify the language and strategies they hope to use for pushing their agenda.

Hopefully people can attend and report back what they learned.

State of Safety show schedule

Edit: Here is the list for those of you without facebook.

SEP16
101 Seconds Free Film Screening and Town Hall - Portland
Sun 1 PM
PSU Student Union
Portland, OR

SEP22, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Pendleton
Sat 3 PM · Hosted by State of Safety
Blue Mountain Community College
Pendleton, OR

SEP23, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Ontario
Sun 12 PM MDT · Hosted by State of Safety
Four Rivers Cultural Center and Museum
Ontario, OR

SEP29, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Salem
Sat 1:30 PM · Hosted by State of Safety
Northern Lights Theatre Pub
Salem, OR

OCT6, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Bend
Sat 1:30 PM · Hosted by State of Safety
Central Oregon Community College- Hitchcock Auditorium

OCT14, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Eugene
Sun 5 PM · Hosted by State of Safety
University of Oregon Redwood auditorium

OCT27, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Ashland
Sat 11 AM · Hosted by State of Safety
Varsity Theatre
Ashland, OR

OCT28, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Coos Bay
Sun 2:15 PM · Hosted by State of Safety
Egyptian Theatre Coos Bay
Coos Bay, OR

NOV4, 101 Seconds Free Film Screening & Town Hall - Astoria
Sun 2:15 PM · Hosted by State of Safety
Astoria Gateway Cinema
Astoria, OR

Last Edited:
The typical people who show up to these events already have their minds made up about gun so "facts won't matter", and you're not going to accomplish much, if anything.

It'll just be another large echo chamber... :rolleyes:
I agree with you Stomper however, it could be good to glean information from the meeting regarding their tactics and approach on rolling this out.

Oregonian puff piece on State of Safety: Poll: Oregon parents, teachers favor safe gun storage requirements

They are pushing the results of an advocacy based image marketing group as an unbiased survey. They polled 1,000 parents of children under 18 and teachers with likely leading "push poll" type questions. How many of them were MDA? The poll, selection criteria, questions, and responses were not released, so it could very well have been entirely made up.

The typical people who show up to these events already have their minds made up about gun so "facts won't matter", and you're not going to accomplish much, if anything.

Partially true. I went to one of the IP43 signature gathering training sessions, and learned a bit about the people pushing the initiative, what they were avoiding and what they were using to bolster their position. i.e. where they felt uncomfortable weak and vulnerable. As well as free training on signature gathering, and what gets signature ballot sheets rejected... I didn't have to say a word, and enjoyed a cookie on them :) Sometimes they will mention some of their other (unadvertised) plans and strategies. Valuable information to share.

SO,...........................................Henry Wessinger again? Decided to change the name of his little Panther party did he, well well, that's nice! Wonder if it's to further shield his connections to those rich Billionaires trying to buy politics?

We need to keep a close eye on this dude! Seems like a slippery snek what needs a stepping on!

This group is Henry Wessinger: About
Thanks for the link.Their survey response below I can believe but, I also believe the root of this fear is coming from the media's hype and focus on the matter. The media derives profit by focusing on negative events local and world wide. Most cable and tv news has an anti-gun agenda so they hammer on this night and day. No wonder kids are afraid, if they did the same thing regarding air plane crashes the children would probably be afraid to fly.
C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_StateofSafety_Attitudes3.jpg

SO,...........................................Henry Wessinger again? Decided to change the name of his little Panther party did he, well well, that's nice! Wonder if it's to further shield his connections to those rich Billionaires trying to buy politics?

We need to keep a close eye on this dude! Seems like a slippery snek what needs a stepping on!

Anybody who thinks this guy can be reasoned with should keep in mind that he could have chosen a real polling outfit that would use a proper cross section of the electorate and would release full details. Instead he chose one that's pretty blatant about using data to improve the public's perception of their client. Note that the "poll" details have not and will not be released.

Make no mistake - Wessinger is the elite 1%er that will use his money to impose his will on the rest of us "little people". He has already proved that he will use his money to buy whatever smarmy lie he needs to sway the public. Once he buys this law he will follow up with further restriction on our rights and don't think for one second he will stop at our right to defend ourselves. The only way to stop this guy is to do whatever we need to siphon his money away and in the process make him look like a clown.

I wonder what else he has used his inherited fortune to buy? I bet there is a lot that can be dug up and you can bet he's no choir boy (no, I'm not against playing dirty when it comes to protecting our enumerated rights).

The typical people who show up to these events already have their minds made up about guns so "facts won't matter", and you're not going to accomplish much, if anything.

You got that right!! Henry Wessinger called me a couple weeks ago because of a nasty letter I sent him. I suggested they work to make firearm THEFT a felony, rather than criminalize victims of property crime. I mentioned the 73 firearms stolen from the store in WA state, with no prosecutions of the persons caught. Crickets!

You got that right!! Henry Wessinger called me a couple weeks ago because of a nasty letter I sent him. I suggested they work to make firearm THEFT a felony, rather than criminalize victims of property crime. I mentioned the 73 firearms stolen from the store in WA state, with no prosecutions of the persons caught. Crickets!

He also procured the "poll" in this thread from an advocacy group. There is no way he would have listened to any of your points. Still, you gotta try.
Oregon - New Poll: Vast Majority of Oregon Parents and Teachers Want Guns Locked at Home

I wonder what else he has used his inherited fortune to buy? I bet there is a lot that can be dug up and you can bet he's no choir boy (no, I'm not against playing dirty when it comes to protecting our enumerated rights).

I wonder how these tools can qualify for a 501(c)3 tax exemption, when their goal is to subvert the Constitution?? I know I am probably missing something??

He also procured the "poll" in this thread from an advocacy group. There is no way he would have listened to any of your points. Still, you gotta try.
Oregon - New Poll: Vast Majority of Oregon Parents and Teachers Want Guns Locked at Home

At least one reporter asked for the questions, but were denied. If it was an honest poll, why not be transparent? Good question for people to ask in upcoming screenings.

"State of Safety declined to release a list of questions posed to respondents in the poll they released Thursday."

https://portlandtribune.com/pt/9-news/406287-304530-poll-gun-storage-issues-gather-support

That sounds like 73 illegal firearm transfers and most likely the persons arrested had criminal backgrounds. By their own firecracker rules they should be in prison.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top